Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Presley Songwriter

Sat May 31, 2003 9:26 pm

Lisa Marie Presley is featured in today's, "The Irish Times", Magazine.

Now we have a Presley songwriter who has a gold record with her first release.....er escape:-) we can lay a certain topic to rest:-) Roll over John Lennon!

Our most famous (in Ireland) TV and Radio broadcster, Gaybriel Byrne spoke about how he came to appreciate Elvis' voice 15 years after Elvis had died! He also spoke of Elvis - The Concert at lunch time today and played, "The Wonder of You".

http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez

Sat May 31, 2003 9:34 pm

To even consider to compare Lisa Marie Presley's song writing abilities to John Lennon is beyond belief.

Are you serious :?:
Last edited by KiwiAlan on Sat May 31, 2003 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 31, 2003 9:51 pm

Who is this Prealey girl:-)

We have all of John's Albums. Some of his material is not first class -just like Beethoven's, Mozart's and Bach's little heard compositions.

Lisa Marie looks and sounds a lot better than some of the singers we are hearing lately. Her lyrics are not too bad either.

We saw her sing "Dont Cry Daddy" in Memphis 1997-she brought the house to it's feet!

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:28 am

This should be on "Off Topic."

That said, Lisa Presley has a very long way to go -- like most every songwriter alive today -- before anyone dares compare her work to John Lennon's.

If sales are so central to songwriter "quality," that means Britney Spears is a friggin' genius.

Maybe you should work on a statue for Spears too.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:36 am

To Alan and Doc, where in the post does it say that he is comparing Lisa's songwriting abilities to John Lennon or that she is better? hmmm i must be missing part of the post, my comp is broken. :( ill have to call and get this fixed I guess!

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:47 am

I took Maurices roll over John Lennons comments to be humourous.

Chuck Berry and the Beatles sang 'Roll Over Beethoven' so why shouldnt someone say 'roll over John Lennon'?

We wouldn't be discussing the greatness of the Beatles had they're singles not been huge sellers.

Roll on the Britney Spears statue. 8)

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:00 am

We wouldn't be discussing the greatness of the Beatles had they're [ sic ] singles not been huge sellers.

How wrong can you be? The Beatles are great and still revered to this day because they changed popular culture with their look, style, innovation, intelligence and incredible music.

God bless you, Paul!

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:16 am

Too bad you dont get a dollar for everytime you preach your Beatles sermon, you could retire Doc!

?

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:37 am

It is funny how the same people roll out of the woodwork to defend the Beatles are also the first people to critisize and belittle many of Elvis' acomplishments.

Food For Thought
Tony

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:07 am

Yes indeed fascinating Tony..

?

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:38 am

Any time any one defends The Beatles, I will be right there with him/her. How tough can it be for an album to go gold? I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that HALF of the people who bought her first cd were Elvis fans. The fans were curious to hear this cd. Lisa recording a cd had been talked about for years. Did anyone notice that when it debuted at #5 it went downhill after that?
I'm not trying to criticise her but, please, don't compare her to John Lennon or any great artist or songwriter. Man, she's put out ONE CD and it really wasn't all that good to begin with!
It's fine to support the person who is responsible for this web site and messageboard but to compare the daughter of the king of rock and roll to true legends is absolutely pathetic and idiotic.

jeff R

Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:39 am

Hey Jeff, can you help me with my comp maybe? im missing the part of the original post where colgateā„¢ is comparing Lisa to John Lennon? its not on my screen!

:wink:

Lisa

Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:55 am

Lets recap..
Here is what Maurice said....
"Now we have a Presley songwriter who has a gold record with her first release.....er escape:-) we can lay a certain topic to rest:-) Roll over John Lennon!"

Lest anyone mention a Beatle Kiwi felt like he should respond, how much sense this makes is up to you...
"To even consider to compare Lisa Marie Presley's song writing abilities to John Lennon is beyond belief.
Are you serious"

Well Johnny had to pipe in blindly. Here is his most thought out response to Marice's statement...
"That said, Lisa Presley has a very long way to go -- like most every songwriter alive today -- before anyone dares compare her work to John Lennon's.
If sales are so central to songwriter "quality," that means Britney Spears is a friggin' genius.
Maybe you should work on a statue for Spears too."

The Doc goes on to say still defending Lennon with much valor...
"How wrong can you be? The Beatles are great and still revered to this day because they changed popular culture with their look, style, innovation, intelligence and incredible music."

To which Jeffrey, grabbing his sword runs to the front to say in response to Maurice's statement...
"Any time any one defends The Beatles, I will be right there with him/her. How tough can it be for an album to go gold? I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that HALF of the people who bought her first cd were Elvis fans. The fans were curious to hear this cd. Lisa recording a cd had been talked about for years. Did anyone notice that when it debuted at #5 it went downhill after that?
I'm not trying to criticise her but, please, don't compare her to John Lennon or any great artist or songwriter. Man, she's put out ONE CD and it really wasn't all that good to begin with!
It's fine to support the person who is responsible for this web site and messageboard but to compare the daughter of the king of rock and roll to true legends is absolutely pathetic and idiotic."

So I ask you people, was this in response to Maurice proclaiming Lisa was a songwriter on the same level as Lennon or just a chance to toot their collective Beatle horn?

Tony

Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:28 am

Thanks Tony:-)

Elvis unexpectedly collapses onstage. A musician grabs the mike and inquires, "Is There a Doctor in the house?".

Dr John Carpenter rises to his feet exclaimin, "I am a physician! Don't worry Elvis's collapse is not as serious as the one he had in ............... and ................. and.............and.....! the latter being an exceptional demonstration of his innate ability to fall upon insects.
Before I come to Elvis's aid may I just pontifcate on The Beatles for an hour or two?
This spectacle with his Elvis Presley statues and neverending Presley propaganda is really getting to me. Not to mention Kylan and those many other Elvis fans here who know, I just can't help believing, in the Almighty John, and Lennon too".

Yes folks, really intelligent people do not misinterpret plain English, to suit their own agenda.

Kate Bush sent one of her recording awards, (Platinum disc?) to a young impersonator who sang her song, "Wuthering Heights", last night on British TV. Now a statue of Kate would be much more to my sophisticated taste. Dr John Carpenter appears to be obsessed with my statue obsession. Surely a man of his distinction could cure himself:-)
Yes, is the answer. If only he stopped playing to a certain gallery;-)

http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:33 pm

Yes Maurice..... but a statue of Kate Winslet would be easier on the eye than one of Kate Bush or Britney Spears. You had a positive John Lennon thread about his tribute to Elvis -which the Doc was amongst the first to reply to- perhaps he didn't read and learn that time.

Pretty sure it was the original Platinum Award for sales of 'Wuthering Heights' that Kate Bush sent with a personal note. The winner who did Connie Francis got a Connie Francis boxed set and a sales Award with a signed pic. Don't know what the Connie Francis Award was though.

If you're going to branch out and campaign for statues of other artists -
how about a full life cast of Britney Spears for Dr Johns back garden? It'll help scare the 'birds' away if nothing else. I'm sure you'd get a few applicants for the role of casting director with that one.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:52 pm

Hello Paul:-)

You can have the Kate Winslet bronze. I kissed Kate Bush on the cheek in the HMV Shop Manchester UK-she is a beauty! I'm of the Gina Lollobridgida, Marilyn, and Bridgett Bardot, generation don't forget:-)

The Doc is welcome to Britney.

The Ancient Greek Elvis statues are quite striking too-amazing how many of their statues of Gods look like him:-)

Aahh, Connie Frances-how we danced to her songs back then in the days of steam radio!