Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Sings Charlie Rich (1974)

Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:01 pm

Don't know how many of you are already aware of this.

January 27, 1974 Vegas

Most Beautiful Girl In The World.

One line: "Did you happen to see the Most Beautiful Girl In The World" [applause and laughter]
Elvis says: "I tell you what. I'll learn that song and do it all (pause) 'Cause Charlie Rich needs the money."

source: audience recording

Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:04 pm

Good one Elvis!!

:lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:46 pm

Yeah, it's too bad that Elvis never did give this song the full treatment. I love that song and can imagine how great Elvis would have sounded singing it.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:01 pm

Hey GG, That is similar to the Kansas City show in 1974 (featured on the Baxter Box Set) where right after the band intros Elvis says "Be sure to buy Jimmy Dean pure pork sausage because that Jimmy Dean need da' money". I loved that line !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:47 pm

Apparently the story behind the one liner, the most beautiful girl in the world, is that he was singing it to comedian Marty Allen.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:40 pm

he was singing it to comedian Marty Allen.

Is that what Elvis was talking about before he sang the one-liner? it's hard to understand.

Incidentally, at that time, Charlie's Rich's manager was Sonny Neal, the eldest son of Bob Neal, Elvis' former manager.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:14 am

When the great Charlie Rich hit the pop charts in 1972-73, several of the cuts Elvis made at Stax in 1973 and RCA Hollywood in 1975 were clearly meant to evoke the style Rich made popular with producer Billy Sherrill. Among them:

Girl Of Mine
Help Me
Bringin' It Back
Pieces Of My Life - actually cut by Rich in 1974

Note also that when Elvis was drying out at Baptist Hospital in October 1973, he spent a lot of time listening to and enjoying Rich's album Behind Closed Doors (Epic), too.

Have a lovely day.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:09 am

Guralnick has also speculated that Elvis' 69 comeback songs were influenced by Rich's work on Smash in the mid-60s.

Drying out?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:09 am

Drying out? Was Elvis an alcoholic? DJC if you are going to take a stab please use the right terminology. You are so sad sometimes. Why follow up what was promising to be an informative post with that dribble. Now tell me scholar, where have you read that Elvis was "drying out"? I do not believe anyone worth that salt would describe Elvis' stay as "drying out" as this term is used for alcoholics.

Tony

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:18 am

Tony, I believe the Doc is referring to Elvis' almost overdosing when he went on a drug binge in the following days of the divorce proceedings. Elvis almost died.

Drying out

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:24 am

Yeah, I know what he is making a reference to. I am just picking on him for his terminology. Drying out is used when talking about alcoholics. What Elvis was doing was detoxing. My point is Drying out sounds a lot more vulgar which is exactly what DJC was going for.

Tony

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:26 am

Yeah well that is Doc's MO!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:37 pm

Tony -

The truth hurts! Get over it.

God bless you!

Drug Use

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:43 pm

*yawn* same ole schstick same ole dance. DJ announces to the world that Elvis abused prescription drugs. I have often wondered how Elvis would have been remembered if he had bought his drugs off the streets much the same way Lennon did if he would be remembered in the same light.

Tony