Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis singing harmony with himself

Fri May 30, 2003 7:38 pm

Suspicious Minds is a great example of how good Elvis sounded singing with himself. Can anyone explain where Elvis got the idea to sing harmony with himself on some of his recordings, what those recordings are, and how it was done? I assume he recorded the main track and sang harmony to a recorded version, but I could be wrong. When did he start doing this...when did he stop? Thanks!

Eagle

His Truth Is Marching On...

Fri May 30, 2003 7:46 pm

Elvis was sing harmony back in the movie day's
listen to the double trouble soundtrack and listen to

could i fall in love elvis is singing with him self.

and even on "kissin cousin" soundtrack.

curtis simpkins

Fri May 30, 2003 7:49 pm

I would think "I'm Yours" was the first time he sang harmony with himself,and the last I think was "Miracle Of The Rosary",I could be wrong.

Fri May 30, 2003 8:06 pm

It sounds also that "Mama liked the roses" from "American rejects" is also a self duet.

Fri May 30, 2003 8:38 pm

also on it's midnight chorus and on promised land (though in promised it was omitted)

Fri May 30, 2003 9:33 pm

There's also a harmony on "Singing tree" original version. Ever heard the harmony on "Bridge over troubled water"? it's there.

"Mama Liked The Roses"

Sat May 31, 2003 12:10 am

JohanD -

Yes, on the following unofficial CD's, Elvis has overdubbed a harmony vocal from the recitation bit on to the end:

1992 - American Rejects

1994 - Raised On Gospel

1998 - Tiger Man Vol.1

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 7:18 pm

I'll have to look it up, but I thought I read that Elvis did a harmony vocal to "Your Love's Been A long Time Coming".

Tom (from Ohio)

Sat May 31, 2003 10:10 pm

Guys,

Are you fellas forgetting the song, "There Goes My Everything?" Elvis sang harmony with himself on that one as well. :D

Take Care,
Tony T.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:47 pm

Another great one example of Elvis singing with himself is in the final verse to "Do you know who I am?".

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:13 pm

Didn't Elvis and the band overdub some harmony vocals on Shake Rattle & Roll back in the 50's? Overdubbing extra vocals has been around for a very long time. Elvis didn't do it often because he preferred to record everything live but occasinally throughout his entire career this technique was employed on his recordings.

Greg

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:17 pm

Gian,

On "Do you know who i am" ,i've read somwhere it was doubled by Ronnie Millsap, maybe anyone can confirm this.

Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:28 pm

"Don't Cry Daddy" is said to be Ronnie Millsap,but I think it sounds like Elvis's own overdub.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:00 pm

I'm sure it's in my collection but at the moment I can't remember the song "Could I Fall In Love"! What's that from, a soundtrack I'm guessing?

(When I try to figure it out I get "Am I Ready" stuck in my head because of similar lyrics.)

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:27 am

Yes, Brian, it is track from Double Trouble.

harmony

Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:53 am

i believe a sang second voice along with the song indescribebly blue to...
and wasn't it the song ""his hand in mine"" to?

Marcel from Holland

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:04 pm

I don't know if you'd class it as harmony, but T-R-O-U-B-L-E seems to have some vocal overdubs by Elvis. I assume these were made during those sessions. Can anyone confirm?