Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:00 pm

[quote="genesim"] I will remove mine TODAY if you remove yours. /quote]

Someone told me Michael Jackson actually played this game once and got hustled :lol:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:16 pm

BOOOOOOOO!!!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:50 am

Elvis's 1970 studio version of Bridge is the perfect version. Nothing could be added or taken away to make it better. I personally can't listen to Simon and Garfunkel's or anyone else's version after having heard Elvis's. There is a reason for calling him "The King"

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:35 am

OK if we're going to talk about the best version of "Bridge" that Elvis ever did... there's only one...

April 14, 1972 Greensboro, NC

No other version is as captivating and powerful as on this night - not August 11, 1970 MS, not the studio master, not S&G's version, nothing!!!

THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE "BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER"

There's nothing left to say.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:59 am

elvis-fan -

The whole Greensboro concert from 14th April, 1972, was filmed for the 'EOT' film, so we could have this on DVD !

Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:23 am

See See- I like the production on the S&G but Garfunkel's vocal is awful, almost sickeningly sweet and lacking in drama. There's no gospel at all in his voice and its essentially a gospel song.

I like Elvis' arrangement in the way it builds in intensity and instrumentation from verse to verse. It echoes the original but doesn't copy it.

S&G were too often smarmy for me. Simon's lyrics were often sophomoric and their music was often wimpy and unbearably cute. It's easy to see why the character in "I Am a Rock" is alone; he's obnoxious.
Some of their stuff works like "Homeward Bound" and the traditional song "Scarborough Fair". Garfunkel lacked any kind of pop sense of phrasing.

On his own, Simon's work matured and he became one of the greatest figures in pop and soul. His musical vision became omnivorous and his lyrics really blossomed showing compassion and generosity towards figures other than himself. Whether it was breaking up with Garfunkel that caused this or simply maturing I don't know.

I do know S&G rank with the Doors, Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills and Nash and most of the SF psychedelic scene as the most overrated performers in rock history.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:24 pm

likethebike

"smarmy" - that is an excellent word!!!

ColinB

Greensboro 1972 complete and Hampton Roads 1972 complete on DVD
is my WET DREAM!!!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:00 pm

Personally speaking, I like Lavern and Shirley`s version the best :D

Squiggy.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:12 pm

I love S&G's original, but Elvis' Greensboro On Tour version is an absolute tour de force! Now to go off subject a moment, take a good look at that photo on elvis fans post. How can anyone say he's overweight? Granted, he may not be as lean as TTWII but he d#*n sure ain't what I'd consider to be overweight!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:19 pm

S&G best work, to me, is the Graduate soundtrack. I always hated the new Mrs. Robinson. The songs fit best in the movie alone. Such great work.

Question, for the Greensboro, is Sweet Carolina the best way to get that version of Bridge. Is there a official release of that songs?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:23 pm

Genesim,

The best way to get a clean copy of "Bridge" is to lift it directly from the video.
That's what I did. It's in stereo and the quality is quite good.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:20 pm

I thought I remembered reading (somewhere) that Paul Simon was very fond of Elvis' version and considered it the best of all the various versions he heard by other artists.

I'm not sure WHEN he said it, as I also recall that he didn't much care for Elvis' '70's material...saying something about every song ending "with a karate chop and an explosion."

I'll leave the comparison to my lovely, unbiased wife. She likes Simon & Garfunkel & will tolerate my overplaying of Elvis...she's far from a fan....lol... Her take? She says that Elvis' version of "Bridge" is nicer and has more feeling. At "Elvis The Concert" she actually cried during the song. 'Nuff said.