Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How Would You Like To Be

Sat May 31, 2003 2:22 pm

On The Import Girl Happy At The World’s Fair cd there is a take of How Would You Like To Be listed as take 2. On listening to this you can hear the producer say “How Would You Like To Be take 4”, Elvis responds with “How Would YOU Like To Be take 2 ?” then follows a complete take. Straight after the take, the producer says “I think we better make another right away”.
This same take is included on the new FTD listed as take 2, what is different is that prior to the take the producer says “How Would You Like To Be take “ …the take number is muffled out (deliberately ?)…you can not hear it, then Elvis quips “How Would YOU Like To Be take 2 ?”. After this complete take we again get the producer saying “ I think we better make another right away”. If you have doubts that these 2 takes are one & the same listen to the line after ‘how would you like to be a baby bear’ when Elvis says ‘Care” there is an infliction/fault in his voice. This happen on both of these takes but NOT on any other take of this song.
So what is the question ? well is the FTD really take 4 or is the Girl Happy At The World’s Fair cd really have take 2 on it, if the latter why does the FTD have the take NUMBER removed/muffled out when the producer calls it ?
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:56 pm

Anyone got their opinion on this ? Colin, Doc, Keith, Mike, YDKM ? How have you treated this with your sessions Mike ?

RE.How Would, You Like To Be

Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:30 pm

I think we got to take the chats between these takes with reservations
because the producers are still editing dialogue. They simply can`t
let it be. I remember FTD once edited dialogue for a Spinout-Outtake
together so that we had the most interesting things Elvis said all together.
They made it look one single dialogue.
So again, take these things with reservations.
regards
Ciscoking

Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:05 am

Hi, everybody!

I just got back home, and I haven't gotten to the "It Happened At The World's Fair" sessions yet... I will soon, though, and I'll let you know what I come up with. :)

Have a good one!

Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:40 am

You do that Mike and make it 'snappy' :wink:

After some more extensive listening & just about going insane with that drumbeat, here's my opinion.

These FTD Soundtracks are FANTASTIC, but there are quite a few errors in printing & some 'clever editing' here & there, so with this in mind, I say that How Would You Like To Be on FTD is take 4 (not take 2 as listed). I feel that the take number call has been muffled by either tape damage or delibrate action.
It is more believeable that the session would go
Take 1 ?
Take 2 ?
Take 3 'vocal false start'
Take 4 a flawless 'complete take' with producer announcing 'let's make another straight away'
Take 5 this is more than likely the incorrectly labelled take 6 on Girl Happy At The World's Fair....as it definately is a different complete take.
Take 6 MASTER

The above senario is more believeable than the following ;-

Take 1 ?
Take 2 a flawless Complete take with producer announcing 'let's make another straight away'
Take 3 vocal false start
Take 4 ?
Take 5 complete take (on Girl Happy At The World's Fair)
Take 6 MASTER.

The question 'why is the FTD version muffled at take number ?" well if it was intentional, my guess it a slight confusion over which take is which IF they don't physically have takes 1 & 2 in their vaults. The confusion maybe as a result of Elvis saying 'How Would YOU Like To Be Take 2 ?"

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:43 am

Hi, Ray!

Going by these two sources, you are correct, the FTD has take 4 and not take 2 (interesting that both the boot and the BMG would screw up in the same way). The "How Would You Like To Be... Take" part of the pre-song announcement is exactly the same as on "Girl Happy At The World's Fair's" announcement for take 4. After that, the drum beats and the tail-end of the word "two" can be heard on the FTD version - and it's definitely a splice, whereas the version on the boot probably is not. It's possible that the boot was spliced after the take 4 announcement, but not likely.

As for the alternate take on "Girl Happy At The World's Fair", I might be inclined to agree... but the band seems so off (particularly on the "rockin'" part of the song just before the end), I'm almost tempted to list this as an earlier take instead of a latter take.

I'm looking into some things that haven't panned out yet - it's a long shot, but maybe it'll help find the answer.

Hope that helps!

Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:57 pm

Ray -

Sorry to be silent on this !

Decorators are in & everything is stowed away in the loft !

I dare say Mike has this bang to rights !

Colin B

How Would You Like To Be

Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:28 pm

In my opinion the session is as follows:

Take 1 unrel.
Take 2 FTD
Take 3 fs Girl Happy At..
Take 4 Girl Happy At...
Take NA Girl Happy( could be 1 or 5). My guess 5 because of closeness to
master take.
Take 6 Master
regards
Ciscoking

Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:16 pm

Actually, that can't be correct, because the take labeled "take 2" on the FTD release and the take labeled "take 2" on "Girl Happy At The World's Fair" are the same take, and from all evidence shown, they're both take 4.

I wish it was true, though, then we'd only be missing 1 take instead of 2. :)

Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:44 am

Colin B you're forgiven :wink: Hey you got any long lost acetates in that loft of yours ? :lol:

Mike, so if you think that the incorrectly labelled take 6 on Girl Happy At The World's Fair is NOT a late take (take 5?) but an earlier take, which take are you leaning towards (take 2 ?.......oooh no not take 2 again :shock: ).......or do you got for take 1 being complete ? starting with 'Would you like to be' instead of 'HOW would you like to be'. That puts the pussy amongst the flying pigs (oops cat amongst the pigeons). :lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:31 am

Ray -

There might be, but they are hidden behind some reels of film & tape, one of which is marked:

"Pied Piper - Oct. 1955 - Lenticular version"

Can't play it because I don't have the necessary equipment.

Will sort it all out one day.

Colin B

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:36 am

Hi, Ray!

Not sure.... it'd be impossible to tell, but something in me leans toward take 1... it almost sounds like a take where they'd do it once just to get a complete run-through, no matter what the problems (and that take has quite a few of them). Kinda like they did with "Good Luck Charm" and some others. The other part of me kinda says that the bootleggers probably only had certain takes, so if they had "2,3, and 4", that would make sense. A tape reel picture would sure be nice. :D

I'm talking to some people who may have contacts in whatever places - I have a hope that they'll help shed some light. Like I said, it's a LOOONG shot, but you never know. :)

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:23 pm

Colin, throw that one out, sounds as if that would be worthless :wink:

Question: How many brains does it take to figure out a song sequence ? ...

Answer: Only one ................ one brain that works that is :lol:

I can't believe the ANSWER was right under our noses, thanks to Evan for steering me in this direction by saying 'isn't there a tape legend of How Would You Like To Be, somewhere ?' well yes there is & it's on this site....can you believe it..........arrrrrrrrrgghhhhh :lol:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/tapelegends15.html

So now that means the following

Take 1 Complete (incorrectly labelled as take 6 on Girl Happy At The World's Fair cd). The take were he sings on the opening line 'Would You Like To Be' instead of 'How Would You Like To Be'

Take 2 Complete (CORRECTLY labelled on Girl Happy At The World's Fair as take 2, AND CORRECTLY labelled as take 2 on the FTD Soundtrack).......why did FTD muffle the take number, they did it to remove 'confusion' over the producer announcing take 4, so they removed the 4.....which means Elvis was CORRECTING the producer by saying 'How Would YOU Like To Be take 2" .....aaaarrrhh yeah that removed confusion alright :wink:

Take 3 Breakdown take (or as some refer Long False Start) As featured on Girl Happy At The World's Fair.

Take 4 unreleased false start (unknown duration)

Take 5 unreleased false start (unknown duration)

Take 6 Master

Thanks Evan.....you put me out of my misery.....now I'm gonna have to rearrange my Sessions cdr......bugga :lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:44 pm

Very nice!!!!

Thank you!

That just leaves one question, though.... the "muffiled" take number called out is the tail end of the word "two", and not a faded "four"... the question then becomes "where does this "two" word go?"

Any ideas?

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:54 pm

Ray -

I think you've cracked it !

Ernst has correctly identified 'Take 2' and has muffled the engineer's incorrect 'Take 4' slate, in order to avoid confusing everyone.

[Didn't work !]

Carolyn -

"Girl Happy At The World's Fair" was an unofficial 1997 CD featuring songs from both films.

Colin b

Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:58 pm

Mike how about this explanation ;-

Producer : "still rolling, here we go"
Background " here we go"
Producer: "How Would You Like To Be take 4'
Elvis 'How Would YOU Like To Be take 2 ?'
Background voice '1' '2' '2'

BUT on the FTD release they tried to put a " 2 " vocally over the muffle...unfortunately not very successfully for us clever dicks :lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:33 pm

Hi, Ray!

Actually, that doesn't work either, because the muffled "two" is definitely the engineer's/producer's voice, not the person doing the count off. The drum beats probably belong with that "two" word also... Ernst is usually creative with his splicings, but rarely does full-out overlays. Could be one of his rare times, though, I guess..

I don't suppose anybody on the board has the Bilko label's source tape and is willing to sell or share,.... anybody? lol (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm dreamin') lol