Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:48 pm

Prince Dragna wrote:No offence, Tom (from Ohio) - but didnĀ“t you get a bit carried away there? Roustabout, Elvis For Everyone and Wonderful World of Xmas on a "Classic albums"-list? Surely not!
:wink:

Prince Dragna,

I'm not offended, and I welcome your comments.
The reason I put "Roustabout" on the list was because it hit the #1 spot on the album chart. OK, it's not exactly a "classic" album, but it was Elvis' first #1 album since 1962.

Tom (from Ohio)

Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:23 pm

I think Elvis wasn’t considered an album artist by the serious music press, mainly because throughout his lifetime the market was flooded with Presley product, and RCA and the Colonel operated a quantity over quality policy. The titles that immediately spring to mind as classic Presley albums would be “Elvis Presley” (LPM1254), “Elvis Is Back”, “From Elvis In Memphis”, and “Elvis Country”, but in most cases even these titles are strangely absent when most magazine publish their lists of the 100 best albums of all time.

Things are beginning to change though. Ernst Jorgenson has treated Elvis’ musical legacy with the respect it deserves, and over the past 10 years or so, we’ve had a lot less of the pointless compilation albums, in favour of releases that concentrated on a specific period of Elvis’ career. Elvis’ best albums have also been given the upgrade treatment with sleeve-notes that concentrate on the music, and give the casual buyer an insight into Elvis’ creative process.

The last time Q magazine printed their best albums of all time list, Elvis’ first album was included in it. Personally, I think the main reason for this was the excellent documentary about the making of this album that has since been televised on a number of occasions. This documentary ignored the myths and the half-truths and concentrated on the music, and it really was a joy to watch. It’s pleasing to read articles in music magazines that concentrate on Elvis’ music these days. This has been a long time coming, but it’s finally starting to happen. I know I’ve said this before, but we really do have Ernst to thank for this.

Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:52 pm

If by "classic" you mean "Everybody knows about it", from back then I'd venture to say "Moody Blue", or what most people refer to it as (and something similar was on a sticker on the album cover) "The Blue Album"

I think some of Elvis' albums are better, but it's a great album, and is pretty well recognized. That's been my experience.

Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:59 pm

In my opinion the term “classic” would have to apply to the content of the album. The fact that Felton Jarvis had to record songs on tour in the spring of 1977 in the hope of getting enough good tracks to complete the album isn’t really the story behind a classic piece of work. Of course the album had it’s moments, and for many it might have been the album that turned them on to Elvis in the summer of 1977, but personally I wouldn’t call it a classic Elvis album.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:25 am

Graceland Gardener wrote::( Sad but true factoid:

THE MONKEES had four consecutive Billboard #1 albums.
(1966-67)

Elvis albums never accomplished that feat. :(
As a matter of
fact,in the U.S. Elvis' first 4 LPs went to # 1.
1. Elvis Presley(May 1956)10 wks
2. Elvis(Nov. 1956)5 wks
3. Loving You(July 1957)10 wks
4.Elvis' Christmas Album(Dec.1957)4 wks

What's so great about Sg.Pepper album?

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:09 am

What's so classic about the Sg.Pepper album? As far as I am concern, it is a piece of crab.None of the beatles album are great anyway. ELVIS (the first album), ELVIS PRESLEY (Rock n Roll No.2), Loving You, King Creole, Elvis Is Back, From Elvis In memphis and many more real superb classic albums can easily wipe them off from the face of the earth anytime man.

ELVIS PRESLEY
King Of the Whole Wide World

why was there no classic album like srgt. pepper ?

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:20 am

i agree that ernst and bmg have done a great job in the last 10 years,
sorting out elvis legacy and getting the right/good creadibility in the public
and media alike which elvis rightly deserved. 8) :lol: