Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

4th of July, 1976

Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:33 pm

I just read in the book "the ultimate Elvis" by Patricia Jobe Pierce that on the 4th of July, 1976, "a very fat Elvis appeared in an Uncle Sam costume for a Fourth of July performance at Oral Roberts University... Unfortunately, many photographs were taken of him during this show."
Is this information correct??
I've found a lot of errors and wrong informations in that book, and I was just wondering if this was another one. I can not remember having seen any pics of Elvis wearing an Uncle Sam costume...
Can anybody help me?

Bjorn

Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:35 pm

It was the bicentennial suit. There is no Uncle Sam Suit.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:40 pm

AndrewJ wrote:It was the bicentennial suit. There is no Uncle Sam Suit.

There's a picture where he wears an Uncle-Sam-hat. He really was in bad condition at that time. 1977 is nothing compared to this. But hey: Please give us the 92nd 1976 soundboard!!! ;)

Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:45 am

I agree. That is an awful photo (no need to post it here), and I absolutely concur that he looked worse around that time than he did most of the time in '77.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:01 am

Bless her pointed head, but the lady who wrote that book has alot mistaken. :cry:

Such as Dewey Phillips called Elvis "Hillbilly Cat" back in 1952

huh????

Or that when Elvis finished his show at SIU Arena in Carbondale, he went back to his hotel suite and contemplated how sh!tty his life was.

Carbondale has no hotel and after the show, Elvis went back to Marion Aiport, climbed aboard Lisa Marie and flew to Memphis after that show. (Maybe aboard the jet he contemplated how sh!tty his life was.)

Ultimate Elvis

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:08 am

Yeah, there are several mistakes in that book. That's why I was questioning this "fact" too.
Thanks for explaining about the show.
I've seen the pic with the Uncle Sam hat too, and I have to agree, it's certainly not one of Elvis' greatest moments...
What I don't understand is that someone can release a book with so many errors and mistakes, and call it "the ultimate Elvis"...
What about the books "the Elvis encyclopedia" by David Stanley, and "Elvis Day by Day" by Guralnick&Jorgensen?
Are they more correct?

Bjorn

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:31 pm

There is a red Elvis book called his Life From A To Z. I think this has been one of the best books for reference on Elvis. I think it is much better than David Stanleys book. Unfortunately it has never been updated to my knowledge.

You guys got me curious on the picture...do anybody know where it is posted...a link maybe.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:51 pm

I got that book G.
That book does have some errors.
It lists that Elvis performed a live concert in March 1958 which didn't happen.
There are some others but overall it's a pretty good piece of work.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:06 am

And some of the photo captions in that book are really wonderful. For example, a photo of Elvis laughing in his navy frogman suit (Easy Come, Easy Go) with another actor in the background. The photo caption says "Vernon and Elvis enjoying a happy moment".

So this is yet another movie in which ElvisĀ“ dad appeared, I guess.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:18 am

genesim wrote:You guys got me curious on the picture...do anybody know where it is posted...a link maybe.

I think there is another one very similar to this, and it is less flattering than this one.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:16 am

Is Elvis really wearing the hat or is it a photo edit job?
It looks fake.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:32 am

I can see what you mean, but I don't think so. I used to have an Elvis screensaver (of the slideshow variety) at work that I downloaded from one of the sites probably 2 years ago, and one of the pics on there was a different shot from that same show, presumably. There may be more such photos, I don't know.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:01 am

elvis-fan wrote:Is Elvis really wearing the hat or is it a photo edit job?
It looks fake.

My thoughts as well.

8)