Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Not Using His Guitar

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:36 pm

A few days ago, I was looking at an old VHS of mine that contains alot of 8mm concert footage from the 70's. On one of the segments, it shows Elvis at the microphone stand singing "That's Alright" but w/o his guitar.

I was just curious to know about how many shows did he begin in the 1970's w/o using his guitar?

A petty subject (maybe), but hey - I'm curious, LOL.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:58 pm

Big Boss Man,
I was not aware that he ever did this. How cool would that be?? Thanks for the info.
Tom

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:05 pm

Tom,
I have also ran across a few photos of Elvis at the mic-stand w/o his guitar. There's a pic from Lake Tahoe in the Mexican Sundial Suit (Oct 74), and also in the book "The Crazy Side Of Elvis Presley" taken in Las Vegas (Aug 73) where he has a stuffed "monkey" on his shoulder.

If anyone else can ad to this, please do.
Thanks

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:32 pm

I know he sang "Mystery Train / Tiger Man" using the mic stand without his guitar.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:12 pm

A few times in the 1970s Elvis simply forgot to grab the guitar before going to the mic. At least once the strap came loose, so he ditched it.

In one piece of footage I have, Elvis goes back to retrieve his axe from Charlie Hodge during James Burton's solo.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:29 am

Doc I think we might have the same footage (Elvis is wearing the Blue Owl Suit).

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:41 am

The guitar was mostly for showin' not for blowin' in the 70s anyway.