Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Manchester last Friday night - elvis gig

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:37 pm

hi there,

I've been busy since last Friday so apologies if this has already been discussed. I just wanted to say what a great time I had at the Elvis concert last Friday night. What can be better than listening to two hours of your favourite music blasting out of the best hi fi system going with 8000 like minded people - top notch. The fact that the music is also live is even better. The crown to (certainly the second half) were realy up for it. The big anthems going down a storm (how great thou art, wonder of you, my way, american trilogy) and of course Polk and Suspicious Minds sending the place mad as well. The band improvise little anymore but are still rock solid. I thought JB's guitar work was miles better than last time I saw the concert in Sheffield a couple of years ago. But Ronnie was noticibly less energetic - but christ thats no surpise! The overall sound was great nontheless. As ever I dragged 5 others along for their first time (ranging from Elvis fan to complete non believe) and everyone thought it was great.

I know some don't like the concept of the tour but it really does work well. Even at the lowest level I would gladly pay £30 a year to blast out my favourite tracks on a great PA system, surrounded by other fans without fear of pissing off my neighbours. But this is much much better than that. Was anyone else there? If so what did you think?

cheers Jamie

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:33 am

Yeah I was at the MEN arena, I travelled a good few hundred miles to get there & it was worth every mile. It was my first time at one of these concerts & I thought it was fantastic, it was great seeing so many people, young & old make an effort to have a really excellent night! You say there was 8000 people there but the MEN seats 19,000 & apart from 2 empty blocks & a few half empty ones it looked pretty full to me so I think the crowd might have been bigger than 8000? still whatever the figures were everyone was in good voice!

Taken about 30 minutes before the start:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:36 am

nice picture !

hope to shoot full of pictures tomorrow in paris

( and that security will allow to keep our camera )

crowd

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:27 pm

I didn't realise it held that many! It probably was bigger than my estimate then. Great stuff and great gig. Enjoy Paris.

cheers Jamie

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:57 pm

I was there last tuesday in Ahoy Rotterdam, Holland.
The concert was very good en the sound was great.
Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001) gave me the chills.
Next Sunday I will be there again, this time in Amsterdam, Holland, for the last show of the tour. And for that, maybe the last one ever...

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:53 pm

Nice pic PHUK. It's good to be able to see what the crowd is like.

I wanna go, I wanna go, I wanna go...(Stamping my feet) :cry:

:twisted:

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:43 am

With my new super duper do it all digital camera I managed to shoot some video of the concert, Also Sprach Zarathustra with See See Rider & An American Trilogy plus a couple of other small shots. Now the question is..if I posted these on my website for people to view/download would I be breaking any laws?? Your views please!

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:46 am

PHUK wrote:With my new super duper do it all digital camera I managed to shoot some video of the concert, Also Sprach Zarathustra with See See Rider & An American Trilogy plus a couple of other small shots. Now the question is..if I posted these on my website for people to view/download would I be breaking any laws?? Your views please!

You already DID break the law when you took the camera with you ... :D

Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:17 am

I went to Wembley - it was brilliant!! I have been to the show every time it's been on - at least two every time it tours. I absolutely love it. I know Elvis is not there - and indeed I am so excited when 2001 is played, the build up, then the curtain drops, it's just really great.... but I have always felt two minutes of disappointment when Elvis is there on screen, not live, cos the build up makes you think he's there. However, the show is really really excellent, I just purely enjoy it cos it gives me a small taste of what it would have been like - utterly fantastic. I think the concept was cool and I love the various pics I've seen of Wembley, Manchester etc full to the brim to see a man who died so long ago. That says it all. He really was unique.

Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:54 pm

The Wembley Concert was fantastic. I certainly had a great time and the crowd I was sat amongst were singing, dancing and all having a great time. It was packed!

PHOTOS FROM WEMBLEY

In contrast, a week after that concert, I went to the one at the London Arena. Although the crowd were in attendance, they didn't seem as appreciative of the show.

The row in front of us were getting up to fetch drinks from the bar. This was during the songs!

It spoilt it for me during, "How Great Thou Art", "The Wonder Of You" and "I'll Remember You", when the people were getting up in the middle and then coming back with arms full of bottles from the bar. You don't mind people having a drink, but surely they could have waited for the intermission - or when the band were playing "Hound Dog" or some other throwaway song?

Maybe it was where I was sitting, but the London Arena show was a completely different experience when compared to the excellent atmosphere of Wembley.

To top it all, during the interval some freak was dressed in a jumpsuit, complete with wig and fake sideburns. Even worse people were forming a queue to have their pictures taken with him! I only hope their excuse was they had too much to drink!

Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:41 pm

how did you post these pictures? I'd like to share some news paper scans but do not know how to get these added to the text.

Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:57 pm

Hi Getlo,

Thanks for the photographs of the Wembley Show. I attended both shows also but have to disagree with you. I thought the London Arena Show was the best all round. Still, there is not other show to compare it with.

Brian :D