Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Who would've been a good opening act for Elvis in the 1970's?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:59 pm

Ike & Tina Turner
8%
Creedence Clearwater Revival
42%
Three Dog Night
No votes
KISS
25%
The Rolling Stones
No votes
The Jackson Five
No votes
Olivia Newton John
8%
Elton John
No votes
Others (not listed)
17%

Total votes : 12

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:25 am

Some very good points my friends, thanks for your input.

Oh yes, what about Lynyrd Skynyrd as an opening act?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:26 am

Well I for one can appreciate someone being passionate about something (in this case a band) and not have it bother me just because I don't like the same thing..
If Genesim is passionate about the band Kiss and brings them up in conversation sometimes,why would that bother you?
Not too sure if I misunderstood his comment about CCR though?
Every great band has their shinning moment,and in 1969 and 1970 CCR was the biggest selling band in North America..
BTW..I do like the band Kiss,but I'm a lover of them from the 70s era...
Kiss in the 80s didn't do too much for me..

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:41 am

I am getting worked up over this Pete!!! how dare you say such a thing. Elvis did not have a drug problem!

lol :wink:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:17 am

Asking an act to open for Elvis is a tough job. For people going to an Elvis concert, an opening act is something you put up with until Elvis takes the stage. I don't think any performer no matter how great could have upstaged Elvis in the 70s. He had become such an icon that the mere fact of his presence was enough to inspire hysteria. Even after the music went, audiences still went wild.

That being said I think a nice Elvis show might have started with some 50s pioneers like Dion, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ricky Nelson etc. Or up and coming performers in a similar style to Elvis like Billy Swan.

Headlining acts like the Stones just don't open shows.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:04 am

My point about CCR is that they had a lot of competition and their popularity was short lived. Though I love them, and I never would put them down. Unfortunately, by the time Elvis was a full touring force CCR was a dead band!!(commercial wise)

I think the original comment was referring to bands of the 70's. Other then Led Zeppelin..I really don't see any bands even in the same league as Elvis during THAT time. That is why I thought my choice was obvious. Led Zeppelin was a terrible band live, Aerosmith and AC/DC were infants, Black Sabbath didn't even last that long. Sorry, but I don't think my suggestion was out of line. I still think it would have been a very close race. Can anybody honestly put any other band as true Icons of the 70's decade. Elvis was that, why not put him on stage with a band that would have a strong following as well. The similarities were many(merchandising, legendary, sellouts in the eyes of critical establishment, Huge draws that could fill up arenas....etc.)

Oh yeah, I don't think the Rolling Stones could hang either!!!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:38 am

I think CCR was short lived because of contract problems(Them getting ripped off).
I reckon they were a great band and I wish John Fogerty would do something about getting another solo album out soon. :D

8)

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:26 pm

The James Gang

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:22 pm

I don't think anyone could have opened for Elvis - he was too big an act to follow.

Genesim - how about Queen? They are a fantastic band from the 70's who continued their success right up to today? Brian May is the best guitarist...ever!!!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:35 pm

Yes Queen is a great band. Kiss actually opened for them...Queen said they would never tour with them again. Kiss blew them away.

That is not to say anything bad about Queen. They had their time and KISS would be no match for them...say during the 80's with the Wembley Stadium benefits. Freddie Mercury is such a great vocalist. I love the Queen tribute they put out on DVD. Too bad they left off Extreme's Queen Medley that was sorely missed. I don't really like the band, but it truly was a cool performance.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:42 pm

genesim wrote: Freddie Mercury is such a great vocalist.

Couldn't agree more! After Elvis I think he's the best.