Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rubberneckin' as new BMG re-mix single release

Fri May 30, 2003 3:39 pm

As posted on the FECC site, the next re-mix single is to be Rubberneckin'.
Personally, I think this is a great choice.
Again, not a song a lot of people are familiar with but a real great tune.
An exceptional re-mix (along the lines of ALLC) could definitely bring new life to this song.
Also, taken from a "peak" period in Elvis' career.

I guess it depends on how the re-mix is created and by whom.
It would be interesting to know who will be commissioned to do the work.

Is that how ALLC was done - did BMG commission JXL to do the re-mix or was is a proposal to BMG/EPE after the work was done???

Fri May 30, 2003 3:45 pm

elvis-fan -

Junkie XL did the remix of ALLC then sent it to BMG/EPE for approval.

They liked it !

The only thing they [Priscilla] objected to was the word 'Junkie'.

He agreed to shorten his credit to 'JXL'.

Well, can't have Elvis name linked to the drug scene, can we ?!

Looking forward to hearing 'Rubbernecking'; wonder who has done the remix ?

Colin B

Fri May 30, 2003 3:49 pm

Thanks Colin.

You gotta admit putting the work "Junkie" on the single CD would have been the target for a lot of "late night" sarcasm and may have even effected sales (to a certain degree).

By the way, do you think the new one is already done?

Fri May 30, 2003 4:03 pm

No comment.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sat May 31, 2003 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 30, 2003 4:09 pm

Gregory -

Its biggest handicap, of course, is not having the Nike ad this time !

Nevertheless, there is a world-wide interest in Elvis & his work post ALLC & Elv1s.

That should lead to some airplay.

Let's hope this is sufficient to generate another hit single.

Colin B

Fri May 30, 2003 4:23 pm

BMG has previously said that they wouldn't consider doing another remix of a song unless it was done right. So somebody must have already worked on this and BMG liked it. Now I just hope that they use that excellent footage from "Change Of Habit" to make an awesome video.

Rich

Fri May 30, 2003 5:07 pm

Great news. I wonder when it will hit the sheves. :D

8)

Fri May 30, 2003 7:17 pm

My question is will it be a LIVE version, or the studio one, or is there one we may not know of...

Fri May 30, 2003 7:29 pm

I was just thinking the same thing...live or studio? I do enjoy the one live version I own very much...it's certainly edgier and Elvis' voice has that rawness to it that makes it so great.

Speculation?

Eagle

His Truth Is Marching On...

Fri May 30, 2003 7:42 pm

According to a site that must remain unmentioned,they have been told by BMG that the "Rubberneckin'" story is untrue.what a shame!

My 2nd choice!

Fri May 30, 2003 8:52 pm

I would have gone for LET YOURSELF GO with the NBC vocal!
Still, Rubberneckin' was the next in line! Let's just wait and hear what really comes along!

Fri May 30, 2003 10:30 pm

I personally don't think it is a good choice. Rubber Neckin' sounds to weird...but then again you never know. I thought Erns didn't want it?

Fri May 30, 2003 11:37 pm

Genesim -

To be honest, when I first heard about their choice of song for the 2002 single [ALLC], I thought "What the.......!"

I was wrong, so I'm just waiting to see this year.

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 1:00 am

personally, I don't now why they are remixing Elvis songs.
I used to love "A Little Less Coversation (PreRemixed) "
and would listen to it alot.
but ever since they remixed it, I just skip it.

I think they are just messing up Elvis's songs,
there is no need for remixing Elvis songs!!

No one ever tried to repaint the Mona Lisa!

I say if its not Broken then don't fix it!

John

Sat May 31, 2003 1:06 am

Guitar Slinger 6120 -

But there are dozens of versions of the Mona Lisa !

I've seen her with a moustache, naked, and in umpteen different guises !

The original is still there untouched.

Same with Elvis recordings.

They can remix all they want in my book.

The results can be a bit of fun.

The originals are still there untouched.

Colin B

Sat May 31, 2003 1:16 am

Thats an honest answer Colin.

I don't claim to know what would work but ' Rubberneckin' is alright with me. My own personal choice would have been 'Let Yourself Go' from the 68 Special. If they'd remixed that and added a video track on the single it could have worked as a promotional tool for the forthcoming 68 SPecial DVD and the E2 album. Thats if the E2 album is to contain the remix single.

If the remix is a hit won't it have to be included on the E2 album?

'Let Yourself Go' is more down and dirty but Rubberneckin is pretty funky too. Can't wait to hear what they've done with it.

As been said theres no NIKE Ad to promote this one - so it'll be interesting to see how they are going to promote it. Thats assuming they are going to promote it. How many Elvis singles have charted because of BMG RCAs publicity campaigns?

Re the promotion or lack of - my generalised take on the more recent hits in the UK charts is that ; The live version of Suspicious Minds from TTWII SE was due in large part to Steve Wright playing the full video on TOTP before it had been released. ALways On MY Mind was a hit because of the BT Adverts. Whilst Twelfth of Never entered the charts high because of a newpaper story about a newly discovered recording ( which as it turned out wasn't Elvis). And we all know about ALLC and the NIKE ad playing during the World cup.

When Elvis has had single success here in the UK - wouldn't it be fair to conlcude that the promotion (and the ideas) have come from outside of the record company?

Sat May 31, 2003 1:20 am

well,
you got me there!

But I could care less for remixes.
to me they're just trying to get kids to buy cds.

"Elvis The King of Rock n' Roll"
You either get it or you don't!
and I know that everyone here gets it!

John

Sat May 31, 2003 1:24 am

Not everyone, not everyone

Sat May 31, 2003 11:06 am

Don't forget the surviving Beatles worked on John Lennons recordings of 'Free As A Bird' & 'Real Love' without his approval. I thought they did a reasonable job even though it ended up sonding more like ELO than the Beatles ( probably because it was produced by Jeff Lynne of ELO). Most artists today have thier work 'remixed'. Even Paul Mc Cartney has been known to have a 'remix' on his singles. If the single offers the original version - I don't see a problem - its not like we get Remixes too often - its not like Elvis gets in the singles charts or is marketted to the 'kids' too often either.

I think the general concesus is the classics shouldn't be messed with. But then it depends on what you call remixing -remixing can just mean balancing the sound or highlighting different instruments or voices in the mix to achieve a better overall sound. Whos against that? Personally I'd prefer to have the sound as good and contemporary sounding as possible.

Elvis talked about how the production had got better over the years so why leave him behind? Its been said that he was not totally happy with the sound on some of his original releases so I don't see a problem with standard remixing if a recording can be improoved - so long as its done well and does offer an improovement. Its not about repainting the Mona Lisa - its about lighting it. Is the Mona Lona displayed in same 'light' it was painted in? I don't think flourescent light or whatever had been invented back then.

Mixes like ALLC are different thats about adding new elements and updating a song that the public were not familiar with so that it appeals to todays record buyers.

I don't know that releasing inferior alternate takes of the classics does thier reputation much good but I've never heard any fan complain because we all like to hear different takes. Okay its Elvis arrangement but its not the take he wanted released and its not the version that got into the charts or onto the original album. Now that theres the FTD label perhaps alternate takes shouldn't replace the originals on nearly every new release. They'll come a time when it'll be harder for the public to find the original versions than the alternates.

Itss alternate takes that are replacing the originals not remixes.
Remixes are few and far between. Surely its easier for the public to distinguish between the remix of ALLC and the original than it is for them to distinguish between different takes of the same song? Everyone knows where they stand with ALLC type remixes and its not a matter of replacing the originals as has been said.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Sat May 31, 2003 7:54 pm

I’m not really a fan of remixes, but “ALLC” did capture the imagination of the younger demographic, and it wouldn’t surprise me if RCA/BMG did issue another remix to promote the “Second To None” album. What’s interesting about the success of “ALLC” is that many of the people who bought the single went on to buy the “ELV1S” album, and therefore discovered the original masters.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:59 am

I told my wife today that they were going to do a remixed version of Rubberneckin'. They may or they may not.
My question is:

What the heck does Rubberneckin' mean??????

jeff R

Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:21 am

jeffreyjames wrote:I told my wife today that they were going to do a remixed version of Rubberneckin'. They may or they may not.
My question is:

What the heck does Rubberneckin' mean??????

jeff R
"Rubberneckin" is American slang for people who
gawk,like people who slow down at a traffic accident to look.
In this song,it refers to someone "gawking" at girls(I think)

Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:21 pm

Just heard the remixed "Rubberneckin" on the John Kavanagh radio show on FM 103 here in Ireland.

John runs the "Elvis Social Club" in Dublin. He also announced his special guest for his next club meeting will be Michiel Van der Sommen. http://www.mvandersommen.com Jackm Soden said on air that he listens to John's show, his choice of song was, "A Whole lot of Shakin Goin On" by Elvis. Of course!

John met Priscilla Presley's sister after the Elvis Concert in Dublin last Wednesday night.

The single would not be my choice re-mixed or not, but it may turn out to be another hit with today's youngsters-I hope so:-)