Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Treat me nice on Close Up

Sat May 31, 2003 12:36 am

I don't understand the story 'bout Treat me nice on the new box set Close UP.

What do they mean with a first and second version. The only thing I can remember is that there's a movie and record version. Do they mean that with first and second version.

It would be great though to have a alt. take from the record version.

Sat May 31, 2003 12:57 am

Hi,

Actually, there was more than one version recorded for the movie in April and May as well as the version recorded at the September session with all the Christmas songs (the latter one known as the "record" version). While no alts are known to exist of the record version (although rumored), BMG obviously now has material from the movie sessions, and it's from the movies session that both versions (not the "record version) come from. Now, this is an educated guess, I could be wrong, but from all indications that we've gotten, I'd bet good money on it being right.

For more info, go to the "Master and Session" website at http://www.elvisrecordings.com

Or, more specifically,

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s570430.htm#57_6_track2

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s570503.htm#57_6_song7

Hope that helps!

Sat May 31, 2003 1:00 am

Thijs077 -

There were two studio attempts to nail 'Treat Me Nice'.

3rd May, 1957 - Radio Recorders No master achieved on this date.

Take 6 - T T & F [2002]

Take 10 - Essential Elvis [1986] & Jailhouse Rock [1997]

Splice of Takes 10 & 13 - The Great Performances [1990]

A guitar overdubbed on one channel gave a 'true stereo' effect to this binaural track.

Take 19 - Close Up [2003]

5th September, 1957 - Radio Recorders

Take 13 - Close Up - The 1st outtake of this ever released.

Take 15 - Master - flip of the original 'Jailhouse Rock' single.

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 1:07 am

Hi Colin!

So, you think we're getting an actual outtake from the record version? Or did you stumble upon some info..?

Just let me know! Thanks!

Sat May 31, 2003 1:17 am

Hi Mike -

I'm not privy to any 'inside' info.

I just read the press releases, looked at Steve Shole's site and came up with the above conclusions.

They state Take 13 is the '2nd version'.

You think it's from the earlier session ?

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 2:01 am

I don't think the second version of "Treat Me Nice" is from the Christmas session in September, 1957. Notice that all the songs on "Close Up" are in the order they were recorded. The second version of "Treat Me Nice" is on the disc before "Don't Leave Me Now" and "Baby I Don't Care," which were obviously recorded at the Jailhouse Rock sessions. I believe Elvis attempted "Treat Me Nice" on different days during the Jailhouse Rock sessions. Apparently, Elvis was never satisfied with the results and rerecorded the song in September. Mystery Train

Sat May 31, 2003 2:07 am

There were at least three attempts to cut "Treat Me Nice" at Radio Recorders in 1957:

30 April - unissued
03 May - issued on 1986's Essential Elvis LP/CD
05 September - issued on 1957 single B-side

Looking at the track listing for Close Up, it seems like we'll get a take from 30 April -- Treat Me Nice (version 1 Take 19) -- and another from 03 May -- Treat Me Nice (2nd version Take 13).

Note: the 03 May master is a splice of takes 10 and 13, meaning we already have part of the performance.

God bless you both!

Sat May 31, 2003 2:25 am

Doc -

Looks like you are right !

I'd 'forgotten' the April recordings !

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 2:49 am

Mike -

Just for the record, I have now amended my database as follows:

"Treat Me Nice"

30th April, 1957 - Version One

Take 19 - Close Up [2003]

3rd May, 1957 - Version Two

Take 6 - T T & F [2002]

Take 10 - Essential Elvis [1986] & Jailhouse Rock [1997]

Splice of Takes 10 & 13 - The Great Performances [1990].

On The Great Performances, a guitar overdub on one channel gives a 'true stereo' effect on this binaural track.

Take 13 - Close Up [2003]

5th September, 1957 - Version Three 'Record Version'

Take 15 - Master - Flip of original 'Jailhouse Rock' single & on various albums since.

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 3:52 am

Hi, Colin!

Cool! Looks good!

Talk to you soon!

Sat May 31, 2003 5:09 am

since they are releasing the 1st attempt of tmn i wonder if they have the 1st attempt of i want to be free.

Sat May 31, 2003 11:01 am

Hmm, interesting. Didn't know there were more sessions. Would love to hear the take from the first attempt. I hope it's with a diffrent rythem. Just like the movie version is different from the record version.

Just hoping that someday they will release an alt.take from the record version. If they have it.

Sat May 31, 2003 11:48 am

John -

The differences are as noted.

Unless I've still got it wrong !
[Don't think so, because I now have the 'Mike McCoy seal of approval' on it !]

For reasons too boring to go into here, I am not in a position to play anything just now, so can't check.

Keeping track of all the outtakes etc. is sure time-consuming !
[The scant info we get from official sources doesn't help].

Still, keeps us off the streets, I suppose.

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 12:21 pm

John -

I know the feeling !

One of the worst to sort out was 'Big Boots' !

That trite piece of throw-away film froth was recorded on two different dates, in several different tempos, some of which were spliced together !

I'm not sure I've got it right even now, but who cares ?

Well, I suppose I do !

Colin B