Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

why was there no classic album like srgt. pepper ?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:49 am

speak to anybody in the street and ask them to name any classic elvis album ( like the beatles had sargent pepper) and you get some blank looks. it`s a shame more time, effort and energy as well as intelligence was not inputed into the production of elvis studio work. elvis should have
sat down with songwriters like tony joe white/ elton john/ bruce springstee
/ john lennon to name a few and at least co-wrote somesongs(quality).
they should have got somebody like chip morman 69 memphis sessions as
producer with the correct vision and direction. finnaly they should have had brian epstian ( ex-beatles manager) guiding the whole project.if only
somebody had the will/ vision/ intullect and the balls at the time 69-75.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:55 am

I'm not sure but I think brian epstein was dead during that time span. I think Elvis had several classic albums. But that's just my opinion.
From Elvis in Memphis is the first that springs to mind.

:D
Last edited by sam on Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ELVIS' SGT PEPPER ALBUM!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:56 am

To me, The Memphis Sessions '69 are Elvis' Sgt. Pepper.
Imagine what a double album it would have been back then?
FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS/ELVIS BACK IN MEMPHIS with the 3 legendary singles included?
I wish that "SUSPICIOUS MINDS" would have become something like that.
It didn't. They should have kept the original cover of FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS and ELVIS BACK IN MEMPHIS.
Last edited by bajo on Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:58 am

Epstein died in the Summer of 67. He was in no position to help anyone beyond that time!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:48 am

I think the short answer here is mismanagement and the fact that Elvis just recorded the songs and rarely had any say in the finished product (in terms of the albums' content, name, etc.), because that was supposedly on the "business" end of things.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:55 am

Has this topic ever came up before?

Who named those Elvis albums? (I don't think it was Elvis himself)

He often made fun of the titles during 70s concerts.

"Elvis Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow...whatever"

"This is from my new album Elvis In The Gutter..."

How redundant is it to entitle them: NOW TODAY ELVIS(FOOL) etc

I suspect Col. Parker or some whiz kid at RCA come up with those lackluster hardly-distinguishing album titles.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:36 am

More concern went into singles with Elvis not albums. Elvis did not seem to care about stuff like that. "Sgt Pepper" has not aged well anyways.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:38 am

Elvis had several classic albums. Most rock critics list Elvis Presley and Elvis as classics. Also some list the Sun Sessions but that was a collection of singles though today it would undoubtedly be an album.

Elvis is Back is considered a classic album. As are Elvis Country and From Elvis in Memphis to knowledgeable fans. The gospel albums also have their advocates.

The reason that Elvis doesn't have albums your average fan knows is because of RCA's market strategy. In some years in the 70s RCA put out as many as seven albums in one year. No individual release received the publicity and marketing attention of something like Led Zeppelin IV or Tapestry. In addition Elvis came of age in an era where singles were the dominant format. His most ardent admirers, never learned to think of him in terms of albums. Not that their voices would have been heard anyway. By the time Elvis made "From Elvis in Memphis" and "Elvis Country" most of the first generation of rock writers were 60s children and as such generally ignored Elvis' albums in the period.

Finally, though Elvis Country is a concept album in everything right down to the cover, Elvis generally thought of music on a song by song basis for most of his careers. His attempts at album making were an anomaly. There is nothing wrong this. And the truth is this is the way most fans listen to music. Personally, I would rather listen to 70s Elvis three killers per album than the conceptual full album noodlings of say- Pink Floyd.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:39 am

By the way I can name dozens and dozens of albums better than Sgt. Pepper.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:51 am

I believe the problem was the way RCA released Elvis albums back then. They did not add his greatest songs on the studio albums where they belonged. The were released on the greatest hits compilations Vol1 thru 5.
I mean that's about 60 great songs not on his studio albums.
No other artist has ever done that, only Elvis. I feel this was RCA's mistake.
What studio album was Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, Jailhouse Rock, All Shook Up, Heartbreak Hotel etc. etc. etc. on.
Elvis' most popular album in my opinion is Golden Records Vol1 in the USA until E1.
The Beatles only made around 15 albums and about 8 of them are classics. How many artists or groups even do that much. Very few in my opinion.
It seems like everyone likes to pick on Elvis' albums that they thought were not good. Well Is there a group or artist that consistently makes good albums and not make any bad albums. I don't think So !!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:56 am

Forget back then, how about now!!! How can you have classic albums when they can't even stay in print!!! Go look in any Elvis Presley bin. Most people are confused. There were plenty of classic Elvis albums, they just weren't promoted the same way. Still Elvis was a singles man, and his gold records speak for themselves. In due time maybe the Complete sets will surpass what albums are considered to be classic.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:02 am

:( Sad but true factoid:

THE MONKEES had four consecutive Billboard #1 albums.
(1966-67)

Elvis albums never accomplished that feat. :(

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:13 am

Didn't N Syc do that as well. I know Brittany Spears did! I guess they must be better than Elvis as well. lol

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:02 am

It always seemed that RCA treated Elvis as a 'singles' artist.

The albums were something of an after-thought or a by-product.

His first album [which is a classic] was a hybrid of left-over Sun stuff & bits & pieces.

His second was more structured.

Perhaps the marketing idea was that inclusion of the hit singles would damage the [singles] sales.

Then the soundtracks started !

Some 'classic' albums:

Elvis Presley
Elvis
A Date With Elvis
Loving You
King Creole
Elvis' Christmas Album
Elvis' Golden Records
Elvis Is Back
From Elvis In Memphis
Aloha From Hawaii
The Complete Sun Sessions

Oops ! Forgot Elvis Is Back [now added].
Last edited by ColinB on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:14 am

I would like RCA/BMG to put out a singles collection on CD. The original tracks of each single plus a bonus or two on each CD, all in the original artwork covers.

Dream on....... :)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:36 pm

ALT+CTRL+DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:02 pm

This ain't all of 'em but here are a few "Classic Elvis Album's":

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Album images courtesy of http://www.elvis.m2ask.de/
Last edited by elvis-fan on Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:07 pm

You're right elvis-fan, that isn't all of them......

But it's a good selection. :D

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:22 pm

My tastes in music are Rock 'n' Roll, Country, Blues, Country Rock and Gospel. Therefore to me 'Sgt. Pepper' or any other album by The Beatles is not classic.

On the other hand, ALL Elvis Presley albums are classic.

Brian :D

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:25 pm

First of all, Elvis did in fact score 4 consecutive #1 albums: Elvis Presley; Elvis; Loving You; Elvis' Christmas Album. Now as to why there isn't an Elvis album that gets the critical kudos (greatest rock album ect.) of a Sgt. Pepper; Blonde On Blonde; Pet Sounds; Beggars Banquet; Elvis simply wasn't that type of recording artist. He was a non-writing interpretive singer of many styles of music. His greatest success came during the era when hit singles were the measure of success in the recording industry. It was the Beatles (starting with Rubber Soul); Dylan; The Beach Boys and the Stones who turned album making into an art form unto itself. There's also another factor in this and this is crucial: the rock press that sprang up in the wake of the above-mentioned artists in the late 60's DID NOT CONSIDER ELVIS A MODERN ROCK ARTIST! (or, for that matter, even a rock artist period). Everything from the pre- Beatles years (55-63) was basically considered old-fashioned rock & roll, which explains why albums such as Elvis Presley; Elvis; Elvis Is Back! don't usually make the greatest rock albums lists. If any of Elvis' work makes these lists it's usually the Sun Sessions material. Another thing that hurt Elvis is that his studio albums by & large tended to be assembled/marketed with a Nashville/Country music industry conveyer belt mentality: a bunch of songs collected together with little - if any - cohesion, and a basic type of cover art. Even Elvis' comeback period albums had much more in common with Tom Jones' albums from the same period than with albums by the Beatles, ect.
But Elvis does have some great albums in his canon (excluding hits collections): Elvis Presley; Elvis; Loving You; Elvis' Christmas Album; King Creole; Elvis Is Back!; His Hand In Mine; How Great Thou Art; Elvis' TV Special; From Elvis In Memphis; Elvis In Person; On Stage Feb. 1970; That's The Way It Is; Elvis Country; He Touched Me.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:04 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Has this topic ever came up before?

Who named those Elvis albums? (I don't think it was Elvis himself)

He often made fun of the titles during 70s concerts.

"Elvis Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow...whatever"

"This is from my new album Elvis In The Gutter..."

How redundant is it to entitle them: NOW TODAY ELVIS(FOOL) etc

I suspect Col. Parker or some whiz kid at RCA come up with those lackluster hardly-distinguishing album titles.

I've had the feeling that those titles came from the "creative" genius named Tom Parker.

Which brings me to this topic, since Elvis reportedly did not want the "Having Fun With Elvis On Stage" album released, why in the world did he allow his name to be listed on the album as an "executive producer"?
He would've been better off using an alias, or would've better off asking that his name be removed from the album - therefore dis-associating himself from the album.

Tom (from Ohio)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:12 pm

I would've included these albums in the list of "classic" Elvis albums:

All the "Gold Records" albums
Elvis Presley
Elvis
Loving You
Elvis' Christmas Album
King Creole
Elvis Is Back
G.I. Blues
His Hand In Mine
Something For Everybody
Blue Hawaii
Pot Luck
Roustabout (the album did hit #1)
Elvis For Everyone
How Great Thou Art
Elvis (TV Special)
From Elvis In Memphis
From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis
Elvis-That's the Way It Is
Elvis Country
The Wonderful World of Christmas
He Touched Me
Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden
Aloha From Hawaii
Promised Land
Moody Blue

Tom (from Ohio)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:15 pm

Tom, No "On Stage feb 1970" ??? :cry:

8)

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:11 pm

sam wrote:Tom, No "On Stage feb 1970" ??? :cry:

8)

OOPS! I forgot that one! :oops:

Tom (from Ohio)

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:30 pm

No offence, Tom (from Ohio) - but didn´t you get a bit carried away there? Roustabout, Elvis For Everyone and Wonderful World of Xmas on a "Classic albums"-list? Surely not!
Here is my list (not including compilations):

Elvis Presley
Elvis
Elvis Is Back
Something For Everybody
Pot Luck
From Elvis In Memphis
That´s The Way It Is
Elvis Country

All of these would have been even better albums, if they had included the singles of the period (apart from the last two, maybe). A double album of the Memphis ´69 sessions including the singles would be counted as one of the best rock albums ever, I´m sure. And a single album with the best 12 or 14 songs from both ´73 Stax sessions would also have been a classic. But that´s not really the point here. Elvis only cared about each individual song, and his manager and record company had zero artistic ambitions.

A short comment on cc rider´s original post: "elvis should have
sat down with songwriters like tony joe white/ elton john/ bruce springstee
/ john lennon to name a few and at least co-wrote somesongs(quality). "
1) Elvis was not a song writer and 2) can you honestly see Elvis co-writing songs with Elton John in the 70´s? Let´s be realistic here!
:wink: