Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Media Stereotype of Elvis

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:29 am

I got to thinking about this when watching the recent Diane Sawyer interview with Lisa Marie. The segment opened with a soundbite of Elvis' 1956 master "Love Me Tender."

I thought they should have used a more appropriate love song (Elvis has nearly 200 of them) and his 1971 single master "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (which Elvis did dedicated live to Lisa in 1973 Vegas) would have been the best choice to play over a montage of photos of newborn Lisa with her Dad.

Do Network TV producers -whether it be ABC or E! or A&E or BBC etc - not know that Elvis has any love song other than the stereotypical "Love Me Tender"?

This is why to this day there are great unknown Elvis songs which do not get mainstream public exposure.

(Hence the opten-suggested ideas on this messageboard for RCA to follow up 30#1 with a cd featuring great unknown under-appreciated tunes like "It Hurts Me" etc)

Where the audio snippets re concerned with that particular 20/20 TV special, I suspect "LMT" was used due to two possible scenarios:

1) The 20/20 Legal Dept tried to get "1st-Time-Saw-Face" but couldn't get permission to use it. But they did get permission to use "LMT"

2) The 20/20 staff have no clue that Elvis Presley has any poignant love song other than the over-exposed over-used "LMT"

What do you think? Am I making more out of this than it is? Are there any other examples of Elvis' legacy being pigeon-holed to a small handful of over-emphasied over-exposed tunes or photographic images?
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:36 am

probably choice 2, I'm tired of people only knowing stuff like LMT, Teddy Bear, Jailhouse Rock etc!!! There are so many songs elvis did that are of such a higher caliber (not to say that these are bad songs) that are ignored totally. One day maybe Elvis will be recognized as the artist he was. until then I guess we should be glad people remember thinsg like "All Shook Up" and the rest.