Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Who would've been a good opening act for Elvis in the 1970's?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:59 pm

Ike & Tina Turner
8%
Creedence Clearwater Revival
42%
Three Dog Night
No votes
KISS
25%
The Rolling Stones
No votes
The Jackson Five
No votes
Olivia Newton John
8%
Elton John
No votes
Others (not listed)
17%

Total votes : 12

Who Would've Been a Good OPENING ACT for Elvis in the 70's

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:59 pm

Instead of The Sweet Inspirations, The Stamps, and Jackie Kahane, who would you have like to have seen "open" for Elvis on tour in the 1970's?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:04 pm

Olivia...Creedance!!! Give me a break. You want a show that will match not one that will pale. KISS would have given E a run for his money. They are unstoppable in their prime. God that would have been the show of all shows.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:09 pm

Genesim,
I added KISS to the list especially for you!
I hope that by doing so it satisfied your blood-thirst!

Oh yes, I agree with your comments too - I would loved to have seen them all come out at the end of the show and sing "Rock & Roll All Night"!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:10 pm

BBM - In all honesty, I can't think of any individual or group that could have successfully opened for Elvis from 1970 through 1975.
Interesting thought though.
I'm sure you'll get some interesting suggestions. I just can't seem to think of any.
I don't know if a musical performance would necessarily have been the best choice.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:12 pm

Although KISS is a fine group, do you think that Elvis and KISS attracted the same type of audience?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:16 pm

LOL! You mean for whom of these bands could Elvis have been the opening act, right??

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:18 pm

Johnny Cash would have been a good opening act for Elvis in the 70´s.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:20 pm

Hey it is like Wyatt said in Weird Science "don't Fork with the fantansy, we know what the reality is". It is true that Kiss at the time they were big, were probably not appreciated by the same fans. Still Kiss was opening for anybody and everybody. In 1975 they would have been more than happy to open for Elvis. The sad thing is, that at that time they were prime. There were few people that could follow them(most never wanted to tour with them again). Elvis with all due respect was a different man. My opinion is this: Too Close to Call. Again, it would have been a very interesting pair up.

Elvis would not have liked them. Kiss would have pulled out all the stops. They would have shot off every firework possible and rocked the house. Now in the perfect circumstance you would have to give them their whole show(the COLONOL would not have let this happen). Them being a up and coming band, and Elvis maybe knowing about this...it would be a good competition. Hence the Elvis Vs. KISS debates from teenagers of the 70's. I have seen magazines like this many times. It was a popular concept. Truthfully, I think KISS deserves, if nothing else, credit for having a great live show.

Elvis would have his hands full...at that time in his career.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:25 pm

For my 500th post, I woul just like to say this: I am a ELVIS and KISS fan till the day I die. NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE MY MIND!!!!!

2 of the biggest American symbols that have made lasting impressions on me forever. If there is a heaven...I will see this show happen!!!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:31 pm

Of course several of those acts were FAR too big at the time to consider being an opening act with anybody, even Elvis. I mean The Stones, Elton John? No way it could have ever happened.

Genesim I must strenuously disagree on both counts. Firstly Creedence would be an ideal opening band because they more than perhaps any other major rock unit stayed very true to the blues/country/rock sensibilities that Elvis epitomized in his best work of the 50's & 60's. And CCR probably would have agreed to a double bill situation with Elvis because their obvious (especially John Fogherty's) love for the man's work. No modern rock record has ever channeled the spirit of Elvis' Sun recordings better than Bad Moon Rising.

And I'm sorry but as for Kiss, the very idea of Elvis sharing the stage with those clowns of rock and roll is a travesty. Kiss's music makes Spinal Tap's songs look deep and timeless by comparison. They got lucky with a dumb make-up gimmick that they ran into the ground, and had to fall back on to breathe any life back in to their careers (and wallets, which Gene Simmons has shamelessly proclaimed is his number one priority in life.)

I'm sorry to unload, but man this is an Elvis board and I just get tired of all the gratuitous Kiss references, as they are a band that's a million miles away from what Elvis was about. So when you put down one of the most underrated bands (CCR) of all time, and turn around and praise one of the most overrated (at least commercially,) I feel the need to speak up on behalf of those with solid taste.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:39 pm

Man, Brian, you better run and hide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:42 pm

And I thought I could stay at 500!

Ok first of all I am talking about stage show. I wasn't putting down Olivia or Creadance musically. I like them both.

So you get tired of all the KISS references. Well I got news for you BIA, I am not the only one. I never start a KISS thread(unless in the other topic). Often I just respond to others.

You call KISS nothing but clowns and overated. Good! I am glad there are people that feel as strongly as you do. That is how they thrive to this day. Like Paul Stanley says "Love us or Hate Us..in the middle...get out"

You can't see the significance of the band, then that is your problem. I really don't feel like explaining it to you. My only thoughts are open you eyes and ears.

Incidently you don't even seem to grasp the significance of the makeup. "For those who know..know..for those who don't ...wish they did"

Oh yeah I must comment a little further.

Creadance was not a progressive band at that time. They weren't really stadium fillers to begin with. I am not talking about sitting back with no shoes on smoking weed and a saying "Is that freedom rock..man!" I am talking about a real show between 2 icons of the 70's. Something people that will remember. In essence a good show!!! Again, at that time(75-77) KISS was the biggest band around. Elvis would have his hands full. Hell people were still into the Beatles when Creandance even made a dent.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:15 pm

If you were talking about CCR's stage show, you should have said something like, oh, "stage show." The word "show" alone means, I assume to most of us, the music and presentation together. And I dare say CCR gave a great show, lack of flash and all.

As for the Kiss thing, yes I will admit I'm no expert. But I try to listen to everything with open mind and ears. I've check out some Kiss and frankly I don't hear anything in my sampling (of their supposed Greatest Hits) that The Who, T-Rex, Bowie, or even Cheap Trick didn't do about 1000 X's better.

I'm not asking you to explain their significance or the makeup to me, when music sounds so common and unremarkable to me, I don't really care about the backstory. And if there's something subtley ingenious about their use of fireworks and fake blood, I gratefully remain in ignorance until I hear some music from them that makes me care.

That's why I've never looked into the point of their makeup. All I know is when far more influential and important musicians like David Bowie or Peter Gabriel use makeup and high theatrics, it's genrally part of an artistic statement they are making at the time. But they had the good taste to drop it and show their faces again before it got tiresome, because they developed as artists. And if Bowie went back to Ziggy Stardust to rejuvinate commercial interest in his tours, I dare say most people would question his integrity. But of course, that's because he had integrity in the first place.

Not that Kiss wasn't an influential band. They clearly inspired many of those wonderful HAIR METAL band of the 80's, one of the worst rock sub-genres, right up there with the 50's/60's teen idols, to ever exist.

Finally on the subject of posting about Kiss, maybe you haven't, as you say started many Kiss threads, but I actually wish you would. Maybe that would give you an outlet for your Kiss fascination about which people could be warned to stay away from by reading the header.

But for months I have seen many many Kiss comments from you in various threads, and it normally seems like a huge stretch to somehow fit Kiss into the conversation. It's like you're trying to twist an Elvis conversation into your other main interest. Isn't there a Kiss board somewhere where you can express your appreciation for them to your hearts' content?

I like the discussions of Elvis as they relate to other artists, especially when there seems to be a genuine connection. I just feel like you have some agenda to push Kiss on this board and you should think about how you'd feel if someone else who posts all the time as you do was consistently bringin up some band that you felt had nothing to do with Elvis, I bet you'd get tired of it. And maybe not, but I for one am.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:20 pm

BIA's comments about CCR's records are valid, but given the type of audiences Elvis attracted in the 70's I think the only realistic act on the list is Olivia Newton-John. Remember folks, Elvis really wasn't a rock & roll artist in the 70's. He was primarily an adult-contemporary/country artist with a bit of pop thrown in to the mix. His rock and blues efforts were minimal (quantitywise). The general tenor of his arena audiences was more like his Vegas audiences in that they dressed up for his shows, drank beer or wine or mixed drinks (if alcohol was served), and were basically well behaved. This is a far cry from the denim & dope crowd that hard rock bands such as the Stones, Zeppelin, KISS, Skynard, ect. drew to their shows!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:30 pm

http://www.elvis.com/news/full_story.asp?id=370
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:36 pm

Brian, I know for a fact you have posted a while...shame you can't see past your nose. I push ELVIS on 1001 occasions. If KISS gets mentioned...then so what. I never use it as a tool to put him down. I also refrain from arguements about them on this side.

Funny how you come out of the woodwork now!! Again, most of the KISS posts have been on the other board. YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE.

Besides your obvious ignorance(David Bowie..integrity?!?!?! is that a oxymoron?) and your comparison of KISS to Cheaptrick and T-Rex(guess what they are fans too!! and they both opened for KISS), it really is a very funny reply.

If you want to continue this dicussion then I suggest you go to the other forum(I will help you out, by starting a new post). You need to look real hard through my posts and actually see who mentions KISS compared to who mentions me. Most of the time if KISS is even mentioned it is in relation to my name. I don't bring it up, and I will show you by ending this stupid arguement.

P.S. Let me help you out...KISS wears makeup to state their individualism, their philosophy on life. You can be whatever you want to be. They sing about it in almost half of their songs. Live life to the fullest. Clear message, that some can't grasp to this day.

I would say Bowie and Gabriel is more about gimmick if the truth were known!!.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:46 pm

Now that you mention it Pete, I have to agree with your argument. I think I was indulging in a little wishfull thinking of Elvis playing with a group that might emphasize his roots and their relevance to later incarnations of rock. But you're absolutely right about the commercial audiences for the two would be very different, so it's more of a fantasy bill I guess. Only critics and true rock afficionado's would have been interested in a double bill like that.

And now that I think of it, I'm sure Elvis and Olivia's audience had huge crossover at the time. The fact that she or other bands might lack flash is irrelevant, the opening act isn't really meant to compete with the headliner on that level - then it becomes a music festival. And I actually like ONJ from that period; heck it would have beaten heck out of Jackie Kahane.

BIA

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:54 pm

Ummm who mentioned it being a fantasy bill at first?

P.S. I figured it out BIA. A Bowie and Gabriel fan are not going to get a KISS attitude for obvious reasons. Sorry to even try to makes sense of the attitude. I understand clearly now.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:00 am

opening act

to replace jacky kahane what about curtis simpkins ? :lol:

as music opener mister baldman with his toilet concerto in f-art minor :oops:

( no offence just a joke ! )

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:03 am

Genesim, just two last thoughts.

I wasn't defending Bowie's entire career, hence the phrase "in the first place." You are correct this is not the board to argue his or Kiss' integrity, but if you felt Bowie didn't start out and for many years stay an artist with a lot of integrety who constantly pushed himself to surprise and innovate, I'm not interested in an argument on that point anyway, that would be a waste of my time.

As for the Kiss thing, I'm not attributing Kiss comments made by others to you. How could I when your name has an obnoxiously huge bleeding-from-the-mouth graphic of G.S.? I'd say it's pretty obvious.

(And by the way, you can be whatever you want to be, that's their deep philosophy? Theirs and many other contrived fictional cartoon characters. See this weeks Onion article if you don't know what I mean.)

Sorry but I'm not going to pour over your enourmous back-log of endless compulsive posting to make a case over this. Maybe you haven't been referencing Kiss much on the new board. But you mentioned them a lot on the old board and from my random samplings of your posts on the new one, you seem to be still at it. Maybe you have cut way down, maybe it's just a coincidence that I've hit the posts I've hit and seen various mentions of Kiss.

If the references are indeed rare, then I apologize. I can only go by what I read. If you try to continue to keep it in check, I'll knock the chip off my shoulder and won't let it bug me.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:15 am

Split Enz

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:17 am

One final thought, Gen.

What I find funny is that you would condescendingly laugh at me for comparing Kiss to glam rockers Bowie and T-Rex, and arena rockers Cheap Trick. So Kiss had nothing to do with glam or arena rock?

And this from someone who has many times in the past and again just today referenced Kiss amidst and Elvis discussion, as if they had any relevance to such a discussion.

If you could see the humor in that, you'd never stop laughing.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:32 am

I reference Elvis far more then I ever have of KISS. That is a fact! On the old message board as well. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't mention Elvis. I can strongly say, that I have gone weeks without a peep of Kiss. Though if someone attacks or mentions, I am naturally going to reply!

My reference to kiss this time was because of the title of the post.

"So Kiss had nothing to do with glam or arena rock?"

When did I ever say this? I laughed at your intent to belittle KISS by saying all of the lessor known artists you mentioned(2 of which opened for KISS) are even in their class. You have your opinions, I have mine. Know this, I am not putting down any of the artists you mentioned. To say they are less popular is not a insult. Especially when compared to KISS!!

You seem to want to attack KISS and their music and have a grudge of some kind. Thats ok, keep it coming. People like you are like the "ELVIS IS DEAD" crowd. They just pour fuel on the fire. Though again, I started another post. Please go to the other topics board to reply and I will do the same if you want to continue discussion..

p.s.
"If you try to continue to keep it in check, I'll knock the chip off my shoulder and won't let it bug me."

I am not here to please you. I frankly don't care what bugs you. I am not here to pass your tests. Sorry buddy, but try that tactic on your kids or relatives.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:37 am

Graceland Gardener -
I read your post before you (wisely) edited it, and I have to ask: can you not recognize the double standard in referring to those other artists as "junkies", when Elvis himself spent much of 76-77 in a self-induced pharmacuetical fog due to his horrendous addiction to and abuse of prescription "medication"?
Kylan: don't get worked up over this - I'm just trying to make a point!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:36 am

The Beatles. :wink:

8)