Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

missing session tapes you wish would be found.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:28 am

july 2,1956
jan 30,31,1956
sept 5-7,1957
kissin cousins
return to sender
any sun alternates.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:59 am

As I misinterpreted the above reply, I deleted my previous comments
Last edited by E-Cat on Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:52 pm

All the tapes made in '56 - I would kill for an outtake of "Anyplace is paradise" ... [nor realy kill, but you know what I mean]

Peter

TAPES

Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:20 pm

I would like to hear the "Hound dog" session and any of the rumoured SUN tracks. By the way, there are no lost tapes of "Return to sender" as Elvis did this in one take.
TONY DOBB

Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:43 pm

Hello everybody:

Tony you are wrong,if you take a look in Ernst JorgensenĀ“s book it states that the master take of Return To Sender is take 2.So there are alternate takes of this song missing,I look forward to hear alternates of this wonderful soundtrack.BYE FOR NOW.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:17 pm

Yes, I want to hear the July 2, 1956 tapes. The evolution of Hound Dog and Don't be Cruel must have been exciting.

Plus, I think we need to hear the first versions of Loving You from January 21-22 of 1957. They exist acetate, but tapes would be a much better source.

I'd also like to have the the outtakes from Feb, 23-24 of 1957. Outtakes of One Night, Loving You, and I beg of You (remake).

My Happiness

Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:20 pm

Legend has it that Marion started recording a tape halfway through "My Happiness", and recorded the rest of that "session", and played that tape for Sam. Where's the tape?

It really doesn't matter.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:58 pm

On the subject of “Return To Sender”, the master is indeed take 2, but the unreleased take 1 could simply be a false start or an incomplete breakdown, so we aren’t going to find an unreleased session for this song.
I would also take anything from 1956 and would agree that the “Don’t Be Cruel” & “Hound Dog” sessions would be interesting to hear. I’ve always wondered whether Elvis started “Hound Dog” at a slower pace, or whether the bluesy ending that was used on the Milton Berle Show was also tried, before they settled on the arrangement that we now know from the master.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:02 pm

I would like to see an alternate take of Reconsider baby.
It would be great to hear Elvis in a different version than the original,even greater to hear Boots Randolph outstanding sax-solo played different than the improvisation on the classic recording.

Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:08 pm

how about everything that is missing??? :)

Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:09 pm

I would love to hear outtakes from September '57 -- "Blue Christmas" or any of the Christmas songs recorded then. Of course, the July '56 "Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel" session has to be number one on anybody's list. Also, it would be nice if all the "Loving You" session tapes were found -- outtakes of "Mean Woman Blues" and "Got A Lot O Livn' To Do" hold great promise. In short, any '50s outtakes are priceless!

Mystery Train

Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:02 am

acetates exist of the jan 57 loving you sessions but the tapes are still lost.
i know the sound on acetate isn't as good as the session reels but i wish ernst would release more from this session either on ftd or bmg.
they have the box for the july 2,1956 session but no tapes.
you would think since the acetate of my happiness turned up 40 yrs later than the session tapes would turn up somewhere either in the vaults or in someone's collection.
look at what has surfaced recently the lost 2nd version of roustabout,the ann margret duet,harbor lights session reel.
let's hope more stuff does turn up from 1954-1965 .
who knows what might turn up.
let's keep our hopes up.
i'm not giving up on ya ernst keep searching.
theres no alt. take of reconsider baby just a false start.