Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Rare" studio musicians

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:17 pm

Just wondering if there are any pics existing of these people in studio with Elvis:

* Ben and Brock Speer (Backup singers, Jan. 1956)
* Jerry Hubbard Reed (guitar, 1967 - "Guitar man" and "US Male")
* Cissy Houston (member of Sweet Inspirations, Las Vegas, 1969)

Were there any other "famous" musicians/backup singers (people who had a career of their own) who recorded with Elvis occationally? I'm not counting Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer and Booths Randolph, as they were more or less a part of his regular group in the 60s. Neither do I count his backup groups, as they stayed with him for longer periods.
I once read that Andraé Crouch collaborated with Elvis. Was that only as the writer of the song "I've got confidence", or did he also appear as a musician?
Just curious...

Bjorn

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:33 pm

* Cissy Houston (member of Sweet Inspirations, Las Vegas, 1969)

Houston never worked in the studio with Elvis, only in Las Vegas.

Crouch wrote "I've Got Confidence," a song Elvis cut during his 1971 Nashville sessions. They did not "collaborate" in any other fashion.

WELL KNOWN!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:01 am

Glen Campbell were part of the line up for the soundtrack recordings of the VIVA LAS VEGAS soundtrack!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:11 am

Glen Campbell played guitar on one Presley date -- the 30 August 1963 session that produced "What'd I Say."

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:58 am

Were the Jerry Reed sessions overdubbed or were they actually in the studio together?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:00 am

Reed was there in September 1967 and January 1968.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:23 am

Ben and Brock Speer can be seen in many photos taken on April 14, 1956 while recording the song I Want You, I Need You, I Love You.

There´s a book called "Studio B Blues - The Complete ´I Want You, I Need You, I Love You´ Photo-Session!" which includes over 100 photos from that recording session.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:58 am

The "Studio B Blues" book title is a little mis-leading since the 'I Want you, I need you...' session was not recorded in studio B, though it was recorded in Nashville.

RKS

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:06 pm

The "I want you,i need you,i love you" was recorded on the old studio on McGavockstreet. The same studio as Heartbreak hotel, i was the one etc. The first sessions Elvis did in Studio B was the june 9/10th 1958 one. The studio opened his doors in june 1957. Elvis recorded in those days in Hollywood. Other famouse onetimers are: W.C. Holland drums om some sun tracks. Jerry Scheff, Yes, Scheff's first studio sessions with Elvis wasn't even a studio. He recorded with Elvis in the jungleroom sessions 1976 in Graceland. Not a regular is Marvin Hughes piano 14 april '56, sep '56, the love me tender session Guitar : Guitar : Vito Mumolo, Bass : Michael “Myer“ Rubin , Drums : Richard Cornell , Banjo : Luther Roundtree , Accordion : Carl Fortina. If you look at sessionslists there are numberous musicians whom worked on several occasions with or for Elvis.

Jerry Sheff

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:38 pm

didn't Jerry Scheff record on the '72 sessions that yeilded Always On My Mind, Burning Love and Seperate Ways?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:50 pm

Nope, Emory Gordy did. He always complained about his bass playing on Burning Love; saying that he was still trying out stuff when they called it a take.

Eivind

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:00 pm

The first time Jerry played on an Elvis session was on the Easy Come, Easy Go soundtrack in 1966. He played trumpet on this occasion.