Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Paul Oakenfold remixes Rubberneckin

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:50 pm

Let me say that Paul Oakenfold is one of the best dj's in the world so I have high hopes for the Rubberneckin remix. He's an expensive guy to get to do remixes nowadays so it seems BMG really want this to be of the highest quality and to be a a top 10 hit.

A recent example of his work is 'Starry Eyed Surprise' which I thought was great. Also he worked on The Matrix Reloaded soundtrack. He is a huge score and a better DJ than JXL. I'm suprised they managed to get him to do it, I know he wont wanna be out done by JXL.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:12 pm

Sounds very promising!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:14 pm

Do we know when this will be available, just a bit impatient. :D

:mrgreen:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:25 pm

When ALLC (remix) was released i wasn't proud of it. When i heard it i thought, oké. I have to say that the f**** up beat makes me burp up my evening meal including dessert. I was glad for Elvis that he was back on top of the world again. But, that was enough for me. For me no Burning Love or Ruberneckin' remix. And don't care sh** who does it. DJ Holkenback or Porckenstein. Well even if it was Wolfman Jack i won't buy it. ALLC was an bonus on ELV1S. So maybe they put all of the 429 to follow remixes for the future on one box to be released in 2010. Remixed by DJ FDTD. That's DJ Flush Down The Drain. All kidding aside i don't feel much for another remix on what song ever.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:32 pm

Fantastic News. The more remixes by The King the better. We must move with the times to keep Elvis' Legacy in tact. The general public expects the best sound from CD product and a lot of Elvis tracks do not cut it soundwise. Just compare 'Sharp Dressed Man' by ZZ Top to 'Devil In Disguise' or 'Blue River'. No contest in my opinion.

I also look forward to possible duets with other artists and a 3D Touring version of 'Elvis The Concert'.

Way to Go Elvis.

Brian :D :D :D

Oakenfold

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:15 pm

Its great news that BMG have gone for the very best, in securing the services of Paul Oakenfold. The guy has been around a long time, and will bring a different sound , than the "big beat" sound that was given to ALLC.

Hey Brian, i dont quite get the comparison with ZZ Tops` "Sharp Dressed Man" ?

Re: Oakenfold

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:23 pm

[quote="Ez]
Hey Brian, i dont quite get the comparison with ZZ Tops` "Sharp Dressed Man" ?[/quote]

You're not the only one Errol. Maybe thats as up to date musically as Brian gets ;)

I can't agree the more remixes the better either........ALLC was a one off phenomenon largely helped by the Nike ad campaign and as a promotional tool to sell a greatest hits package it probably worked better than anyone could have predicted.

Too many remixes will merely muddy the water - if people don't like the recordings the way they were originally then it's their loss.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:42 am

it's good news, but I think "Let Yourself Go" (68 Version) lends itself to be a natural follow up. To me it seems it would have a greater imapact on today's market than rubberneckin'

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:30 pm

I still think that BMG should update most of the Elvis Catalogue with new musicians and cut out much of the overdone vocal backings. I used 'Sharp Dressed Man' by ZZ Top as a comparison in sound. You can take many new examples by George Strait, Mariah Carey and a million others to prove my point. Just imagine BB King adding the new backing tracks to an Elvis Blues Album.

By the way, I love the originals and have done for the past 48 years. It's just that when one hears the backings some artists get - another example is Neil Diamond - then I feel frustrated that Elvis cannot achieve that sound. However, Elvis' voice remains timeless, it's just that some of the backings, in my opinion, do not cut the ice for today's market. In fact, when I was buying ALLC in a local branch of HMV here in the UK, a man aged about 30 came up to me and said that he did not normally buy Elvis records because of the sound but would buy ALLC because it sounded great.

Brian

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:39 pm

I prefer the original releases, but if Elvis can make a big hit again such as ALLC ;-)
The song that I would like to see to be released is Memphis Tennessee, with adding some heavy bass. That would be a smash hit.

remixes hit the pot!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:05 pm

hi there, just a few thoughts,

we are all Elvis fans but rightly we all have different views on the treatment of the Elvis catelogue. I loved ALLC. The backing was great and importantly opened up a whole new market with a new generation. The eworld cup ad in Europe/Far East was perfect for hitting a younger audience. I reckon a re-mix by a well respected DJ with the right marketing will also be a huge hit. This should in turn push the sales for the 2nd to none CD. I think BMGs thinking on this is spot on but time will tell.

At the concert last week in Manchester I was really pleased to see so many young people there having a ball! They actually love Vegas Elvis and all it stands for. Fingers crossed for the success of Rubberneckin and 2/2 None (although I would have chosen Let Youself Go also).

cheers Jamie