Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Great picture of Elvis' first Cadillac Elvis bought

Sat May 31, 2003 1:57 am

This photo was taken in the summer of 1955. This was the first Cadillac Elvis bought. As we were driving down the road, Elvis suddenly pulled over at a paint store and bought a bucket of paint, and painted his name on both sides of this new Caddy. This photo was taken just after he painted his name.
Forty years later at Grand Ole Gospel time, a woman came to me and gave me this picture
that she took at the paint store in Florida.

It's taken from the Jimmy Snow website!!

Sat May 31, 2003 2:13 am

I love this image. Snow and Presley were about to participate in the Jimmie Rodgers Memorial Celebration parade that day (May 26, 1955). Another shot, mid-parade, is on page 39 of Guralnick and Jorgensen's "Day By Day." Those were the days.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:51 am

Incidentally, that's Elvis' bass player, Bill Black, on the left, getting into the front passenger seat. Scotty must've been driving!

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:59 am

It's sad how absolutely no one on this MB finds this interesting. That fellow in the above picture is the guy whose music and image <i>changed the world</i>.

Back to the jumpsuit debates.

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:03 am

when did he paint his name off (cover it??) cool pic.. never knew that

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:06 am

Doc -

It is a rare & historic pic.

The other 'parade' one you refer to is also fascinating.

The crowd pay Elvis no attention whatsoever !

That was soon to change !

Colin B

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:19 am

Hey Doc, a couple of hundred views of this post. Just coz they don't leave comments doesn't mean they aren't interested and appreciative of the post.

:roll:

Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:35 am

The Doc probably got all huffy puffy because all that time went by and no one had posted a thank you for his contribution of scholarly factoid expertise.

lol

That picture is in an Elvis '55 book that came out last year. It was taken in Meridian. Mississippi May 26, 1955.

Jon Romanovich-
This Cadillac caught fire and was destroyed right before Elvis' eyes barely 2 weeks after this picture was taken.

There's a different angle of that car (circa May '55) in the booklet that accompanies the 1986 LP "ELVIS, SCOTTY & BILL - The First Year"

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:38 am

I am familiar with the fire story but didn't know he had Elvis painted on the side. Thanks for the info.