Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Someone EXPLAIN "Elvis The Concert" to me, please!

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:22 am

What's so special about ELVIS The Concert? Could someone explain that, please? I don't get it. I went to see it in 1999 and this is definitely not the kind of event I'd spent my hard-earned money for a second time. I really wonder why people go to see this show three, four, five or even more times. Can't get enough of that canned stuff, huh? ;-)

All kidding aside: What do you think/feel is so special about a concert that a) never really happened and b) won't ever change? Okay, now someone will say they change the line-up and the songs here and there. But in the end it will always remain the same, up to a hundredth of a second.

Is this really worth the money, I wonder ...? I say no. I don't want to put anybody down. To each his own. Just wanted to hear your opinion on probably the most important subject right now next to the annual BMG box set and FTD.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:42 am

well, actually the footage used of Elvis' performances DID happen, DUH? lol i haven't attended any of these shows, but every Elvis fan i've spoken with has yet to be disappointed! if it makes people feel a closer connection to Elvis, then why not? it's not like he's gonna be "Live at MSG" anytime soon...lol

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:46 am

I missed this show and have not seen it. I would love to get the chance to see it.

See See Rider if you don't get it now, you never will. It's an Elvis event, the closest thing to being at an Elvis concert, that can be.

:D

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:29 am

sam wrote:I missed this show and have not seen it. I would love to get the chance to see it.

See See Rider if you don't get it now, you never will. It's an Elvis event, the closest thing to being at an Elvis concert, that can be.

:D

Yup, same here..... This is the closest thing that comes to a real Elvis concert. The sound, the feeling, the musicians on stage.... Even if you don't care about the concept, it's still amazing to hear Elvis music in a stadion (you won't get this boosted sound with your audio set)...

And to listen (and watch) to the King with thousands of other Elvisfans is really stunning...

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:07 pm

I have seen this Concert some 16 times, the last being last night at the London Arena. To see 10,000 Elvis fans on their feet cheering and clapping is something to behold. For a review of the show please go to the following URL:

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/showbi ... ce=Evening

Brian :D :D :D

Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:40 pm

Hi

I totally agree with Brian on this one. I went to my first Elvis The Concert experience last Monday in Glasgow. Far and away my lasting memory of this gig will be to hear Elvis music in a large venue, and to see the reaction of thousands of screaming people, singing every line of every song for 2 amazing hours :lol:

Clarke

Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:32 pm

A friend of ours Ivor Casey wrote a review of the Dublin Concert It appeared in our "Sunday Independent" newspaper-a broadsheet. We met Ivor at the Elvis Concert a couple of years ago in Dublin-he is just 18 years old.

Ivor is presently writing a book on, Elvis and Ireland.

And The concert? a brilliant concept! A new Art form. We saw it first in Memphis 1997.

It is an emotional event! Try staying seated at the end:-)

Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:52 pm

I think the show works well, and it’s great for those of us who never had the chance to see Elvis in person, to see the TCB band in action, and get some idea of what the Elvis concert experience would have been like. I don’t think this can be compared to seeing Elvis perform live though.

I think the only drawback the show has is that there is a lack of spontaneity about it, due to the fact that we’ve all seen the performance footage hundreds of times, and as the set list is normally common knowledge well in advance of the show taking place, we know exactly what we are going to get. It’s a pity EPE couldn’t strike a deal with Turner/MGM to use one of the complete concerts that was filmed for “Elvis On Tour”. This would be a great gesture for the fans, and would add to the excitement generated by the performance, as people would be seeing the footage for the very first time.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:29 pm

The attraction for me was the opportunity to see brilliant, legendary musicians
- James Burton, Ron Tutt, Jerry Scheff, Conductor Joe Guercio...

The culmination of this show with the live aspect presents the best possible way to enjoy the "Elvis Experience".
Obviously this is targeted to the true Elvis fan but also to a generation who never experienced his music / performances.

What's so special about ELVIS The Concert? Could someone explain that, please? I don't get it.

See See Rider, no disrespect intended, but I don't really understand how you can even ask such a question.
What's the alternative?
I guess the one thing I do agree with is seeing the show several times.
It does lose its magic after seeing it more than once or twice.
The first show I saw in Detroit was something I won't soon forget.
In fact, I recorded it on a little dictaphone.
The sound isn't perfect but it's still a great keep sake.

the concert is worth to see ( see rider ! )

Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:47 pm

when the idea of this show was launched I was very sceptical and had serious doubt about the final result
So when they first came to Paris I didn't go

but when they came back in 2000 I decide to go this time ( may be I was missing a great event ? )

it was just great ! my wife ( who is not an elvis fan ) said it was cool and much much better than some "still alive" performers !!!!!!!!!!!!

JUNE 5 elvis is back in town ( zenith arena in paris )
and I will be there

great rockin band ! ( do you believe it from a bunch of grandfathers !! )
from a technical view it is close to perfect

this is really magical and believe me I am very concerned about quality !!

Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:19 pm

Elvis The Concert is one of the best live shows ever (even without the main artist attending)!
It's a sell out show everywhere around the globe.
The sound quality is superb! Sound wise it can be compared to live acts like The Stones, Cliff Richard and Tom Jones, to name a few that come to mind at this moment.

I visited five times, three times with people who are no Elvis fans. Like me, they were swept away by this amazing show!
Sometimes the illusion that our man is actually in the arena is perfect!

Sonny

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:06 pm

elvis-fan wrote:[color=darkred]See See Rider, no disrespect intended, but I don't really understand how you can even ask such a question.

Hmmh, where's the problem? The reason I asked was that I wanted to get some answer. Some opinions. Some comments. Different points of views than my own ... Is that allowed?

What's the alternative?

Like I said, personally I don't get Elvis The Concert. So the alternative is to spend my money on other things rather than paying 60 EUR for a canned show. I prefer to buy 5 CDs or three DVDs instead. But that doesn't mean that others should do the same. Like I said: I was ASKING not giving answers. I was looking for answer.

There were some pretty interesting opinions yet. The most interesting IMO is rockinrebel's "lack of spontaneity". I was simply bored when I watched the show, I guess. Also the circumstances weren't that great, the sound was poor, the stadium was at least half empty, there were more Elvis-impersonators than "real people" (Elvis impersonators, please forgive me ;), You're great!) and the "gospel"-segment (I mean the choir during the intermission) was so embarrasing that for a long time I felt ashamed again to be an Elvis-fan. And in the end the ticket prices are no less than impudent. In *my* eyes, this is a rip off. But like I said, this is my personal opinion. All I wanted is to hear some different opinions ...

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:43 pm

see-see-rider -

Sounds as if you were unlucky !

Go again.

You might find with better seats & better sound, and a better crowd, that you see things in a new light !

Colin B

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:35 pm

see-see-rider -

Sounds as if you were unlucky !

Go again.

You might find with better seats & better sound, and a better crowd, that you see things in a new light !

Colin B

Yeah, you're probably right. Looks like I was unlucky. Another reason to ask for other people's experiences ...

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:48 pm

I have been once. I think everybody should try to go at least once. Its a good experience but I dont see myself going more than 5 times ! Too expensive.

Francesc

Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:25 am

I'm also a little baffled by "Elvis-the Concert". It requires an incredible suspension of disbelief. This is where the familiarity of the material really works against it. You've seen the stuff so many times before that it is hard to believe that this is an original concert right in front of you. It has already been mentioned that the show lacks spontaneity.

Plus the absence of Elvis himself really hurts. There is no give and take with the audience. Worse, there isn't that larger than life sense of awe that accompanied Elvis concerts in his lifetime. When Elvis walked out on stage, you can tell from the film footage, was just a magical moment. There is just no way to replicate that and that in not even an Elvis concert is a big part of the thrill of the concert going experience. You get to see the person in the flesh.

Also for those who see Elvis as more of a musician than an icon, it negates much of his input. The band members do not play off his instructions etc.

Still when I saw it in New York in 2001, it was cool to be able to look forward to seeing Elvis in concert. That's the appeal I guess. It gives a representation of something you just can't get anymore.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:29 am

Find yourself a heart and soul on sale somewhere! :wink: it might do ya some good! :)

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:50 am

I've been to the concert 2 times now and it's absolutely great.

The feeling, the musicians, the music, the elvis fans around you. It's just a real concert like it happened in the 70's for me.

I love it and will go again and again.

Tonight in Ahoy Rotterdam. OH yeah, I'll be there. Can't hardly wait.

PS. Only minor is the same footage, why not use some unreleased footage. That would be great.
Last edited by Thijs077 on Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:50 am

Actually, something that "Elvis The Concert" should seriously consider is using unreleased footage from "TWII", "On Tour", etc... I love the concert as it is, but that would be a huge selling point to the fans.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:52 am

lol, Thijs077!

You and I both got the same idea at the same time... in stereo, that's hillarious!

(so, this would be full stereo and not "binaural", right? LOL) :lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:13 pm

lack of spontaneity ?
well well 90 % of concerts ( any style of music ) are "suffering" of this !

faked "encores" always same gimmicks or supposed interactivity with the crowd

the frontier beetween lack of spontaneity and very professional and well drived
show is thight !

even the king himself felt in the trap of lack of spontaneity sometimes !

speaking of morons dressed like clowns if elvis was alive they will be here
anyway

I agree that some parts of the show may have been improved
( like using unreleased footage from "on tour" ) and that the gospel segment is a little boring specially the male backing vocals songs

on the other way sweet sweet inspiration is very cool

considering the price of admission we have paid 40 euros this is not "cheap" but really a bargain compared to a madonna or a rollingstones
show !!

the price is fair in my opinion

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:16 pm

Carolyn how come you didn't see it when it came here the one & only time ? Were you in N.T. or QLD then ? It was a great show...the most unbelieveable aspect to me was the 2001 Theme at the begining, for some reason they really made it very long at the start, the low drum roll went on for over 2 minutes (with the lights out) before any other instruments cam in....brilliant show. You don't notice the screen as it's like being at many shows these days with large scrren for those a distance from the stage.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:31 pm

Hmmh, where's the problem? The reason I asked was that I wanted to get some answer. Some opinions. Some comments. Different points of views than my own ... Is that allowed?

Yes, OK, I will allow that. LOL!!!

I was simply bored when I watched the show, I guess. Also the circumstances weren't that great, the sound was poor, the stadium was at least half empty, there were more Elvis-impersonators than "real people" (Elvis impersonators, please forgive me , You're great!) and the "gospel"-segment (I mean the choir during the intermission) was so embarrasing that for a long time I felt ashamed again to be an Elvis-fan. And in the end the ticket prices are no less than impudent. In *my* eyes, this is a rip off. But like I said, this is my personal opinion. All I wanted is to hear some different opinions ...

Yeah, sorry SSR. It sounds like your experience was a little different than the rest of us.
The price of the tickets ain't cheap, that's for sure.
As I mentioned in my post above, I kind of looked at it as something I'll chalk up to "Been There, Done That".
Sure, it isn't really him, but it's a worthwhile experience.
I loved it (the first time).
As Colin suggested, if you have a chance to see the show at a better venue, you may want to take advantage of that.
Although, I imagine most of the "illusion" is already blown based on your first experience.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:08 pm

My comments about spontaneity were in relation to the fact that we have seen the films that make up the performance countless times before, and not intended as criticism of the show for using the same songs. The show itself is a faithful recreation of the ‘70’s concert experience, but most of us are so familiar with the filmed performances used for it, that we know of every little “in joke” between Elvis and the band that happens to be captured on the performance footage, and we are also over familiar with all of Elvis’ dialogue and between song jokes. This doesn’t mean that the show isn’t entertaining, but it would be a nice gesture to the fans if EPE could secure the rights to some unseen performance footage, which would give the long term fans something new to look forward to during the show.

Take for example the April 18, 1972, San Antonio show that is about to be issued on the “Close Up” set. Some of us are familiar with the soundboard recording of this show, but aside from a handful of performances that were included in “Elvis On Tour” we haven’t seen the video footage. I’m sure that there would be one or two surprises, and instances of visual humour during the show, even though we are familiar with all the songs Elvis sang during the performance. Had EPE been able to secure the rights to this footage from Turner/MGM it would have provided excellent promotion for BMG’s upcoming box set, and really raised the excitement levels of the fans that attended the show. I know this will never happen, but I just wanted to clarify what I meant by “lack of spontaneity”.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:14 pm

Just a tidbit of info for you, I've got a promotional packet for "Elvis The Concert"...

Anyplace that wants to hire them is charged $60,000 USD, and then has to provide the orchestra memebers, travel expenses, hotel, etc.

Thought you all might find that interesting.