Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

For Ole Times Sake

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:42 am

Listening to this again tonight on Rythm n Country. What a wonderful understated performance this is, with a still fresh contemporary sound. On the same mote, listening to songs such as Three Corn Patches, Find Out What's Happening and Talk about thw Good Times - how this poor quality material even get conisdered for recording is baffling.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:06 am

"For Ol' Times Sake" is another example of how Tony Joe White's songcraft fit Elvis' style to perfection. It's one of the few successful cuts from his July 1973 Stax sessions.

If Presley's management had any inclination towards quality, they would've solicited many more from Tony. But that wasn't their priority.

Ole Times Sake

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:59 am

Raised On Rock/ For ole Time Sakes....250,00 copies #41 on charts
I've Got a Thing About You Baby/Take Good Care Of Her....500,000 copies #39 on charts
If You Talk In Your Sleep/Help Me.......350,000 copies #17 on charts
Promised Land/ It's Midnight..........320,000 copies #14 on charts
T-R-O-U-B-L-E/Mr Songman...........200,00 copies #35 on charts

It would appear by the numbers that For Ole Times Sake was one of the least sucesfull singles to come out of this session.
If you meant to say you really enjoy this song, then I will have to agree with you Doc.

Tony

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:19 am

It would appear by the numbers that For Ole Times Sake [sic ] was one of the least sucesfull [ sic ] singles to come out of this session.

Thanks for the fascinating sales figures. You are evidently unaware only the first two singles you list are culled from the July 1973 Stax visit.

In any case, my comment on "successful" is in terms of the artistic measure of "For Ol' Times Sake." Most of the July 1973 sessions are a disaster -- White's song is not. It doesn't matter how many people were thrilled by it as a B-side in 1973.

God bless you Tony!

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:28 am

What is it with the "Raised on Rock" sessions any way? Oké Elvis was not in his best of times (mostly about his f***** up relation with Prizzie). But he did some great things in the Stax studio and Palm Springs (sep 73). I miss you, is breath taking, absolute one of his greatest ballads so is "for ol' time sake". I can say that i'm very pleased with my "90's" version of Raised On Rock. On Tony Joe White, why he didn't record more of his songs? In a recent issue of Elvis the man and his music mag. there's an interview with White. He talks about his songs performed by El.

Sales Figures

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:33 am

Always glad to fascinate you Johnny :wink:
I did realize my mistake, I didn't catch the July in your post as I used July and December. Got me.
Anyhoo, now what guage are you using to determine the "Artistic Measure" of Ole Times Sake? Would this be the Johnny Savage unit of measurment? Perhaps it is just as I said above it is your opinion with which I happen to agree. It is a lovely song.

Tony

RAISED ON ROCK/FOR OL' TIME SAKE.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:59 am

I've always been very fond of the RAISED ON ROCK album.
I would have liked it re-released with the single I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU, BABY/TAKE GOOD CARE OF HER and some unreleased alternates!
The only song I didn't like back then, and still don't like, is GIRL OF MINE.
Otherwise I think Elvis did well on the ballads and I like his lazy, laidback style on the rocker's in there! M.O.

Re: For Ole Times Sake

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:08 pm

psk wrote:listening to songs such as Three Corn Patches, Find Out What's Happening and Talk about thw Good Times - how this poor quality material even get conisdered for recording is baffling.

PSK-

I agree with you about For Ol' Times Sake, but I for one think that Talk About The Good Times does not deserve to be grouped together with the far inferior Three Corn Patches and Find Out What's Happening. Just my opinion, but I think you gotta love the Jerry Reed songs; they suited Elvis very well and he certainly gave them a nice treatment.

Re: For Ole Times Sake

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:17 pm

BobbyTCB wrote:I for one think that Talk About The Good Times does not deserve to be grouped together with the far inferior Three Corn Patches and Find Out What's Happening. Just my opinion, but I think you gotta love the Jerry Reed songs; they suited Elvis very well and he certainly gave them a nice treatment.

Agreed, and Ernst thought so too as he included “Talk About The Good Times” in the “Walk A Mile In My Shoes” box set.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:06 pm

"Talk About The Good Times" is a decent track. It's practically rockabilly! I think the outtake on Rhythm & Country is even better than the master. And the ROR master version of "Find Out What's Happening" is a little underrated/overlooked in my view. Granted it's not a great song, really just a basic country tune that Elvis & company turned into a rock & roll number. But Elvis' vocal is better than he's given credit for, and this song/performance is certainly better than "Three Corn Patches."

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:14 pm

I like them all. Elvis only paled in comparison with HIMSELF. Even his worst efforts are still very good(hey jude excluded). Raised on Rock is a enjoyable album to me. Yes even Three Corn Patches! I especially like the lyric about Bulldog. My favorite dog, and one of my favorite lines on the album.

Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:42 am

You all probably won't agree with me on this one (especially you, Bajo), but Girl Of Mine is a song I didn't give much thought to until I heard it on Rhythm And Country. That version really shines IMO! OK, Elvis was not in top vocal form, but this take (perhaps due in part to the way it's mixed) communicates the intended feeling of the song better to me. I like the prominence of the background singers during the chorus and their "ooooooo-ing", and I also think Elvis emotes more effectively on this take (9).

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:45 am

The thing that I dislike on every Elvis album released after '71, is that Elvis sounds sooo sad... There's hardly any joy to hear on the albums. Yeah there are some fast songs and there are some songs where Elvis might have had some fun.... it's so weird: on stage Elvis seems to have so much fun, but nothing of this mood is left when he entered the recordingstudios. Just compare some '70 sessions with the On Tour sessions, it's a whole world of difference...