Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:05 pm

Sorry doc, but good cutting on ONE OR TWO Songs is not going to make up for having a medicated version of Suspicious Minds in place of perhaps the best filmed version EVER!! You know the other edits so I don't have to repeat. The producer didn't know the material and the whole project is hodgepodge. It is a not a breathtaking experience, just like the first version wasn't. My opinion....BOTH are flawed. But the first one is better. I can track past the interviews, but on the new version I can't track to the songs I want to hear!!!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:19 pm

Mr. Pennebaker -

It's a great shame you are not employed by EPE or Turner.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:20 pm

Always the Doc, quick with putdowns, but no reasoning to back up your "facts".

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:36 pm

I've been meaning tell you this for a while. You know that "whooshing" sound you keep hearing?

It's all the knowledge I post to this MB going over your head.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:52 pm

Genesim -

To be fair to Rick Schmidlin - the songs he left out were intended to be included in the DVD 'extras'.

It was Turner who pulled these at the 11th hour.

Even with its flaws, I still prefer the SE version.

Remember that guy from the original with the missing tooth & his 'nasty little letter' ?

What about the fan convention & the weird performers there ?

The SE flows much more smoothly without these distractions.

Colin B

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:00 am

Really Doc? I think a lot of hot air is more like it!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:23 am

Why not have Don't Cry Daddy, Walk A Mile In My Shoes? WHy not keep Bridge, Polk Salad(rehearsal), Sweet Caroline(can't believe this was cut!!!!)? How about Make The World Go Away or The Wonder of You? Better yet how about ANYTHING that exhibited what he was performing at the time, that he cared about.

Actually "The Wonder of You" was released both on the new TTWII S.E. DVD as on FTD's The Way it Was.

The presentation of the S.E. is all-round much more modern, a better product as a whole. Better sound and better editing (though it was a patch-up job sometimes). A better pace also, taking out all the fan comments/convention footage that only slowed the original movie down and added little value. In fact, this fan footage made the whole Elvis happening seem ridiculous to the non-Elvis fan, a bunch of blind worshippers and dull wannabees was not what a rockumentary about Elvis' golden concert years needed. Indeed: the more vintage E-L-V-I-S the better.

Although it's a shame certain songs were left out, previously featured on the original TTWII edition and The Lost Performances. I could have lived without I can't stop loving you and rather would have seen I just can't help believin', for example. Perhaps even a new version of it? Maybe this didn't happen because that song was big in the UK and Europe but wasn't released in the USA? (it entered the UK lists on 15/12/71 and reached nr. 6, also nr. 4 in Holland, nr. 11 in Flanders; world total +/- 600.000 copies)

It would have been perfect to put them all (MIA songs) in a bonus section on this S.E. DVD. What effort would that have been? Probably finances are a big part of the answer, as using film (rights) = very expensive.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:47 am

As Colin points out most of the missing songs were scheduled to be included as extra footage on the DVD, so it isn’t really fair to blame Rick Schmidlin for Turner’s decision not include extra’s in the DVD, and overall I think he did a fine job on the new version of the film. I agree with DJC’s comments that the special edition succeeded in showing the Elvis of 1970 as a viable creative artist, and I think the film flows much better without the pointless footage of fans, weddings, and conventions that featured in the original movie. The original film did include some good performances by Elvis, but I don’t think it stands up quite as well as a document of Elvis Presley the artist during the summer of 1970, and surely that’s what “a film about him” should concentrate on.

Personally, I thought all of the editing was first rate. We have to remember what the producers had to work with here, and I think the concert footage is edited together superbly, and is a joy to watch. If Turner/MGM ever do decide to produce a special edition of the “On Tour” documentary, I’d be quite happy for Schmidlin to handle the project.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:15 am

I'm waiting for the TTWII Ultimate edition.
Isn't that what they do after a couple of years?
Add some extras so we buy it all over again.

Also waiting for the On Tour dvd. I might have to find my VHS version
and make do with that.

8)