Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A Hundred Years From Now- Will Anyone Be Listening To Elvis?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:30 am

What do you all think- will people a hundred years from now be listening to the music of Elvis- or for that matter any of the so called "classics" of the rock era? Or to put in another way- Is Elvis the Beethoven of today?
If Beethoven and other classical artists are still played and listened to hundreds of years after they were actually alive-will this be true for the rock artists of our time?

Nashnet

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:19 am

No doubt about it. Like all great clasical composers, he'll be remembered as long as they (the future generations) love to hear music. Why? After being dead for more then 25 years he's immortal. Proves are the concerts right now in Europe. Performiing big stadiums without even being there fisicaly. In what form they have to listen at that point to his music i don't know. Maybe they don't use the cd format anymore. Well let's wait 'n see. Time will learn. What we at least could do is hand it over to our kids. It worked with mine. Don't know how they like his music when they're grown up. At least they know who and what he's was.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:23 am

I think times have changed. Records are easier kept and with the cheapness of memory, the important things are going to stay. Elvis in a 100 years...ABSOLUTELY!!!! It would at least take a couple hundred for people to even begin to forget.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:14 am

Nashnet -

Count me out [unfortunately].

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:20 am

Yes people wont forget the greatest. In my reincarnated body I will have to start collecting all over again. Wonder if I can leave a message for myself of where to find my collection. Might be valuable by then. :lol:

:oops:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:47 pm

People haven't forgotten Shakespeare or Jesus, why would they forget about Elvis?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:26 pm

Hey Sam here is you opportunity to say something memorable. Do it for 600!!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:29 pm

Damn I missed my opportunity. this is 601. :shock:

:oops:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:40 pm

I wonder what you guys are smoking :D

To compare Elvis with Shakespeare and Jesus Christ :!:

If we want to know how Elvis would be perceived 100 years from now then look back at the vocalists of the first 50 years of the last century.

Is Caruso a hot item at Wal Mart? Or Lanza?

Bought much Al Jolson lately?

Or perhaps you frantically download Bing Crosby at every opportunity?

All big artists in their time - but not today because their music is no longer relevant. We have no idea of musical styles or the medium of choice in 100 years - but we can be certain that rock and roll will sound as outdated and irrelevant as 30's big band vocal music today.

And by the way Beethoven was a COMPOSER - like all composers their music appeal lies within the PERFORMERS interperatations. "Suspicious Minds" might be a hit for someone in 2100 but the Elvis versions will be so outdated.

Let us enjoy him and let the future come the way it wants to

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:46 pm

Sorry KIWIALAN I disagree completely. You are forgetting the image of Elvis as a American Icon. That is why the Statue Of Libert looks like Elvis and NOT the other way around. :P

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:04 pm

I wonder who made that Americon Icon sitting outside New York.

Not those dreaded frnch by any chance.

Elvis may be an icon -but like Lady Liberty, Babe Ruth, Henry Ford and Apple Pie won't be getting any airplay in 2100 :!:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:07 pm

OK Kiwi. I'll bet he does...How Much :wink: :lol:

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:13 pm

My Falcon against any Holden you put up.

See you in the United States Of Australasia :D

Meet this day 10am 2100 by the Johhny Howard statue outside the Ole Opry Clam House Music Hall and Restaurant :lol:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:16 pm

OK I'll be there. :lol:

:twisted:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:19 pm

Our young granchildren are Elvis fans their children will hear him of course-question answered.

Elvis' voice was/is just so beautiful and the great mass of Elvis stuff will always lead to the recordings. Discerning listeners will be led to him just as we are led to Beethovens beautiful music through recordings! Checkmate!

Some countries have no concert halls or orchestras modern recordings have changed everything. Crosby was a crooner with a limited vocal range. Elvis Presley was the ultimate singer, his voice will echo down the ages.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:21 pm

I pretty much agree with you there Maurice. :D

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:31 pm

I don't know about Australia, Kiwi, but here in the states, Babe Ruth is still quite a giant in the memory of baseball fans, and the Statue of Liberty is an icon found all over the place, not just in the New York / New Jersey harbor. And Henry Ford is still a big part of American history, on a number of levels. And Apple Pie is still a staple, as is mom.

I do think Elvis will (and already has) remain as part of the American fabric, if only of something great from yesteryear. Besides, he needs a bit of rest for parts of the American public that got sick of the post-death adulation and hype. I see Elvis looking much better after the attention on the worst excesses of Elvis fan(atics) and impersonators fade away.

P.S.

While I don't have any Caruso (I do recall my father telling me about him), I DO have a 2 Lp Al Jolson record from Ronco, and a CBS/ Sony retrospective on CD, and hope to get some of der Bing on CD, as I have some old 78's in the family. To anyone paying attention, these are immortals still capable of entertaining.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:40 pm

"Elvis may be an icon -but like Lady Liberty, Babe Ruth, Henry Ford and Apple Pie won't be getting any airplay in 2100"

Are you serious. You think Apple Pie is going to be forgotten? The Maker of the first(I think) automobile? Lady Liberty, don't see her going anywher, Babe Ruth- Hell the candy bar most people think is named after him!!, Elvis a hundred years from now EASILY!!! I can guarantee you my children and my grand children will here about Elvis. That alone will cover 40 years. Get real!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:00 pm

Just curious Kiwi, how would you know anything about the historical icons of America?
None of the people you mention had the same lasting impact that Elvis had on society in the 20th century - not Enrico Caruso, not Mario Lanza, not Bing Crosby, not Mickey Mouse... OK maybe Mickey Mouse.
Also, why in the hell wouldn't you compare Elvis to the likes of William Shakespeare? (maybe JC was a bit far fetched but I was trying to make a point)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:58 pm

will people a hundred years from now be listening to the music of Elvis

It all depends on if we raise our children and grandchildfren to be Elvis fans.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:38 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I don't know about Australia, Kiwi,

That's pretty sell evident - New Zealand is not in Australia.

Putting aside grandchildren etc I would find it very hard to believe that Elvis' music will be a major force in a hundred years.

Even with the success of ELV1S he is hardly dominating radio or music TV in 2003 let alone 2103.

But I'll stick around and find out :wink:

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:30 am

Elvis' music may not dominate the radio, but he's still getting a respectable amount of airplay through many portions of the U.S. and, I dare say, the rest of the planet.

As for Elvis being around in 100 years, I can say only...yes! He's been gone almost 26 years, but take a good look around. Even if it's not actually "him" he's still here. Look at some of the performers today. Look at pop culture. He's still here. I think, to some extent, it will hold true in the future. Before Elvis, everything was the same. Elvis made sure nothing would ever be the same again.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:37 am

New Zealand, sorry, "Kiwi." Both lands unfortunately reside on the same lobe of this tired brain. No offense meant.

So, obviously, Elvis doesn't even dominate now (does anyone really think ALLC - at least in the USA- was all that much of a powerhouse?) though his legacy soldiers on with a currency that I concede won't be so strong 100 years from now.

But like I was attempting to say, his place in music history (where a lot of us music fans in general find the music much better) will be rock solid.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:27 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:So, obviously, Elvis doesn't even dominate now (does anyone really think ALLC - at least in the USA- was all that much of a powerhouse?)

ALLC was the #6 most played video on MTV in late July/early August, so I do feel it was a relative powerhouse.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:51 am

The flaw in your premise Kiwi is that classical is a mass taste today and it most certainly is not. Beethoven and Mozart do not exactly dominate the airwaves. But there is a comparatively small group of dedicated people interested in hearing and enjoying what they have to contribute. I don't see why the same case wouldn't apply to Elvis. The reason we don't hear the great performers from previous centuries is because the technology wasn't there to capture them. If someone like Elvis could sing a song in a unique way I don't know why a serious music fan would not want to hear it.

This is the way many classic pop artists are enjoyed today by dedicated fans of the form. And walk down to your local Wal-Mart and you'll find some music by Bing Crosby. In fact MCA is still releasing new compilations of the man. They wouldn't be doing this if they weren't selling records. When I go to Borders there's a whole shelf of Crosby records. And at FYE there's not a shelf but there's a Crosby box priced at a lofty $70.

Look at the bluesman Robert Johnson. This guy recorded a bunch of obscure records that almost nobody heard almost 70 years ago. Well in 1990 Columbia released a two disc set by the man that was eventually gold and is still in print. Is 500,000 copies representative of the general buying public? No. But it shows that music from the past can still speak to people today, if people are willing to give it a chance.

A common misunderstanding of pop fans is that the song is the thing. In popular music, it is mostly the performance that says something unique and people will keep coming back to that. Sometimes it takes a little study to understand that performance but that is the case with most art.

Finally, with the social impact Elvis had his music will probably heard at the very least by social historians. But, it's also worth noting that since 1956 his demise has been predicted by almost everyone. Yet we're still listening and he's actually topping many of his previous popularity achievements.

Nobody can say for sure but, the odds are in Elvis' favor.