Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What about Priscilla?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:25 am

What do all you people really think of Priscilla? Anyone else notice that they did not seem to very happy. Even on wedding kiss, it did not seem very passionate. Was there any pictures of Priscilla when she was pregnant with Lisa Marie? I know she was not very happy when she found out she was pregnant. Did Elvis really tell her he did not find pregnant women very attractive. I know he was not the best husband, but she knew how she would be when she married him. Right.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:32 am

Joann -

Elvis was coerced into the marriage by her family.

I think they loved each other.

At first, anyway.

Priscilla wasn't too bad.

She didn't like the Memphis Mafia being around, so she had some taste at least.

Had she not left when she did, the story might have had a very different outcome.

Colin B

Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:44 am

Ever study the Priscilla Coincidence Factor?

She moved in at Graceland/his string of #1 hits suddenly came to an end.

They wed/his career picks up - he wins a Grammy - and he sustains fresh million-sellers during their marriage.

They divorce/his sales and image starts going bad.

Priscilla should have given Elvis an ultimatum: either these ass-kissin good old boys leave or I do. IMO, if I were Elvis I'd rather have my wife (and mother of my daughter) by my side than those ass-kissin good ol boys.

After the divorce, you can clearly see Elvis slid downhill - morally, professionally, physically and spiritually. and pharmaceutically. It was the beginning of the End.

Priscilla, pursuant to her own identity and clout, is nowadays earnest to let the dead and buried stay that way. Elvis is famous enough. The living here and now is Prisiclla's image as a Rock Royalty Diva-Entrepreneur and her support for Lisa Marie's new music career which realistically has more commercial and artistic potential than the stagnat career of her famous dead exhusband. There is the distinct discrimination.

(Yes, we still love Elvis - I love Elvis - but a deceased human being's career offers no progression - just reisssues remasterings and remixes and repackagings so for us, we can relive the bygone Elvis Era)

IMO, for Priscilla, building a self-sustaining legacy for herself and Lisa is far more important at this point than Elvis' legacy. In their realm of interest and activity, Elvis is old news. Lisa is the current buzz.

The Priscilla/Lisa Legacy requires more work and more energy and more ambition and more excitement than Elvis'. His is simply confined to the low-maintenace preservation of a two-story museum and a backyard gravesite. It basically takes care of itself in a petrified manner of presentation.

She is dilligent for moving forward and upward to greater things! That is something Elvis is sadly unable to do. But she can. And Lisa can.
Because, as someone once said, LIFE GOES ON.

Gradually since the 1980s, it's really about them. The Lisa Marie & Priscilla Era. Where the media is concerned, there is a deliberate goal to turn the tables and Lisa will no longer be know as Elvis' daughter. He will become known as Lisa's late father.

Life - and all it has to offer - is for the living.

- just an observation.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:07 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:Priscilla nowadays is earnest to let the dead and buried stay that way. The living here and now is Lisa Marie's new music career which has more potential than the career of her dead exhsuband.

IMO, for Priscilla, building a self-sustaining legacy for herself and Lisa is far more important than Elvis' legacy. Elvis is old news. Lisa is the current buzz.

The Priscilla/Lisa Legacy requires more work and more energy and more ambition and more excitement than her dead ex-husband's. His is simply confined to the low-maintenace preservation of a two-story museum and a backyard gravesite.

She is dilligent for moving forward and upward to greater things! That is something Elvis is unable to do. But she can. And Lisa can.

- just an observation.

Yeah, but I bet Elvis will still be remembered and celebrated looooong after both Priscilla & Lisa are off the scene.

I do give her credit for the impressive monster that the Estate has become today. At the very least, I also tip my hat to the Estate for going after the biggest "Snowman" of them all - The Col.. That was sweet.

N8
...just a fan....

Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:35 am

N8,

I agree. Priscilla can justifiably state proudly that she created more wealth for Lisa's inheritance than Elvis was able to. That's where she can get even with any digs she had at Elvis. He financially decreased - she financially increased. I imagine the staff at EPE is very respectful to Priscilla as a businesswoman.

And yes, Elvis will be remembered and talked about and listened to long after Prisiclla and Lisa are dead but in the here and now, where self-need is concerned, I believe she makes little effort to make Elvis more famous. It's natuarlly about her own interests, personally and professionally. And Lisa's career.

When the camera showed Prisiclla all proud-looking after Lisa sang on that VH1 Diva Duets program, I clearly saw that this moment (and surely several more to come) has nothing to do with Elvis Presley. Elvis who? It's currently about her daughter....Lisa.

I bet mentions of Elvis happen less and less during conversations she has with people. Obviously the obligatory, "I bet her dad would have been proud..." yada yada. But the focus has shifted to Lisa. I suspect That's The Way It Is in Prisclla's World Today.

- just an observation.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:06 am

Ever study the Priscilla Coincidence Factor?

Yeah, right. Priscilla Beaulieu had virtually nothing to do with Elvis' artistic renaissance in 1968-1970. Period.

Presley's renewed engagement can be better attributed to his fortuitous connecting with people who understood and elicited his massive talent, like director Steve Binder and producer Chips Moman -- not to mention Elvis himself.

On the other hand, it is likely that the failure of the Presley marriage and 1973 divorce in some fashion negatively affected Elvis for the remaining years he lived.

It's so wonderful Priscilla chose to honor her five year union with Elvis by retaining his surname for the past thirty years. What a great lady.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:51 am

Hey Gardner, why dont you go join the Lisa and Priscilla fan clubs? im sure they will be glad to have ya. Leave Elvis to the big boys.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:00 am

So Kylan,

I guess thats what you meant with "insulting and smart ass comments" that you didnt like to be called....

You are unbelievable

Francesc

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:02 am

I was wondering when you would pop up! little late arent ya? oh and as an aside, mind your own business.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:12 am

Kylan......

I am a big boy.
Just ask....

--------------------------------------------------
I am not a cheerleader for Priscilla and Lisa Marie. I am clearly and objectively pointing out the fact that their main priority in life is NOT trying to expand the fame of Elvis. Keep the $$$ rolling in, yes, but they each have personal self-serving agendas for themselves that do not involve Elvis.

Wake up.

GROUND ZERO of the Elvis Presley Legacy is his sacred remains buried poolside by a two-story museum in Memphis, Tennessee.

All that is required to maintain it presentable for all the ages is...

1) pay the utility bill every month.
2) Windex the display cases regularly
3) mow the lawn every 2 weeks.

Priscilla is not concerned with those things. She concentrates on maintaing her own image and career. Lisa does the same for herself.
This day and age is all about them in their own busy worlds. Their own documentaries and TV biographies!

Where Elvis is concerned, it's a matter of routine historic preservation.

Where their lives are concerned, it's a matter of continued ambitious progression.

That's life in the big city.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:15 am

Excellent post DJC. I would also like to add that Priscilla did throw the afore mentioned ultimatum out many times and Elvis always chose his boys.

Tony

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:33 am

Here are a couple of my thoughts on the subject...

I see what's being said, and I can understand the thinking, but..

Lisa and Priscilla may be trying to separate their images from Elvis a bit in the media, but if nobody else in the business can do it, how can anybody who's related/associated with him do it? They can't.

Not that I agree with it, but who did Michael Jackson get compared to? Elvis. Who did Marilyn Manson get compared to? Elvis. Who did Billy Ray Cyrus get compared to? Elvis. Who did Eminem get compared to? Elvis. Who did Garth Brooks get compared to? Elvis. I don't recall anyone saying "Looks like Garth Brooks is even bigger than Elton John". (and I like Elton's music, so don't get me wrong there)

Elvis is, and may possibly forever be, the measuring stick for all solo artists who make it big. For that reason alone, it's impossible for anyone in popular music to get out from under his shadow.

As for Priscilla, I think she did more harm than good while Elvis was still alive - but that wasn't totally her fault. After Elvis passed, though, she's done some great, amazing things. But here's a question for everyone to ponder: if this would have been pretty much any other artist, could she have done what she did? I don't believe she could. I do agree that she did alot with what she had, but a lot of success came because she had a lot to work with.

Just my thoughts.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:46 am

As for Priscilla, I think she did more harm than good while Elvis was still alive - but that wasn't totally her fault. After Elvis passed, though, she's done some great, amazing things.

Mike - too bad she didn't do those things in reverse.

I imagine she got the last laugh/revenge on Elvis in some private respects when taking over the estate after Vernon died. It was her time to run the show. The fact she (and Soden) brought the Presley estate and bank account from near bankruptcy is her claim to fame. She is due kudos for that. (Also the fans who make the annual pilgramage to Memphis - it's their money invested!!!!)

NOTE TO LISA AND PRISCILLA: Remember and respect the fans. (In street slang: Don't f*ck over the fans.

Now Lisa has it and even tho the CEO has her own high-profile music career, I hope EPE continues to work hard to present Elvis as the greatest artist ever and as a wonderful humanitarian

but we all know that in some corporate legalities involved in the function of EPE, the original mindset/presence/will of Elvis Presley has ceased to exist.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:28 am

but we all know that in some corporate legalities involved in the function of EPE, the original mindset/presence/will of Elvis Presley has ceased to exist.

Absolutely true. It's one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" deals, but the people at Graceland in Memphis do their best. When you're on the inside for so long, the world changes.. the same thing happened to Elvis, too at certain times. But when you think about it, we fans tend to look at EPE and think "this should be done by what Elvis wanted", like it's from his standpoint... but they're really more in a "Col. Parker"-esque position. Just thought of that.

It's interesting how much in the last 5 years, the fan base has grown more detailed, intelligent, and imaginative in their input to the various companies - and I think that it's partially for this reason that they're taking more notice of things such as this board.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:41 am

While we all indulge in slagging off anyone who was close to Elvis - remember.

There is nothing to stop Lisa with Priscilla's help in auctioning off the contents, razing Graceland to the ground and building a parking lot. That would leave a hole in August.

Ecept the incredible income Graceland enjoys.

But will the grandkids care as much? Lisa might get knocked over by a bus tomorrow.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:46 am

KIWIKONG is right. What measures are in place should something happen to LM?

incredible income
is money from us! For the past 21 years.

We pay the utility bills, buy the Windex and pay the Graceland Gardener.

For all these years. I hope Elvis himself would appreciate it.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:01 am

I think Priscilla was in general a bad mate for Elvis. Part of this came from the fact that she never seemed (at least my impressions from Elvis and Me) to approach Elvis as a real person. She did outrageous things for this man and was in love with him from her first date more because he was Elvis Presley than because he was her type of guy.

I also think she was bad mate because she didn't understand an artistic temperament. Look at the incident where she mentioned that Elvis copy Ricky Nelson's hair style. It's an innocuous enough comment in a standard relationship, but in context it was a tremendous insult. Worse to me is her glee at the book burning incident at Graceland. Her boyfriend is trying to improve himself but she doesn't see that. All she sees is that he is not paying enough attention to her. I give her credit for trying to understand but, on the other hand she doesn't understand. Again they just don't have a lot in common.

She's in love with this great and popular artist but she never understands that being a great and popular artist comes with a unique set of pressures. If she were Pat Boone's wife maybe things would have worked out.

The clincher in this regard was Priscilla's statement on an early 90s talk show that she was fooled by Ronnie McDowell's re-recordings of Elvis' Sun classics. She was probably the only one.

It was obvious though that, at least one point, they did love each other. Look at their reactions to each other on some of that vacation footage. They are both obviously taking great joy in the other person.

Priscilla's job with the estate is way overrated. The reason Elvis didn't leave much of an estate was because he spent money like it was going out of style. This is no reflection on his earning power. In 1977, he was listed in Billboard as the year's top live attraction. His records all sold like a bajillion copies and he was the highest paid movie star in the world in the 1960s.

Then when Elvis died people who had given up on Elvis or those who never knew regained or developed an interest. It doesn't take much skill to market a product that everybody desperately wants.

It was an inspired stroke to open Graceland though.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:06 am

Kylan wrote:I was wondering when you would pop up! little late arent ya? oh and as an aside, mind your own business.

Lets say I mind my own business, why dont you mind you own business and skip this subject since you dont like Priscilla or Lisa, what was the need to be an ass ! oh I see you are an ass !

Francesc

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:09 am

Was she happy in her relationship with Elvis all the time? No of course not. Would you be? Elvis was a lousy husband and a lousy father. Priscilla didn't like the mafia around all the time and mafia didn't like Priscilla around all the time either. They were not big fans of each other.

Was she responsible for his good career highlights? of course not and she was not responsible for his bad ones either. But she did have a big impact on his decline. I don't think it was a coincidence at all that his decline began when she split. Some people say he didn't care but that is bull. Not to mention that the The divorce and breakup songs went through the roof. But you can't blame her for leaving.

He also loved her more than any other woman he was with. Was she the best one for him? No but we don't always pick or love the ones that are the best for us. They fell out of love with each other in a romantic way but they still loved each other after the split.

She has never bad mouthed him in public although i am sure she could find plenty of examples if she wanted to.

And she has done a great job with graceland. She has had help but she always has had input. If she wanted something to happen it did and if she didn't it didn't. Elvis was not worth much when he died and now look. It's a good thing she got a hold of the estate. Who would you have wanted in charge? lawyers?

And not everything her or her daughter do should have to do with Elvis. They have their own lives to lead. The man is dead. You don't live for people that are dead.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:25 am

It IS very telling that Priscilla still uses the name Presley and is even referred to as Elvis' widow; they both suit her purposes.

The Estate machine only needed to be created, for it does practically run itself. It would be hard to mess it up.

I would add one point to GG's list above:

4. Litigate, litigate, litigate. Gotta pay those lawyers to protect the product - copyright / images, and keep everyone else's hands out of the pot that doesn't belong. EPE does an outstanding job in this regard.

IMO, Priscilla is a wolf in sheep's clothing, .................. irregardless, she has looked after Lisa's welfare very well and handed EPE over to Lisa, a deftly managed Estate (which is probably for the best, since Lisa Marie doesn't strike me as a rocket scientist). :lol:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To say that Lisa (or Priscilla for that matter) will ever achieve as much as Elvis has, is .............. a stretch.

Priscilla is creating a BROADWAY MUSICAL about her life ........... go figure. I understand the appeal of that about as much as I do seeing her clothing on display at Graceland. I think she's a bit delusional.

N8
...just a fan....
Last edited by N880EP on Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:29 am

Good post, Khmm!

Just playing Devil's Advocate, though, hope you don't mind, and I mean no offense...

She has never bad mouthed him in public although i am sure she could find plenty of examples if she wanted to.

I would personally call the "Elvis And Me" movie a one and a half hour continuous Elvis-bashing session.

I know what you're saying, I just had to add that. :)

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:18 am

I wouldn't call Elvis And Me a bashing session. If everything was painted peachy, then you know she would have been lying!!

"Yeah, right. Priscilla Beaulieu had virtually nothing to do with Elvis' artistic renaissance in 1968-1970. Period"

Sorry Doc, but the birth of a child, renewed responsibility, the influence of a mans wife, these are all factors as well. I am sure the timing of the 68 comeback is more than a coincedence. The fact that Elvis wanted to participate says that Elvis had a change of attitude. He had a new baby girl, which had to change his outlook about his career in general. You are only looking at the obvious like good producers...you forget to look at the drive that got him there!!! Also, you can have all the good producers in the world, but without the tools(attitude), the show could have fallen flat on its face. IT was obvious Elvis was coming out swinging. To ignore his personal life is oversiplifing things!

"On the other hand, it is likely that the failure of the Presley marriage and 1973 divorce in some fashion negatively affected Elvis for the remaining years he lived. "

In some fashion??? Uh I think it is more obvious than that. Cilla was someone Elvis loved, and the divorce had terrible effects on him. Is it just me or did most of his girlfriends look like Cilla? How many songs did he sing about his problems in the last years of his life?

So what if Cilla uses Elvis last name!!! This is not that uncommon. Furthermore, she deserves the title. Without her(sorry facts are facts) no graceland. That house is one of the reasons that Elvis still thrives today. "The image is one thing.."
To a lot of people the idea of Elvis is just as big as his music.

Elvis divorced Cilla and not the other way around. SO some people need to take off their Rose colored glasses. Elvis was a horrible husband, and that is why she cheated on him. She knew exactly what she was doing. She didn't just cheat with any random guy...she wanted Elvis to know. To end the relationship. Most women would have left sooner.

That said, I think she has taken care of Elvis daughter and from what I have seen she hasn't really done that bad a job...considering who her husband is!!! The fact that LISA is still alive, is a miracle. Let alone coming up on a PLATINUM album.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:42 am

Hi, Genesim!

Good post!

The reason I call "Elvis And Me" a bashing session is because her actor looks so much like her and is all "innocent" in the movie, and Elvis' looks like an idiot and is portrayed as this pitiful, horrible, never happy man who does nothing but cause problems and throw tantrums. To me, that's bashing. She could have shown the down side without going as far as that movie did. There's hardly any of the happiness shown in the home movies, anything like that.

She can tell the bad with the good (that's not what I'd call respectful, but I wouldn't knock her for it), but to show maybe 10% good and 90% bad was a wrong move.

I actually don't knock Priscilla much, I think she's done a lot. But this movie is definitely a sore spot in my eyes... especially since they keep showing it on TV..

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:13 pm

Mike I agree with you about the movie. I guess I was thinking about when I read the book. The movie is horrible. Especially the dumb ass playing E! I think the girls portrayal of Cilla is dead on.

I never liked Cilla's portrayal in Elvis the Movie with Kurt Russel. Too bad you can't combine the 2 great performances to make a better movie.

I must say the Elvis and Me book is not perfect, but it is a little nicer than the usual dreck that the Memphis Mafia has wrote. A lot of the book is spent on how she feels about him. The pills and the "rape" may be just telling it like it is. Not much of what has been said has been disputed. Though I doubt Elvis was the only Guy that she was with. Again, she probably wasn't as innocent as she protrays herself. Then again, most chicks are the same way. Once you turn out the light(or a few drinks) the inhibitions come down. Though, they never will talk about it...at least not like guys to the rest of the world!!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:41 pm

It would not be (as) strange if Cilla had kept the Presley name after the divorce, but she didn't: she went back to Beaulie. It wasn't until after Elvis' death she took the Presley name (again). I guess it wasn't a secured trademarked at the time *lol*