Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

SONG ELVIS PASSED ON ,, OTHERS RECORDED?

Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:26 am

I'm just curious if Elvis or any of Elvis's staff ever passed on any songs that went on to be big songs for other singers?.. I'm not talking about some record company beating RCA releases like " the first time i ever i saw your face or always on my mind".. just curious,, chris
Last edited by epfan22 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:18 am

Well, one that comes to mind is Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely". Elvis didn't exactly pass on it but Orbison tried to pitch it at him at Graceland one morning but Elvis was still asleep and Roy couldn't wait. (Roy apparently was not familiar with Elvis' schedule.)

Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman's "Turn Me Loose" was also written for Elvis. I guess because Elvis got drafted, he never got around to doing it. Fabian had a sizable hit with the song while Elvis was in the service.

Elvis also didn't get around to recording the Coasters "I'm a Hog For You" even though it was written for him and he had plans. After Elvis passed, the Coasters had a moderate hit with the song as the B-side to "Poison Ivy" (one of the 50s raciest 45s.). It's a shame because this little suggestive number was perfect for Elvis.

Finally, Bruce Springsteen wrote "Fire" for Elvis but unfortunately Elvis died before he could record it. It is unknown if Springsteen had it finished during Elvis' life or tried to submit it through Presley's channels.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:51 pm

It was mentioned a while ago that the Boss Bruce wrote Darkness on the edge of town for Elvis. He even brought it to Graceland but no king at home. It happened around 1975. Bruce recorded it and released it in 1978 on his album with the same name

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:06 pm

what about conways hit,, " its only make believe"?. and johny cash's hit " get rhythum"?

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:28 am

"Kewpie Doll" by the Tepper-Bennett team was slated for the amusemant park scene in Loving You.

It was passed over and a few months later became a top ten hit for fellow RCA chanter Perry Como.

A clue is often the songwriters involved - I would not at all be surprised if Johnny Restivo's "The Shape I'm In" and Fabian's "Tiger" were passed on.

I have a CD of Otis Blackwell on which he sings a couple of songs which no-one picked - one called "Clinging To A Dream" is so much like Elvis - a perfect fit.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:34 am

Johnny cash wanted elvis presley to record the song
get a rhythum, but sam told johnny not to give it to him

curtis simpkins