Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Did Elvis appreciate his own legacy?

Sat May 31, 2003 3:51 pm

I was listening to my Platinum box set yesterday--the disc 3 rehersals. And at the end of I was the One, Elvis states "that's all we're going to do because I don't know the words."

I can understand towards the end, after 1,000 shows he was probably tired of Hound Dog, etc....

But this was early in his return to live performance. Why not give such a great song like I Was the One the treatment it deserves? Why not ask for a lyric sheet, or pull out your own record and learn the song? Wouldn't it have been great to have a full well done live version of the song?

I wonder if Elvis fully appreciated his own legacy, or understood just what he had accomplished?

Terry

Sat May 31, 2003 4:42 pm

In many cases, I think fans expect too much of the artist. Elvis was just playing around with some songs, so to infer that he was disinterested in any one song is reading a little too deep.

Did Elvis appreciate his own legacy? His legacy was in its infancy when he was alive, so how could he fully appreciate/understand it?

Sat May 31, 2003 5:10 pm

Elvis was just having FUN.

Try not to over analyze trivia and paint huge brush-stroke conclusions about Elvis and his life based upon snippets of his life (of which there are many in the form of photos / books / audio / etc.).

In Elvis' own words: "When it ceases to be fun, it becomes WORK." There is a lot to be said about that outlook & attitude.

Keep in mind, Elvis was not viewed in the terms that he is today ......... when he was alive. Much of his icon status has been steadily building only since his death.

N8
...just a fan....

Sat May 31, 2003 6:27 pm

I agree with N8 here. Another point worth considering is that just because a song was ran through during a rehearsal doesn’t necessarily mean that it was seriously considered for the show. I know that Elvis did perform an impromptu performance of “I Was The One” during his August ’70 Vegas season, and again I think he was just having fun here, but had he wanted the song to become a regular part of his set list at this point in his career, I’m sure he would have learned the words and rehearsed the song properly.