Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Lisa Marie performs at NBA finals

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:38 am

I know a lot of you are NBA fans, LOL. Lisa Marie performed live at halftime of the first game of the NBA finals tonight in San Antonio. Every time I see her she looks more comfortable performing in front of a live audience. She was at midcourt and performed her new single. She sounded and looked pretty good. At the end Mike Terico said Elvis is not in the building but his little girl is. BTW just before she performed they played Elvis' "All Shook Up" NBA commercial and the said coming up next,...

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:42 am

Thanks. It's good to hear this sort of news. :D

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:43 am

Shoot! I just turned the game on at the start of the third quarter--I had no idea she was performing.

There are at least 2 NBA fans on here, I guess. :)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:44 am

Sorry, Sam. Perhaps 3...

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:44 am

This subject belongs in the OFF-TOPIC FORUM where there already happens to be a thread about Lisa performing at the NBA game.

:shock:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:59 am

True. I think in addition to the Off Topic forum it would be good to have one just devoted to Lisa. I never check the Off Topic one personally, but I would check one all about LMP.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:02 am

What the hell just happened? Where I typed LMP, it came out "Dsiney". I swear. I went to edit it, and it showed LMP correctly, but in the post it reads Dsiney. I think there's a ghost in my machine!

:shock:

FECC HELP!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:04 am

Do you see this? That is not what I typed--even on this last post, and I did not misspell Disney (when I did actually type it) either.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:08 am

This is ridiculous. I am sorry to waste everybody's time here reading about my problem, but the way my posts appear, it makes no sense. I tried to type Lisa's initials, which I apparently can't without it coming out "Disney" - I spelled correctly in case it doesn't come out that way. I swear I am not making this up--it is too weird!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:32 am

Certainly off-topic here, but since it is at the top of the pile, what the heck. It looked to me that Lisa lip-synched her performance in San Antonio. That would not be a big surprise, however, as artists often lip-synch performances at these kinds of events.

Early on, she appeared to have muffed a word or two with the lip-synch; plus, the song was too "clean" to have been sung live. That was my impression, anyway.

She led off her performance with a yell of "San Antonio!!!!" I am soooooo glad Elvis stayed away from the typical rock star screams:

"ROANOKE, WASSUP??????!!!!!!!!!"
"ARE YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME?????!!!!!!!"
"LET ME HEAR YA!!!!!!!"

That was the magic of Elvis. All he had to do was stand there to elicit an earthquake.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:30 am

Khoots -

I never thought about that before !

He also did away with the 'fake encore' pretty early on.

When he finished, he finished and was gone !

Any other show-biz conventions he avoided ?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:44 pm

Colin,

Oddly enough, I had never thought of that before hearing Lisa do it last night, either. Interesting, it took his kid to do it to make me think of that.

One other thing I cannot recall Elvis doing was singing a line then pointing to the crowd with the microphone (or holding his hand to his ear) for them to sing the next line. That routine is getting a little weather-worn, but it will never go away entirely.

I suppose he had his share of on-stage mannerisms--"you're a good audience," for example. For what? Applauding? :)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:22 pm

KHoots wrote:Colin,

One other thing I cannot recall Elvis doing was singing a line then pointing to the crowd with the microphone (or holding his hand to his ear) for them to sing the next line. That routine is getting a little weather-worn, but it will never go away entirely.

Excellent point KHoots!!!

Elvis might have had his hangups, maybe he might have forgotten a word or two, maybe he might not have been in the mood to do a certain past hit of his - but at least Elvis never asked his audience to do a sing-a-long (as far as I know).

Getting back to the topic, I did watch Lisa's performance. I enjoyed it. I watched while I was on break at work. One of our employees (he's about 20 years old) took a liking to Lisa. He thought she was 17. I asked him if he knew who she was. He didn't. I explained to him that she turned 35 recently, and that it was Lisa Marie Presley (Elvis' daughter). He was amazed. (He has heard of Elvis). His reaction to my comments was positive.

I thought it was very clever of them to run the NBA commercial with Elvis in it.

Tom (from Ohio)