Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Did the Colonel leave the USA when Elvis when to Germany?

Sat May 31, 2003 4:18 pm

We've all heard how Colonel Tom Parker would not leave the USA for fear of being depoted/arrested (what was the fear?). Here's my question: Did he stay in the USA when Elvis was overseas in the Army- the entire time? Also, did Parker stay in the US when Elvis did the Canadian gig in 1957?
Would be very interested to know.

Nashnet

Sat May 31, 2003 9:18 pm

"Our" Colonel was born in The Netherlands, in the city of Breda back in 1909. He was one of nine children, by a Dutch father and French mother.
In 1927 the Colonel (Andreas van Kuyck) travels to America, according to some stories as a stowaway on a ship.
He works for a traveling circus and works as the manager for Gene Autrey. In 1944 he becomes manager at The Grand Ole Opry Traveling Tent Show. The star of the show is Eddy Arnold. He becomes Arnolds personal manager.
In 1948, during a tour in Baton Rouge Parker receives his "title" of Colonel. It's a sort of present from the governor of Louisiana. Parker isn't a real Colonel at all (as you probably knew).
Eddy Arnold becomes a big star. Even to big for The Opry. Arnold gets his own radio show. He breaks up with Parker in 1953.
After getting himself a second Colonels title in Tennessee Parker returns to Nashville, working as a booking agent. A short time after that he moves to Madison. Tom Diskin and Jim O'Brien become his personal assistents. Together with those two he begins working with Hank Snow.
Snow gets a contract with RCA Records. This is also because Parker is good friends with Steve Sholes from RCA records.
Not much later, while touring with Snow, Parker meets up with Elvis.
What follows is history...

This is just a small part of Parkers life story, and I hope it's correct.

So you see, mainly because Parker was an illegal alien in the States he didn't have the guts to go over the border. That's what the story tells, anyway. Maybe someone else has more info on this.

Bye
Sonny

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:47 pm

Sonny wrote: Together with those two he begins working with Hank Snow.
Snow gets a contract with RCA Records. This is also because Parker is good friends with Steve Sholes from RCA records.

Maybe I misunderstood this, but from what I know Hank Snow was active on RCA victor long before he met Parker.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:58 pm

I found it a strange story.

How can such an pretty famous person be an 'Illegal' citizen in the USA. Can someone explain this.

I think there are other things why he didn't go out of the states.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:14 pm

As far as I know, the Colonel never followed Elvis overseas, to West Germany. But he did accompany him to Canada.

Pictureproof
Elvis and the Colonel in Ottawa April 3, 1957.