Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Elvis Presley Story

Wed May 28, 2003 4:56 am

I picked up a copy of the 13-hour documentary titled the "Elvis Presley Story." Does anyone here have this, and if so, what do you think of it?

Wed May 28, 2003 5:12 am

Yes I do - 1977 version.
Watermark first issued the Elvis Presley Story in 1971 then updated the story in 1975 and again in 1977 following Elvis' death.
It's really an incredible time capsule and Wink Martendale makes an excellent narrator.
But, for pure listening enjoyment I prefer the 3-hour radio show "The Legend Of A King" from 1981.

Great

Wed May 28, 2003 6:48 am

I think it's great. So much interesting stuff on there, especially the interviews with the early Memphis people. As far as I'm concerned this is must have for the true Elvis fans.

Wed May 28, 2003 7:14 am

This is the BEST radio narrative of Elvis' life and career Ive ever heard.
Of course it does not include much of the darker side of our man,
which is as it should be.What concerns us now is his music,
live performances and movies.You got a great one!

Wed May 28, 2003 5:57 pm

So far I am really digging it, especially the early stuff with Memphis/Tupelo friends and such, plus the Blackwood Brothers/Statesmen material is great, too. Someday I will need to take a Loooooong ride and really dive into this set!

Wed May 28, 2003 7:46 pm

I'm in the process of transferring the show to digital format to put onto CD.
Man it's taking a while... only 8 more LP's to go!!!

Does anyone know of The CD version of this show being available?
I'm just curious to know if taken from the LP's.

Wed May 28, 2003 8:00 pm

I have this set too!!

Actually all version's........

Awesome, even to this day it holds up to the test of time.........

By the way there was a fourth version. (Not Officially)

I came across an extended version a number of years ago which had the series running over 18 hours.........total of 15 CD's.

To my knowledge the 71' version had been available on cassette well over 25 years ago and the 75' and 77' version's have been available on CDR for a number of years as well as the extended version, an by looking at the copy right year for the extended version its 98-2000

This extended version ends in 97' at the Elvis in Concert performance of August 16th with the Elvis & Lisa Marie Duet.

Overall more songs were added to back up some of the interviews for the extended version, an a few unreleased tibits were added as bonuses, (however since released the unreleased audio has shown up else where), Nevertheless the serious is worth having in One's collection as well.......

PEP 8)