Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

DJC - regarding "M&S" website

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:31 pm

I noticed on the "M&S" site that the posted recording times (for some of the 50's material anyway) are links.
Is it the intention to (some day) have direct audio links for these and/or all of the recordings posted on this site?
Just wondered if you happen to know.

Also, why wouldn't the session information for Hound Dog
(and other material) be updated to include this (these) selections as found on ELV1S?
(ie. Hound Dog Take 31 Elvis 56/50's Box Set/ELV1S)
Last edited by elvis-fan on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:43 pm

Elvis Fan,

If you click on the links you are taken to another page which gives detailed information on the number of takes of a particular song that are currently available, (both officially and unofficially) along with the titles of the relevant album releases that present the music in the best possible sound quality. As this is obviously very time consuming links aren’t available for some of the later recordings just yet. The site is undoubtedly the best resource for Elvis’ recorded music on the WWW. The people behind this site have really put some work into researching Elvis’ recording career.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:46 pm

Actually rockinrebel, the links I am talking about are once you get into the session information - the links are for each take of a particular song - take a look at the 50's section

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:01 pm

elvis-fan -

I think these links used to go to audio samples.

They have been removed for some reason.

Colin B

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:07 pm

Interesting. That's what I assumed... that they were audio links.

Is it illegal to post songs on a site that you can't download? (listen only)
Would BMG have anything to say about that?

It would be a welcome addition to this excellent resource website;
so that you can hear selected tracks or takes of a particular number.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:27 am

elvis-fan wrote:Actually rockinrebel, the links I am talking about are once you get into the session information - the links are for each take of a particular song - take a look at the 50's section

Elvis Fan,

Sorry my mistake, I see what you mean now. It looks as though there were once links to real audio samples of the music. I think there was a clampdown sometime last year, when EPE told all of the sites that were hosting audio samples to remove them. This would explain why the links aren’t active at the present time.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:55 am

It should be noted that even without the RA links, Steve Sholes' "Master & Session" is a stupendous Web site. Long may it run!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:15 pm

It's unfortunate that a site as informative as M&S couldn't work out some kind of
relationship with EPE/BMG to allow them to post at least audio segments of each take.
It would sure add to what is an excellent Elvis studio sessions resource.
For all the work that has gone into it, you'd think EPE/BMG would be happy to support such a site???

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:41 pm

Although I don't doubt for a second that BMG uses "Master & Session" as a reference from time to time, they will never align themselves with a Web site that (a) clearly outlines the material only available on "import" and (b) clearly proves where their releases fail on an audio quality level.