Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

should they have done 69 t.v special (follow up to 68 cb) ?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:24 am

why lord ?, did they not bring back steve binder (producer 68 comeback) and do a follow up to the 68 comeback t.v. special in 1969 or 1970. when elvis was still at his prime. imagine elvis singing suspicous minds, in the getto, kentucy rain, i`m leaving, rubbernecking etc. in black leather suit
playing electric guiter on special revolving stage kicking-arse live versions
of these songs :?: :!: :cry:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:26 am

We can dream...... But a few more TV specials in his lifetime would have been nice.

:)

69 TV

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:36 am

Actually, there was a 1969 TV special about Elvis.

It was a prime-time re-broadcast of Elvis' 68 Special.

Sunday Night - August 17, 1969.

Singer Sewing Machines was still the exclusive sponsor even for the re-run and they took out a full-page ad in Billboard in early August 1969 to promote the re-run. There was a black & white rendering of ascotted Elvis with arms folded and featured a demographic caption. The following is the various text on that ad:

More Women age 18 to 49 watched his TV special than any other in '68.
According to Advertising Age,
Network TV Program Popularity Poll,
January 13, 1969.

See "SINGER presents ELVIS"
Sunday Night, August 17th
on NBC-TV in Color!

Hear Elvis Presley exclusively on RCA Records

What's new for tomorrow is at SINGER today

----------------------------

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:42 am

I don't think a TV show as soon as '69 would have worked unless it was something really daring. Elvis was not a person that responded well to any type of routine. He needed novelty and challenge to thrive artistically.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:57 am

Elvis was not a person that responded well to any type of routine.

Elvis' movie career became routine. His touring schedule became routine.

Just wanted to point out the irony of that.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:18 am

He didn't respond well did he?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:55 am

likethebike,

no he didn't. you're right.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:34 am

cc rider -

In 1969, the Colonel would have reasoned that if the punters could see Elvis for free on TV, they wouldn't shell out to see him in Vegas.

Just imagine an Elvis TV show along the lines of 'A Black & White Night' !

Something like the 1968 'sit down' & 'stand up' shows but with his proper backing band and decent audio.

Knocking out some of the American Sound Studio material !

Stranger In My Own Home Town
After Loving You
I'll Hold You In My Heart
Wearing That Loved-on Look
I'm Movin' On

Mouthwatering stuff !

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:28 am

a 69/70 t.v. special follow up to 68 comeback with steve binder with some fresh ideas would i`m sure been a hit 8) :lol:

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:48 am

And one of the questions has to be: how come RCA weren't present to record the opening show in Vegas? It's a shame this piece of history wasn't represented with a multitrack recording.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:59 am

it`s a shame they did not tape ALL SHOWS 69-77 audio and film.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:58 am

c c rider -

when elvis was still at his prime.

Well, of course we didn't know that at the time.

It seemed that he would go on, looking good & sounding good, for all time !

Plenty of time to do TV shows later !

We couldn't have known that the decline was to start in a couple of years.

Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:20 pm

We couldn't have known that the decline was to start in a couple of years

That's the irony in all of this ColinB. Eight short years, particularly as in 1977 I still believed that Elvis was going to be around forever. In many ways he still is...just not in person. Makes me sort of sad and glad all in one mixed set of emotions.

Yours oddly

Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:12 pm

It’s easy to ask why didn’t Elvis, RCA or the Colonel do this or that with the benefit of hindsight. They couldn’t possibly have had any need to film/record every Elvis concert whilst he was alive, and I’m sure that they weren’t planning 26 years into the future, as far as what they did or didn’t record was concerned.

As a fan I would welcome a decent sounding recording of Elvis’ opening night performance from July 31, 1969, but I can also understand why RCA chose not to record it at the time. Elvis was obviously nervous at returning to live performances after such a long absence, and would also be showcasing material that he hadn’t performed live before. RCA were due to record a number of shows in order to compile a live album, and for that reason it surely made more sense to wait until Elvis was mid way through the engagement before they started recording. This way they would capture Elvis when he more relaxed, and the performances were more polished.