Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Favourite Elvis-portrayal?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:34 pm

There has been a discussion about the "Elvis and Me" miniseries, on another thread. A lot of people did not /do not like it, Im'me not to thrilled about it eather. So I wanted to ask you what you favourit portrayal of Elvis' is.

I liked Rick Peters' portrayal in Elvis Meets Nixon. And I've heard so much about Kurt Russel in ELVIS, but never seen it. Wished I had though...

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:40 pm

Little Sister -

Considering he looks nothing like him, Kurt Russell's portrayal of Elvis is a good effort.

It's the lack of Elvis' singing voice which mars the production.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:49 pm

Don "Miami Vice" Johnson as Elvis

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:04 pm

Kurt Russell's performance of Elvis is by far the best. In profile he even looked very much like Elvis! His speaking voice was also quite like Elvis'. Kurt really did his homework, and his performance remains the benchmark by which all others are measured.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:09 pm

RE: That photo of Don Johnson as posted above....

bwaaa ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:15 pm

Can you believe that movie they made with Don Johnson???
I caught a bit of it on TV last summer... man what a joke.
He makes Dale Midkiff look like... Jesse Garon.

Little Sister, I also saw the "Elvis Meets Nixon" movie and although it is a spoof about the "legendary meeting",
I agree Rick Peter's does an excellent job in a comedic sort of way...
I laughed my ass-off... especially the little cane... nice touch.
He was great!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:03 pm

The Elvis meets Nixon movie sounds like it may be fun, can anyone tell us a little more about it.

As for actors portraying Elvis - well, the only one that comes anywhere near close is Kurt Russell - as Pete said - he really did his homework for this role and it shows.

As 70's Elvis, with the clothes, hair and sideburns and particularly in profile - Kurt comes as close as an actor possibly could to looking like the King. Unfortunately the film has factual errors (but then again how else are they gonna fit a lifetime into a TV movie) - for instance performing Burning Love in a bejewelled jumpsuit when the film is actually supposed to only take you up to the comeback at the international.

Kurt Russell is a class act though - and if you haven't caught him in 3000 Miles To Graceland - and you dig action movies with witty one liners - do yourself a favour and pick up a copy.

To be fair I'm not keen on biopics in general - and less so with Elvis biopics but if I had to pick one it would be Elvis The Movie.

As for that guy in Elvis and Me - he should have stuck to that sci fi series Time Trax, cause he was one of the worst on screen Elvi.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:49 pm

Just about all of the Elvis bio movies have sucked, in my opinion. No one ever does him justice. I do agree that Kurt Russell probably came closest and did his best not to embarress himself.

Elvis meets Nixon is a fun farce. It is based on Elvis' visit to Nixon in 1970 and is actually fairly accurate in many ways, although it is obviously a caricature. Ronnie McDowell does Elvis' voice...again...Jeez, can't they find somebody else who'll do a better job???????

Some of the best scenes take place in the Oval Office with Elvis and Nixon harmonizing to "My Way". Classic stuff. I'd definitely spend the $4.00 on a rental, just to catch this thing once. It's good for a few laughs.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:05 am

Clint -
I don't recall any scene with Kurt Russell doing Burning Love in Elvis. Admittedly, I haven't seen the film in at least 15 years, and my memory might be fuzzy, but I just don't recall Burning Love being in that film. In the 69 Vegas/jumpsuit scene he does Blue Suede Shoes, and then you hear American Trilogy in the background while he's in a karate pose. Set me straight on this if I'm wrong.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:19 am

Hi Pete

There are two versions of this movie........one runs for not far short of 3 hours - this is the version which includes a longer end segment with Burning Love.

The original TV version is the longer.....the cinema and home video release has a far shorter running time.
Last edited by ClintReno on Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:20 am

ClintReno - Here you can read some fun facts about the Elvis meets Nixon: http://www.chron.com/cgi-bin/auth/story.mpl/content/chronicle/features/hodges/hodges97/hodges0809.html

None has mentioned Val Kilmer. Let's not forget that he played Elvis in True Romance. I kinda liked him, even if he was a bit fuzzy and homicidal.

If Hollywood were to put a big load of money into a movie about Elvis. What era would it cover, and what actor would play Elvis, if they followed your wish?

For me it would probably be the time before the army. Maybe about the romance with June Juanico (I'm a sucker for her book!!). And as Elvis' I would want them to cast a completly unknown guy. Otherwise I think it will be to difficult to "become" Elvis. What do you think?

It would also be cool if they made a movie out of one Daniel M. Klein books. With an unknown actor in the leading role ofcourse.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:24 am

Actually, I have seen the Don johnson movie years ago. I remember "It's Only Love" playing on a transistor radio as "Linda" laid out by a pool.
And "Bob" was the one-man composite of the bodyguards.

---------------------------------

Re: New actor to portray Elvis. Call me crazy but I like the way he appeared in Forrest Gump. Granted the "face" was fuzzy out of focus but they need to CGI-Face an actor of similar build. That is the only way the Elvis you see on screen is going to be believeable.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:30 am

Little Sister

Thanks for the link ! :D

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:46 am

I thought Michael St. Gerard really caught the spirit of Elvis on the short-lived 1990 TV show. He didn't get Elvis' shyness at that point in his life but he and the show at their best really got what Elvis was all about.

Russell was better than adequate.

I thought the Elvis/Nixon movie was vile, not necessarily because of the subject matter but due to the smug, superior tone.

The McDowell songs have been a weakness of nearly all the Elvis movies. He does not sound a lot like Elvis. He actually does a better job on "The King is Gone". This really hurt the tv show since original masters were used for every other artist. Granted there were some informal where a recording wouldn't work; McDowell should have stuck to them.

Priscilla said they used McDowell because using recordings as famous as Elvis' would have made it obvious the actor was not singing. As if anybody would hold the contrary belief. As it is, it is obvious the person singing is not Elvis.

The real reason McDowell is used so often is most probably RCA's excessive licensing fees. BMG has been more liberal in its licensing policy but when RCA was in charge, they really jacked up the price. The makers of the Richard Gere movie "Breathless" wanted to use "Suspicious Minds" on the soundtrack. However, RCA's fees were outrageous so the producers went with an imitator.

Don Johnson

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Isn't that a great pic of Don Johnson doing Bruce Springsteen. The likeness is uncanny! Whaddya say Doc JC?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:58 pm

I really don't care for those silly biopics. You guys state that Kurt Russell comes close in Elvis The Movie. Maybe he does in some scenes, but like most of these kind of movies the makers (writers and such) don't get their facts right.
Along with the lack of Elvis singing in Elvis The Movie, it's also the lack of accuracy with regard to Elvis' life and times. The songs don't match with the suits and clothes, and so on, and so on...

On the other hand Russell is ok in Miles To Graceland. But that's probably because it's no bio on Elvis' life.
It's been a while since I saw it: but doesn't Russell do a nice playback to Such A Night at the end?

Bye
Sonny

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:12 pm

"Such A Night" at the end of TTMTG is absolute COOL!!!
That is definitely the highlight of the flick.
That and when Christian Slater gets shot!!!
Man, I hate that guy.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:14 pm

A lot of people just hate Slater. Why is that?
The guy is always talking about Elvis.
Remember the opening of True Romance?

Sonny

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:20 pm

do you remember "road to graceland" ( aka finding graceland ) ?

harvey keitel ( who is looking like elvis as much as me :lol: )
do a nice actor performance very sensitive and emotional

this is not a bio but a nice movie "in the living spirit of elvis memory"

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:22 pm

Hi Guys

Actually, my favourite portrayal of Elvis is by a guy called Elvis Presley in the movie "This Is Elvis" :wink:

Ok, there were some scences that had to be done by actors, but for the most part, it was the King himself. IMHO the Kurt Russell movie doesn't even come close. I just hate anybody saying thankyaverymuch if it isn't the man himself :lol:

thankyaverymuch

Clarke

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:29 pm

Ok, Clarke...

But I just hate that Elvis wannabee voice-over on This Is Elvis.

Sonny

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:38 pm

Hi Sonny

Yeah, you're right, I'd forgotten about that. It's a while since I seen it.

Still, it's great to have so much great footage in 1 movie. It still brings a tear to my eye to see the extremes of the 1977 Elvis singing "My Way" interwoven with clips of the 50's Elvis, especially that scene from King Creole where he blows a kiss from the balcony. Very powerful stuff.

Clarke

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:52 pm

During "I'll Remember You" of the "Elvis The Concert" performances
they play a montage of Elvis' career on the two side screens.

Man, when I saw that for the first time in Detroit at the Fox Theatre
- with Elvis singing on the center screen and the band playing live down
below him and the montage rolling on either side - I was bawlin'.
No kidding. You could have heard a pin drop in that audience.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:19 pm

Hi Brad

I know what you mean. I saw Elvis The Concert in Glasgow a few weeks ago and it was amazing to watch that part of the show. Very well done and I reckon it pulled at every beating heart in the whole audience.

Clarke

elvis portrayals

Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:41 am

how about David Keith in Heartbreat Hotel? That has got to be the all time worst. Although Dale Midkiff was pretty bad too. Maybe not him so much as the make up people. I got the feeling they said, "Aw, f--k it. He doesn't look like Elvis anyway." Those side burns at the end were hideous!