Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Colin Escott

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:05 pm

I was just reading the write-up in the "An Afternoon In The Garden" CD booklet.
It was written by Colin Escott.
I have read other write-ups by Mr. Escott and I have heard his name mentioned several times in the past.
Who exactly is Colin Escott???
What is his background and what is his involvement with the "Elvis World"???
Just curious.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:00 pm

Colin Escott has been around for years -- he's a major scholar of American roots music, having written books on Sun Studios ("Good Rockin' Tonight") and Hank Williams and handled Sun vault searches in the 1970s resulting in amazing compilations of superb unissued Sun material on the Charley (UK) label. He may've had a hand in some rare Elvis discoveries as well.

At some point BMG found him a good resource for their CD notes -- although he does tend to make factual errors, he is more than adequate.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:31 pm

I just wish that he would make his notes more interesting - his notes for Moody Blue, Promised Land etc are so similar to Platinum.

Now I understand that he's writing about the same period but he could have changed the wording a bit, like I do when I copy someone's essay and pass it off as my own. (kidding!).

They made a big fuss at BMG about the liner notes for Today, Tomorrrow and Forever but so much was almost identical to Platinum or any of the re-rereleases from 1999 and 2000.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:09 pm

Thanks for the information, Doc.