Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Soundtrack FTD: Clambake

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:10 am

Hey kids!

Last night, I was listening to an old LP called "Clambake" and I was actually quite surprised how good it is. It's a great album! I'm not sure if FTD are going to release this album in their soundtrack series, but if they are, I'll -- no doubt -- buy it. The artwork is beautiful, too. And this has nothing to do with nostalgia. I was born some ten years AFTER this record came out.

Another thing that struck me while listening to this album is that BMG or FTD should release a new ballad album. And I don't mean a CD with "Love Me Tender", "Can't Help Falling in Love" and the likes on it. I'm talking about a CD containing titles like:

"A House That Has Everything"
"Almost in Love"
"You Don't Know Me"
"Tomorrow Is a Long Time"
"The Girl I Never Loved"

This would make a fresh and absolutely FANTASTIC album. It's too bad that RCA never got aorund to release something like this during the 60's. I think the 60's is the most underrated period in Elvis' career. A CD like this would show the world that E actually did cut some excellent songs in the 60's -- it's just that they were uses on lousy soundtrack album instead of on a real album.

This album would be like sister to "Tomorrow Is a Long Time", a CD that unfortunalety is now deleted. It would be a classic.

Come on, Ernst -- get to work!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:30 am

You're true about an alternative ballads album. BMG should try to get away from the idea that any hit during Elvis life should be on a compliation album. ALLCF proves that todays audience isn't the same audience as the one that bought Teddy Bear and Don't Be Cruel (very obvious though, but not something that BMG understands)....

I think it's time that BMG releases more compilations without any hits. There are so many songs that weren't hits because a) they were never released b) were released on the wrong time without any advertising c) were released in a time when Elvis wasn't 'hip' anymore (like '66-'67)....

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:43 am

I know how you feel... every time they put "Suspicious Minds" in a love songs collection, it drives me nuts...

They should make a love songs collection with only pretty, positive love songs.. that'd be cool.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:44 am

Yeah, it would be a great album.

BMG should extract one song from the album and release it as a single.

Untill now they did it with ALLC on number ones and probably the new single will end up on 2nd to none.

But they have to try it with an original one, not with a remix thing.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:03 pm

I don't think this would be a good idea. There're dozens of other possible projects for FTD to realize before they release stuff like Clambake. C'mon folks! This really has to be one of the three worst soundtracks of them all: "Clambake - hoh - have a clambake!", "Who needs money - that lovely lovely money?", "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey!", "With a C and an O and a N and a F and an I and E and an ENCE ..." You call this "a great album"? :x - My, my, my, Elvis-fans ... Sometimes it's really hard ... :?

Listing "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" next to the other stuff is a sin BTW. :) Okay, You Don't Know Is great ...

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:04 pm

Thijs077 wrote:BMG should extract one song from the album and release it as a single.

Are you joking?

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:07 pm

See See Rider have you read the original post properly?

They were talking about a Ballads Album, and this is what most of the replies were about.

:roll:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:18 pm

sam wrote:See See Rider have you read the original post properly?

They were talking about a Ballads Album, and this is what most of the replies were about.

:roll:

Yeah, I know. In the first post Clambake is called "great" nonetheless.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:18 pm

If it were alternate takes, it would be fab but I'm not really interested in compilations of stuff we've already got (unless like Elv1s with improved sound, but even then...)

Of course, this would probably be aimed at the general public who won't have heard most of these songs before so it might be good for that.

A rockin' collection would be better though - it'd win more fans! Think of all the rarities you could have on that! and by rarities, I mean lesser known tracks.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:30 pm

There seems to be something happening recently with regards to Elvis 60's film soundtrack albums.

It is as if there is a campaign among some fans to reassess them & their place in Elvis' career.

I'm all in favour of redressing the balance [they have been held in very low esteem for years] but let's not go overboard !

They weren't all stinkers, most have some good tracks amongst the dross [well, all right, 'Harum Scarum' was all dross] but they don't really measure up against his non-film studio stuff !

By all means let's give the good stuff ['Return To Sender', 'You Don't Know Me', 'Viva Las Vegas'] its due but some things ['Ito Eats', 'Old MacDonald', 'Confidence'] cannot be considered 'good' in any context.

Colin B

Ballads

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:31 pm

see-see-rider:

Yeah, "Confidence" and "Who Needs Money" are awful. "Hey, Hey, Hey" is pretty amusing, though. And the rest of the LP is GREAT. Elvis sings much better here than on many of the other soundtrack albums.

londonflash:

Sure, a rock'n'roll collection would be nice, too. But most people already knows that Elvis could rock, and if you want to here songs like that, you can buy the "Memories" CD or something. The laid back, heartfelt, lesser known mid- and late sixties ballads are far more overlooked, in my opinion. Together they would make an absolutely fantastic CD.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:38 pm

Keith Richards Jr:

I tell you what would be good for the general public:

A double cd set. One cd of rock n roll and another of ballads.

I think with a good price, decent notes, sound and promotion it would be a killer!

Andrew.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:41 pm

ColinB, What's wrong with "Eto Eats" :oops:

:oops:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:45 pm

I love Beach Boy Blues! :D :D :D

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:57 pm

Hi Carolyn,

I'll have to watch it - I can't even remember the last time I saw Blue Hawaii, just not for me, I guess!

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:04 pm

Carolyn I think those two albums are still on the BMG releases.
Upgraded with bonus alternate takes.

:D

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:11 pm

ColinB wrote:There seems to be something happening recently with regards to Elvis 60's film soundtrack albums.

It is as if there is a campaign among some fans to reassess them & their place in Elvis' career.

I'm all in favour of redressing the balance [they have been held in very low esteem for years] but let's not go overboard !

They weren't all stinkers, most have some good tracks amongst the dross [well, all right, 'Harum Scarum' was all dross] but they don't really measure up against his non-film studio stuff !

By all means let's give the good stuff ['Return To Sender', 'You Don't Know Me', 'Viva Las Vegas'] its due but some things ['Ito Eats', 'Old MacDonald', 'Confidence'] cannot be considered 'good' in any context.

Colin B

Good is what you think is good. It's all about personal taste. Therefore I'm sorry to put down anybody's personal taste. If you think Clambake is great, it's great. It was my fault. I tend to correct other people if there's something I cannot understand at first. Thinking about I often see that it my own postion was probably not as right as I thought it'd be.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:15 pm

Carolyn
They got this one on there site...

For the first time - digitally remastered from the original multi-track tapes including previously unreleased performances! All CDs include booklets listing the casts and crews with unique behind the scenes facts and photographs. Five of the all time favourite Elvis movie soundtrack albums: > Blue Hawaii; GI Blues; Jailhouse Rock; King Creole; and Loving You.

Blue Hawaii - Almost Always True - Aloha Oe - No More - Can't Help Falling In Love - Rock-A-Hula Baby - Moonlight Swim - Ku-u-i-po - Ito Eats - Slicin' Sand - Hawaiian Sunset - Beach Boy Blues - Island Of Love - Hawaiian Wedding Song - Steppin' Out Of Line - Can't Help Fallin In Love (Movie Version) - Slicin' Sand(Alternate Take 4) - No More (Alternate Take 7) - Rock-A-Hula Baby (Alternate Take 1) - Beach Boy Blues(Movie Version) - Steppin' Out Of Line (Movie Version ) - Blue Hawaii (Alternate Take 3)

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:18 pm

Hi Carolyn!

I'm doing fine. Ihope you're ok too.

Just went to my supervision but the prof is "unavoidably detained" so I've made the walk to the library and will be here until 1. I've got to go home and start working - I have a few essays to write and there's not enough time!

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:51 pm

A nice big queue Carolyn, but they'll have to wait! After all, they're only wanting to write their essays and we're talking Elvis!

Only kidding, there's enough room for everyone!

Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:53 pm

I have to agree with Colin. I'm all for re-assessing the movie stuff for what it is (and divorced from the context of the times that it was originally released in), but let's not lose perspective either folks. Yes, there is some overlooked, underrated tracks, and even an occasional hidden gem, but I've read on numerous occasions on this mb how some folks think Harum Scarem (or one of the other dreadful soundtracks) is great ect. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, and if you like this stuff all the power to ya, but please try to keep a realistic perspective on this!
That said, I would like to see a Best Of The Movies box that really does feature Elvis' better/best movie tunes. The Command Performances set started off and finished reasonably well, but it really broke down in the years 63-67: 1.) Only 2 Viva Las Vegas tunes, but 4 from Fun
In Acapulco! 2.) 3 tunes from Kissin' Cousins, but they somehow saw fit to omit the obvious best song from the film: Tender feeling. 3.) The inclusion of several rinky-dink movie title songs at the expense of decent tracks such as: Pocket Full Of Rainbows; In My Way; Forget Me Never; Home Is Where The Heart Is; I Need Somebody To Lean On; Today, Tommorrow and Forever; Big Love, Big Heartache, Could I Fall In Love, City By Night, All I Needed Was The Rain, Almost, and a couple of the Frankie & Johnny ballads. I would really like to see Ernst & Roger take another shot at this in the near future!

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:25 pm

It's amazing to me how well Elvis' soundtrack material sells.
I mean, I don't have any sales figures but it seems as though Elvis fans really enjoy the movie soundtracks.
I guess I find it interesting because of all the negativity surrounding Elvis' movie career.
For me, I can't sit through a lot of his later pictures but there are some songs I enjoy listening to.
Although when it comes to Clambake, I think I'd rather watch the movie than listen to the soundtrack.
As far as Elvis' movie tunes in general, "I Got Lucky" is probably one of my favorite "travelling" cassettes
(I've had for at least 15 years or so). I think I wore that thing out.

CLAMBAKE

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:04 pm

Hi Keith!
It's nice to see people who have a taste and an opinion on albums that I for one hold as one of the poorest soundtracks. Still, it shows what Elvis was all about and why he has such a widespread audience!
To me, at the time, it was the magnificent bonus tracks on this album that saved the album!
But, I agreee that all of the soundtracks should be released by FTD, along the line they did with the three first ones!
As for the compilations, I think we've had too many already! Otherwise the idea would have been a good one!

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:37 am

i seem to like the clambake lp this lp has severial cool songs i play sometimes.
hey,hey,hey,you don't know me,the girl i never loved,a house that has everything.
i remember hearing confidence on a pickwick lp in the 70s.