Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Bridge Over Trouble Water

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:08 pm

Has anybody heard the new American Idol version. I think Elvis has the difinitive version and this radio dreck makes me want to puke!!!!!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:15 pm

Has anybody heard the new American Idol version. [ sic ] I think Elvis has the difinitive [ sic ] version and this radio dreck makes me want to puke!!!!!

Tell you what -- if you remove that god-awful, embarrassing "signature" and change that ridiculous GIF image and I'll answer this.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:36 am

As much as I respect the vast knowledge and wisdom of our scholar - that is not the way to offer constructive criticism.
I'm not that fond of the Gene Simmons image either, but it is how the guy wishes to present himself here.
And often his opinions are worth while reading. The somewhat excentric image&signature of his are of subordinate significance.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:42 am

I tell you what...Dr. John I will remove genesim and the face if you remove DOCTOR JOHN or anything referencing a Dr. and also take the words scholar and he knows and any other rediculous reference to your so called "wisdom"

Deal? lol

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:44 am

im afraid he's got you over the proverbial barrel there Doc, will you shock us all by returning to this thread??

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:47 am

And often his opinions are worth while [ sic ] reading.

Police -

Often? Seldom is closer to the mark.

I tell you what...Dr. John I will remove genesim and the face

Go for it! If you dare.

Re: Bridge Over Trouble Water

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:50 am

genesim wrote:Has anybody heard the new American Idol version. I think Elvis has the difinitive version and this radio dreck makes me want to puke!!!!!

I know what You mean. At least I can imagine. On Germany's version of "American Idol" a 17 years old kid was singing "My Way" ("What is a man? What has he got?") and I thought: "How can you dare ...?" It was simply ridiculous ...

Hey, don't take it too seriously. It's just fun, pure enterainment. This hasn't got anything to do with making music in a sense of "creating something".
Last edited by see-see-rider on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:51 am

So is it a deal? I will remove mine TODAY if you remove yours. I am sure many people on this board will be happy to see your name go.

What do you say DOC? Money where your mouth is? C'mon chicken..are you all talk? Mine will be removed in 2 hours time(as soon as I get home and do it right with the debut of my new user name). Is this the end of the Dr. John Scholar as we know him?????

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:00 am

Where is the DOC? I thought we were getting somewhere? Oh the Yellow ....Old yellar...KFC anyone?...Love that Chicken at Popeye's...I need some meat for my noodle soup!!..whats the matter, did you lose a ball?.....I smelllllll....pu...

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:01 am

Go for it genesim...you crack me up.

Hey if you change your user name your post count starts again.
By the way congrats on passing 500. You're catching up fast. :D

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:51 am

Ooo. You like Simon and Garfunkel's version. Talk about lacking a gospel impact. I would not only put Elvis ahead of S&G but also Aretha. S&G's version is nicely produced but Art Garfunkel's vocal is unbearably wimpy and soulless, which makes it virtually no different from any other song he sang. But to each his own. As you can probably gather, I'm not a big S&G fan. 7-8 maybe very good songs and a lot of unbearably smarmy dreck. "The Dangling Conversation" may be the single worst record in rock and soul history.

Paul Simon solo is another story.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:06 am

The first time I played "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" was when I was 12 years old in a forest.

Are Dr John and Geneism "coming out" with a variation. :D

Not that' s there anything wrong with that

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:48 am

Hey I was just offering a solution to my SCARY avitar. Seems like some people are bothered by it...so I thought I would eliminate another annoying issue. Seems the Doc has went into hiding again. Gutless.

So here is a word for the "wise one". If you can't take the heat....then keep your big mouth shut. My name however annoying to some people, is my name. I for one would never ask someone to change their name, so I deserve the same respect.

Now if one is willing to change their own...that is a different story. The Doc wanted me to change cause it offended him, well all I asked was a removal of something that offended me. I guess the ol' Doc thought it to be too big a sacrifice. My name is just that...For the Doc, he has to hide. I am a "Man with 1000 Faces". I am original and I can make my own identity, I don't care what I am called. The Doc has only one act, and it is obvious that he cannot live without his title. Maybe his intelligence is artificial, which is why he has to have the label. Without that, maybe he is nothing. I think he is more than that, but unfortunately we will probably never see it.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:32 am

I don't think anyone equals Elvis's version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" :D

Am I in the right topic here LOL

:lol:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:05 pm

Hey Genesim,
If you are talking about the version performed by Clay Aiken during the final competition of American Idol, I think it's wonderful. Why? Becuase during the course of the competition Clay sang a total of 3 songs directly in Elvis' style. Solitiare, Unchained Melody and Bridge. Unchaied was set to a different arrangement, but the vocal stylings were directly influenced by E's version as well as Bridge. On Solitiare he just dug in and went for it without changing much, but this young man is for sure an Elvis fan!
Steve

Re: Bridge Over Trouble Water

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:48 pm

DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:06 pm

I think both the original and Elvis's versions are both brilliant. I haven't heard Clay Aikens's version so I can't pass judgement.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:21 pm

likethebike wrote:Ooo. You like Simon and Garfunkel's version. Talk about lacking a gospel impact. I would not only put Elvis ahead of S&G but also Aretha. S&G's version is nicely produced but Art Garfunkel's vocal is unbearably wimpy and soulless, which makes it virtually no different from any other song he sang. But to each his own. As you can probably gather, I'm not a big S&G fan. 7-8 maybe very good songs and a lot of unbearably smarmy dreck. "The Dangling Conversation" may be the single worst record in rock and soul history.

Paul Simon solo is another story.

Took me half a year to notice You're right. I changed my mind, Elvis' version IS better ...
Last edited by see-see-rider on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:13 pm

The american idol version was annoying(when I heard it on the radio), to say the least. It wasn't the voice, it was the arrangement. Maybe the man was better on the show, but that doesn't matter. Now it is a single...it sucks!!!

S&G version has always been overplayed to me. True they came up with a great song. I disagree on the arrangement. I think Elvis version is more pronounced, especially on the strings during the second verse. The "fireworks" part also is bad on the S&G version. THough I love ol Art, I really don't think his voice fits this songs. He is supposed to be a Bridge, and yet at points his voice sounds like it is going to give out. TO me Elvis voice is more believable, and also it has more range. THe deepness on "Sail On Silver Girl" is much better then the "wounded" sound on the original. I could go on, but you guys get my point. It is just a opinion.

WHat I am sticking to, is the new one is bad...very bad.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:22 pm

I am a bit of a fan of Simon and Garfinkle, and more so of Paul Simon.
I Like S&G's version and Pauls live versions. But I tend to agree with genesim. In my opinion Elvis's version is on a higher level.
The difinitive version. S&G's version is nice to listen to but.........

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:32 pm

I like Art myself(voice wise). You know what one of my favorites is: Bright Eyes from the movie/cartoon Watership Down. Always brings me to tears whenever Fiver finds Hazel after he has been shot. "how can a light that shines so brightly...suddenly burn so dim...BRIGHT EYES"

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:34 pm

Paul Simon:

"Elvis sang, Bridge Over Trouble Water, with great feeling - like it should've been sung..."

"I felt wonderful when he sang 'Bridge over troubled water', even though it was a touch on the dramatic side - but so was the song. When I first heard Elvis perform "Bridge Over Trouble Water" It was unbelivable,and I thought to myself, how the hell can I compete with that?"
Last edited by Swedish on Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:36 pm

Yes that was a good song genesim. Did Art have any other hits in his solo career? I can only remember this one from him.

:?:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:38 pm

I like his version of "Always Walk On The Right side Of your Life" from As Good As It Gets.

I figure Paul SImon has way more success, and I do like him. I just prefer Art's voice thats all. I have heard a few more, just can't think of them.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:38 pm

Swedish, I had heard that when Paul first heard Elvis's version he didn't really like it, but after a while he had a change of heart.

:?: