Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Black & White Night

Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:50 pm

I caught today for the first time the great Roy Orbison dvd `Roy Orbison and Friends....A Black & White Night`. While sitting watching this amazing show I was surprised to see practicaly half the backing group were from Elvis' entourage in the 70's, James Burton, Ronnie Tutt, Jerry Scheff and Glen Hardin were all there in both foreground and background, I found myself paying more attention to them than the other stars playing along side Orbison. Springsteen, Costello, Waits etc. Sitting watching this show [and its great sound via DTS/5.1] it struck me as how sad it was that Elvis didnt live long enough to do something like this, the biggest names in rock would surely have lined up around the block to have played the stage with him? The eightes or nineties really would have been great with the innovations tv and video brought to them. A great note was Springsteen attempting to play duel with Burton on guitar in the last track [Pretty Woman] before finaly shaking his head and giving up later to state that he couldnt have passed up the chance to sing harmony with Roy Orbison and play onstage with James Burton. Anyone who hasnt caught this disc should do themselves a big favour and catch it if they can.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:17 am

Great show isn't it :!:

I have it on a rapidly wearing VHS - must get the DVD version.

Also avaiable as an audio CD.

One of those rare occaisions when everything came together on the night.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:23 am

"A Black And White Night" is some of the finest pieces of music money can buy IMO. If you haven't got this outstanding DVD yet, go and buy it, you won't regret it. The Doby Digital 5.1 soundtrack is among the best that's ever been recorded. "Big 'O'" is a legend of his own, the musicians are great and this is nothing but pure enjoyment. You can feel the love and joy in the air as all these fantastic musicians play with one of the most amazing singers that popular music has ever had. This one comes really close to Elvis' NBC-Special ...

The best DVD I've ever bought, feat. Jackson Browne, T Bone Burnett, Elvis Costello, kd lang, Bonnie Raitt, J.D. Souther, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Jennifer Warnes and of course the complete TCB-Band with an outstanding James Burton and Jerry Scheff on acoustic bass. Wonderful!

"Roy Orbison is the greatest singer in the world." Now, who said that, huh? ;)

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:44 am

i agree it is among my favorite dvd's. the quality is fantastic and the sound puts you right there with the big o. it is a pity elvis was never allowed by col sanders to do a show like this. mike :roll:

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:45 am

shouldnt this be off topic guys? :wink: but since this is one of my fav dvds of all time and I love Roy Orbison so ill let it slide this time. lol

Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:33 am

Yes, I have this DVD. Can't add anything more than the guys have said above, but I agree with them 100%.
It's a fantastic DVD.

:D

comes close 2 '68 comeback?

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:31 am

ok, it's a good concert and i still enjoy it, but to say it comes close to Elvis' '68 Comeback? c'mon...i think most people would rather watch Elvis pound Scotty's guitar on "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" over and over and still find sumthin' fresh and exciting! sorry, but that show 4 me gets a lil boring after the 5th or 6th viewing time...