Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri May 30, 2003 3:41 pm

Come on Jerry, it's only money!!! LOL!!!

Close Up

Fri May 30, 2003 7:32 pm

I think "Close Up" is a better set than "Today, Tomorrow & Forever" -- a risky thing to say since "Close Up" hasn't even been released yet. I base my opinion on the fact that disc 1 of "Close Up" is organized better than disc 1 of "Today, Tomorrow & Forever," which never worked in my opinion with its mix of Sun, live '50s songs, acetates and outtakes. Disc 1 on "Close Up" is all binaural stereo, mostly "Jailhouse Rock" material and cohesive. Disc 2 on "Close Up" is strictly movie outakes from Elvis' first four post-army movies (heavily bootlegged, but mostly good songs). The movie songs on "Today, Tomorrow & Forever" included "My Desert Serenade," and "The Love Machine," etc. -- hardly Elvis' best movie work. Disc 3 of "Close Up" is strictly '60s Nashville, which is Elvis' best and most artistic work, in my opinion! I prefer the complete '72 concert on "Close Up" to the mixed "live"/"studio" stuff that was on disc 4 of "Today, Tomorrow & Forever." Don't get me wrong, I like "Today, Tomorrow & Forever" -- I just think "Close Up" is better!

Mystery Train

Close Uo--Mystrey Train

Sat May 31, 2003 11:32 pm

Mystrey Train.
Close Up--Disc One: Binaural Versions-- No selling point for me since I don't care for binaural.

Disc Two: Movie Gems--Just nothing on here that I feel I must have. Not one of those "just got to have everything" people.

Disc Three: Nashville--see movie gems.

Disc Four: San Antonio--I would have preferred 70s outtakes since we'll get on "On Tour" box set eventually and they should have saved this concert for that or the obligatory FTD release that is sure to follow, but the "powers to be" felt otherwise and this is the only disc that interests me.

I stand by my original post. This box set is nothing more than 4 FTDs strung together to make box set and I won't buy it until the price goes "Way Down".

Sat May 31, 2003 11:40 pm

Sorry about the mutiple posts. My computer went nuts.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:36 am

So, very unclear at this moment.

Is Disc 1 Binaural or is it Stereo? I prefer Stereo, cause I don't like it that Elvis' voice is coming out of 1 speaker. I want his voice from the 2 speakers.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:49 am

Its posts like Jerry's that is the equivalent of nails scratching down a chalk board from one end to another... lol

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:54 am

And Jerry as an aside, everything BMG releases on the main label is gonna be like FTD material because whats left?????????? hell what do u people want? who cares what stinkin label its released under. and yes im sure there will be a collection of On Tour material one day but guess what Jerry? Elvis played more places than San Antonio during the tour. im sure i dont have to point that out do i? so im sure there will be another concert thats better than San Antone that will be on the On Tour set. holy moley people. u get on my last nerve. lol

Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:38 pm

Thijs077,
My guess is the 50's stuff is binaural- Elvis in one channel band in another. RCA/BMG calls this stereo.

I don't mean to start a discussion on stereo vs. binaural, but I think RCA thinks that as long as you have 2 channels- it's stereo.

RKS

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:35 pm

What I want, Kylan, Is a close Up box set w/ some '70s outtakes on it.
That's the main reason I bought Platinum and T T & F. As for San Antonio,
I have nothing against this concert as opposed to any other. I'm just pissed that disc four is a concert rather than '70s outtakes.

Regards,

Jerry

Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:52 pm

Thijs077 wrote:So, very unclear at this moment.

Is Disc 1 Binaural or is it Stereo? I prefer Stereo, cause I don't like it that Elvis' voice is coming out of 1 speaker. I want his voice from the 2 speakers.

If you want to hear Elvis from 2 speakers, just push the mono button on your amplifier. It will not be stereo, but it wasn't recorded in stereo. So it's your only way to hear Elvis from both speakers if you want to listen to this CD.

By the way these recordings are not binaural either. It's just two tracks. In Norway we have a great word for the true binaural term, KUNSTHODEOPPTAK. To transfer directly to english it would sound something like, "Imaginary head recording", and it's really fantastic to listen to using headphones. It makes the Yamaha or Pioneer surround sets sound like sh*t. Just hook up your Stax and I will promise you a listening experience you will never forget.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:03 pm

Yeah, I thought about the mono button to. But man they don't put those buttons on the receivers anymore. So that don't work for me.

So, what is the storie about 'Love Me Tender', 'Poor boy' and 'We're gonna move'. Those are true stereo.

Did they remixed them. If yes, why don't they do that with the new tracks.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:59 pm

“TT&F” was a good set, but Ernst has already stated that it was a struggle to compile yet another career overview using almost exclusively previously un-issued material. “Close Up” takes a different approach, but there’s still enough quality material included on the set to make it a worthwhile addition to any Presley collection. Of course there are similarities between the concepts of the four discs included on “Close Up” and the albums released by the FTD label, but this is unavoidable to some extent. FTD have released a vast amount of out takes over a very short time period, and many of the performances issued by FTD are just as strong as those that have been used on commercially released collections. There was a time when most fans were complaining because the supply of out takes from RCA was almost non-existent, and now most of us are struggling to keep our collections up to date due the constant supply of new material from RCA/BMG and FTD. Nothing to complain about really.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:51 pm

Thijs077 wrote:Yeah, I thought about the mono button to. But man they don't put those buttons on the receivers anymore. So that don't work for me.

So, what is the storie about 'Love Me Tender', 'Poor boy' and 'We're gonna move'. Those are true stereo.

Did they remixed them. If yes, why don't they do that with the new tracks.

I don't think "Love Me Tender" was recorded to be presented in stereo in mind at all.

Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:32 pm

What has the Nashville A-team done so bad to deserve being called "infamous?" :?:

Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:12 am

Infamous- I noticed that too!

My Wester's Ninth New College Dictionary gives 3 meanings for "infamous"

1 Having a reputation of the worst kind.
2 Causing or bringing infamy
3 Convicted of an offence bringing infamy.

And Infamy means - evil reputation brought about by something grossly criminal, shocking, or brutal.

Perhaps the A team should sue RCA/BMG for slander - one way for Scotty to get some money back :D

They really meant renowned - I hope :!:

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:17 pm

Jerry Nodak -
I'd just like to point out to you that if the material on Close Up was released as 4 separate FTD's you'd pay $100-$120 total. Close Up will probably retail for $65-$70, so you're actually getting a deal!

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:27 pm

Jarle -

We have a similar term in English: "Dummy Head Stereo".

All this has been discussed on here many times.

I think it has been established that Ernst/Roger/BMG call these Elvis recordings "binaural" because they were recorded on RCA's binaural machine.

They are not 'true binaural' [or 'dummy head stereo'] which is something quite different !

As there are two channels, with a different sound coming from each, they can [technically] be called 'stereo'.

Colin B

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:28 pm

I have respect for Jerry's opinion, I agree more 70's material should be released...BUT I am thankful for everything that I get, and I will buy it all!!

Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:28 am

I am looking forward to everything on the "Close Up" set, I am also looking forward to the day when they release 70's out takes etc.

:twisted:

Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:53 am

To be politically correct these "binaurals" were reorded on a two track Ampex located at RADIO RECORDERS and not at RCA

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:49 am

well...Jerry's pissed about disc 4 on "Close Up" not containing more 70's outtakes? if i recall we only got 2 "Essential Elvis" vol. 4 and 5 cd's, the 70's box, 6363 Sunset (FTD), the great "PLATINUM" box (disc 4), "Today, Tommorrow and Forever" box, again, the whole disc 4 and the FTD "Nashville Marathon! and let's not forget, last but not least, sumthin' called "JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS"!!! has RCA not complied enuff for our requests for 70's studio outtakes? they've pretty much covered the whole spectrum and have released most outtakes on the best songs from this period, yet Jerry's still not satisfied? what do u want "Girl of Mine" take 8? more alternates on "Life"? i think it's about time we are FINALLY! being treated to a "ON TOUR" show in RCA quality. to tell u the truth, it's probably goin' to be the biggest and only incentive to buy this new box and RCA knows it....

Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:29 pm

Any idea if Dennis Ferrante did the mixing job on the San Antonio show?
Is he still employed by BMG? I can't remember the last work he did on Elvis material.

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:12 pm

When I get the Close Up box the first disc I'll play will be cd #4! cd #3 will be the second, and cd #2 third. I'll save the bi-naural stuff for last since these are largly the master versions (by the way, should'nt we now refer to the mono masters as hetero-naural?).