Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Should Elvis have made "pop videos" in the late 60s and early 70s

YES
75%
NO
25%

Total votes : 8

Why didn't Elvis make pop videos in late 60's early 70's?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:37 pm

They would have given him great publicity.

Can you imagine how cool they could have been?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:41 pm

I think pop videos really weren't being made that early on. It was well into the seventies I think that pop videos came into being as a promotional tool.

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:45 pm

Sorry, but there are many pop videos from Elvis.

All his movie song clips or most of them are Pop Videos.

Example : Rubberneckin, Edge of Reality, Return to sender, Jailhouse rock...many many songs are really clips

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:45 pm

That's true Sam, but the Beatles were making those promo films for Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out and Paperback Writer/Rain back in 1965 and 1966. Maybe Elvis should have done the same thing.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:50 pm

Harty wrote:Sorry, but there are many pop videos from Elvis.

All his movie song clips or most of them are Pop Videos.

Example : Rubberneckin, Edge of Reality, Return to sender, Jailhouse rock...many many songs are really clips

You're quite right, Harty but they were scenes from a movie, I'm talking about specifically made promo films.

Certainly, Elvis' early movie song scenes could be regarded as the forerunner of the modern pop video but, doesn't that mean that any song from a musical is a pop video - even before Elvis? such as the songs from Singing In The Rain?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:10 pm

Just a thought here....

Too bad that Elvis didn't do any promo videos during the late 60s/early 70s.

Those of us here in the USA might recall a weekly music program that was on back then. I'm referring to "American Bandstand". (Yes, I used to watch that show during the late '70s and during the '80s).
As we all know, Elvis never appeared on the show. Had Elvis done some promo videos, AB could've shown them, and his newest recordings at the time could've received a boost.
(I understand that Queen never appeared on the show, but during the 1970s, their videos were shown - and this was before videos became the norm).

Tom (from Ohio)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:21 pm

sam wrote:I think pop videos really weren't being made that early on. It was well into the seventies I think that pop videos came into being as a promotional tool.

Here in Sweden a lot of the big pop acts made videos as early as -65. I would hardly think that Sweden was before America with this... :-)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:05 pm

I know the Beatles made some Early ones to send to America so they didn't have to perform over there, but i thought promo videos to help with the sale of records weren't usually made way back then. I'm not talking about making music shows but promotional videos.

:?: