J2WB 3255
June 10 (Tue.): 22:30-01:30

Take 11
Complete
1:57

50's Box 5+"60th Anniv.Cel."/I Got Stung

It doesn't appear to be spliced.

Thu May 29, 2003 8:15 pm

You might want to check with rockinrebel or DJC on this.

Thu May 29, 2003 10:32 pm

Listening to this version on Reconsider Baby, It sounds as if they just edited and repeated the ending and faded it out. On all other releases it just ends with no fade.

Hope this helps.
:)
-GEORGE.

Thu May 29, 2003 10:59 pm

I would agree with George’s assessment. The original performance is included on the ‘50’s masters box set, whilst the version issued on “Reconsider Baby” is described as an edit in Joe Tunzi’s “Sessions II”. As the edit is longer than the complete master, the version used on “Reconsider Baby” must have been electronically extended.

Fri May 30, 2003 3:02 am

Reconsider Baby is a great blues compilation and an integral part of the rehabilitation of Elvis' artistic reputation under the mid-eighties guidance of Gregg Geller.

It was even the first US RCA LP cover to feature just Elvis' image alone -- not a single piece of type anywhere.

In putting together the album they did indeed edit a few tracks to make them more palatable. These include "Tomorrow Night," "Ain't That Loving You Baby" and "Merry Christmas Baby."

Fri May 30, 2003 3:47 am

Hi woodleyjohn,

the version on reconsider baby was indeed spliced.

take 11 is incomplete so the ending was spliced from take 1 for the reconsider baby release.

kevan budd.

update.

Fri May 30, 2003 4:43 am

after looking into aint that loving you baby from the reconsider baby release a little closer it appears the track is a complicated splice from many different takes,
starting with take 9 and ending with take 1, but it also includes parts from takes 8 and 11 and possibly others.

i hope this helps

kevan budd.

Fri May 30, 2003 3:22 pm

Kevan -

I was also puzzled by your inclusion of take 1.

Wasn't that the medium-tempo version ?

'Reconsider Baby' has the fast version.

Colin B

Fri May 30, 2003 4:52 pm

yes take 1 is the slower version and the last 4-5 seconds were used(drum finish) for the reconsider baby fast version which i felt was a clever way to end the incomplete fast version of the song....give them both a listen and let me know what you think about the take 1 ending.

kevan budd.

KEVAN

Fri May 30, 2003 9:42 pm

I agree with Kevan on this one. Even though it has not been documented anywhere, I believe that the master version of the fast "Ain't that loving you baby" was pieced together from the incomplete bits of the session. Elvis gave up on it and stuck with the slower version. There are 3 guitar solos in the one that is now slated as the master version, which appear to be from at least 2 different takes. The drum ending was cleverly "tagged" onto the end from "slow" take 1 to give it a blinding finish. Voila! We have a new version of an old song, and I remember hearing this for the first time in 1985 aat an Elvis disco and it was ACE!!!
By the way, Jerry Reed did not write this song. HIS "Ain't that loving you baby" is a completely different song.
TONY DOBB

Sat May 31, 2003 1:46 am

I suspect you meant to cite blues master <i>Jimmy</i> Reed -- author of "Baby, What You Want Me To Do," among others.