Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Got another question about Elvis In Concert sources

Fri May 30, 2003 10:10 pm

What is the best way to get the complete Rapid City and Omaha shows? There are a few imports and I want sound quality and completeness.

All help with this is greatly appreciated.

Fri May 30, 2003 11:40 pm

Genesim -

Good luck !

I've never seen these shows in anything but the poor quality visuals we are familiar with.

Colin B

Fri May 30, 2003 11:52 pm

Colin, I think Genesim was referring to soundboard recordings, not the video footage.
Genesim, check the import section of this site. Sorry, but I don't recall the specific titles.

Sat May 31, 2003 12:00 am

Pete -

Oh, sorry - yes he does mention sound quality.

Soundboards ?

These concerts were professionally recorded on multi-track.

No release short of this quality will satisfy me !

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 12:01 am

AS I LEAVE YOU SO (June 19, 1977 Omaha, NE) + bonus track: Rapid City Interview (June 21, 1977)
CANDID ELVIS ON CAMERA (June 19, 1977 Omaha, NE) + bonus track: You're life has just begun (homerecording

There is a CD or CDR called Live in Rapid City. (Rapid City, SD (June 21, 1977).

Good day

Sat May 31, 2003 12:18 am

Careful there John - big brother or the federalies may be watching. You may have just inadvertantly "outed" this person!

Sat May 31, 2003 12:21 am

oh,
Sorry about that!

John

Sat May 31, 2003 6:48 pm

The Rapid City show that is circulating on CDR isn’t really a soundboard, but was lifted directly from the soundtrack of the video out takes. There are two different versions circulating. One is an exact copy of the video soundtrack with a number of missing performances, whilst the other has the missing songs edited into the show sourced from BMG’s “Elvis In Concert” CD.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:09 am

The Omaha 19-6 show is one show I would suspect we will never get officially, although prof. recorded, because Elvis is stoned and confused throughout this performance. The only decent performance was "How Great Thou Art". For this reason it makes sense to own a soundboard copy of this show, as it will be the only recording of this show you will ever need. I own "As I leave you", and it's adequate.

Rapid City 21-6 however was much better; he not only looked slightly better, but especially sounded much better and the overall impression is that he was more coherent, steady and happy. It was close to the best it could have been in june 1977. He put everything he had left in him into the Rapid City show, "My Way", "Hurt", "You Gave me a Mountain" and "Unchained Melody" are evidence of this. His voice is impressive, although he is obviously tired. I can see this show getting released as a FTD title eventually. So I don't see the point in hunting down any bootleg version of this show, unless you have money to burn :) .

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:06 am

James27 wrote:The Omaha 19-6 show is one show I would suspect we will never get officially, although prof. recorded, because Elvis is stoned and confused throughout this performance.

I prefer the term 'medicated'...

Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:18 am

Let me point out the term "stoned" isn't strictly restricted to the (ab)use of so-called recreational drugs, one can appear and be described as "stoned" as a result of the intake of certain medications too. Every country has its own lingo I guess. "Stoned" is a more accurate description in this case in my opinion, because "medicated" may also mean "hyper" or "up", while Elvis certainly wasn't that at Omaha. It seemed he ran on very low batteries indeed :cry: ...

In Elvis' case it sadly was a cocktail of medications. It didn't stop him though in occasionally knocking the crowd dead in 1976-77 right up until his last concert. I will always defend him for that against critics. He hung on until the end. That's why he will always be The King and I always will be a fan.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:41 am

It doesn't matter whether you use the term stoned, medicated, pie-eyed, bolloxed or wankered, this thread actually refers to the availability or otherwise of the two shows that went to make up Elvis in Concert.

I pretty much agree with the general concensus. Omaha - no chance. Rapid City - possibly, although how they get around the stopped CC Rider I have no idea. Similar cut-and-paste job from Omaha used in Elvis in Concert, perhaps? Hopefully not as the join is fairly obvious.

For those who really want to hear Elvis with his trousers down, get the bootleg As I Leave You, which has a sound quality to match Elvis' state of mind. The other bootleg is Elvis Rocks Rapid City, which is the one referred to earlier that splices the video audio track with the missing bits taped on from the official release.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:02 am

You guys are all such loyal loving fans!

geeesh

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:07 am

hey ole buddy! i can see your love for the '76-'77 Elvis has improved! lol