Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Media Stereotype of Elvis

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:29 am

I got to thinking about this when watching the recent Diane Sawyer interview with Lisa Marie. The segment opened with a soundbite of Elvis' 1956 master "Love Me Tender."

I thought they should have used a more appropriate love song (Elvis has nearly 200 of them) and his 1971 single master "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (which Elvis did dedicated live to Lisa in 1973 Vegas) would have been the best choice to play over a montage of photos of newborn Lisa with her Dad.

Do Network TV producers -whether it be ABC or E! or A&E or BBC etc - not know that Elvis has any love song other than the stereotypical "Love Me Tender"?

--------------
This is why to this day there are great unknown Elvis songs which do not get mainstream public exposure.

(Hence the opten-suggested ideas on this messageboard for RCA to follow up 30#1 with a cd featuring great unknown under-appreciated tunes like "It Hurts Me" etc)
--------------

Where the audio snippets re concerned with that particular 20/20 TV special, I suspect "LMT" was used due to two possible scenarios:

1) The 20/20 Legal Dept tried to get "1st-Time-Saw-Face" but couldn't get permission to use it. But they did get permission to use "LMT"

2) The 20/20 staff have no clue that Elvis Presley has any poignant love song other than the over-exposed over-used "LMT"

What do you think? Am I making more out of this than it is? Are there any other examples of Elvis' legacy being pigeon-holed to a small handful of over-emphasied over-exposed tunes or photographic images?
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:36 am

probably choice 2, I'm tired of people only knowing stuff like LMT, Teddy Bear, Jailhouse Rock etc!!! There are so many songs elvis did that are of such a higher caliber (not to say that these are bad songs) that are ignored totally. One day maybe Elvis will be recognized as the artist he was. until then I guess we should be glad people remember thinsg like "All Shook Up" and the rest.