Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

BOOK - Day By Day

Thu May 29, 2003 4:59 pm

I was just curious if someone could fill me in on what the book "Day By Day" is about. Is it a companion to "A Life In Music"?

As is written by both Peter Guralnick and Ernst, I imagine it is quite an interesting read.

Day By Day - The Definitive Record Of His Life And Music
released: 1999/10 by Ballentine

Thu May 29, 2003 5:15 pm

The book is an excellent reference source, and well worth adding to your collection. Information published in both Ernst’s book, and Peter Guralnick’s two part Presley biography is repeated here, but as the book lists every event in the Presley career in chronological order, its much easier to search through when you need to verify information, than it would be reading through chapters in a biography to find the information you need. There’s also information on record releases, and chart placings, and the book is illustrated with rare photographs, session logs, RCA bulletins, hotel bills, and hand written notes from Elvis, amongst other things. Recommended.

Thu May 29, 2003 5:45 pm

It's on sale at the local Books-A-Million for $12.99. I'll probably pick it up during my next pay-period.

Thu May 29, 2003 5:46 pm

It's a great book !!!
There have been a lot of hours working on it, and you can see that. It's strange that so much information is known about the life of Elvis... :?

Greatings,
Erik van den Berg

Thu May 29, 2003 5:57 pm

I concur with all of the above posts. The book is great and quite fun to read. Obviously, it was meticulously researched. Find it, buy it, and read it.

Tom

Thu May 29, 2003 8:12 pm

Man, it ain't cheap!
It's on amazon.ca for $52.99 CDN (about $40 USD).
I would like to get it but I think I'll look around a little.

Thu May 29, 2003 8:18 pm

It does retail for $50.00US. I luckily found a new copy (with dust jacket) offered on ebay 2 years ago. I got it for $16.

It is a great book of info and illustrations but not every single day of Elvis' life (16,000+ days) simply cannot be accounted for.

Thu May 29, 2003 8:19 pm

Elvis-fan,
Do you guys have Border's or Barnes and Noble bookstores up North?? Both of these store have had this book on the bargain shelves for about $10-15 in the past. I'd check there first if you can.

Tom

Thu May 29, 2003 11:58 pm

Erik van den Berg wrote:It's a great book !!!
There have been a lot of hours working on it, and you can see that. It's strange that so much information is known about the life of Elvis... :?

Greatings,
Erik van den Berg

Actually Eric, it doesn't really surprise me how much is known about Elvis. Take this mb for instance. There's any number of obsessed, anal-retentive types (myself included) who could probably tell you what days Elvis had corn kernals in his dump!
Just kiddin' folks :D

Fri May 30, 2003 12:25 am

It's a great book... But if you also like the 70's, then you should try to buy "The Concert Years"... then book is just as stunning...

Fri May 30, 2003 4:59 am

Oh, Pete... I can smell that from here!!! YUCK!!!

Tom,
Unfortunately, we don't have Barnes & Noble around here that I know of.
The big chain up here is "Chapters". I'll check it out. I think B&N has a website. Maybe they carry it there?