Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

did elvis meet the beatles in the 70`s ?

Tue May 27, 2003 12:10 am

did the no.1 king of the universe meet any of the moptops in the 70`s in the states , at any one of elvis homes or backstage or maybe they were in the audiance at one of elvis concerts { or backstage cleaning his bluestage shoes or polishing the kings crown } :lol: 8)

Tue May 27, 2003 12:21 am

It is well documented that John Lennon attended an MSG show.

Tue May 27, 2003 1:41 am

I know that also george harrison met him backstage at one of his concerts, the story is well documented on the beatles anthology dvd.

Javier from buenos aires, Argentina

Tue May 27, 2003 9:40 pm

In the Beatles Anthology dvd, Paul McCartney stated that he never met Elvis again after the 1965 meeting. John Lennon was at the MSG show (Lennon played MSG himself in 72 and did Hound Dog during which he shouts, "Elvis, I love ya'!"

George Harrison recalled seeing Elvis in NYC in 72 (it's in the Beatles Anthology) and said that he had long hair and was in denimns and Elvis came around the corner all tanned in the white suit and looking like a god. He was also somewhat critical, saying that he wanted to tell Elvis to get rid of the orchestra and female singers and to get back to the old rock and roll stuff. (Which is interesting as Harrison would have been the first to get ticked off if people asked him to play Beatles songs during that part of his solo career).

Ringo Starr is interviewed in the current Goldmine. He said that he went to Vegas to promote his LP Sentimental Journey and saw Elvis there (this would have been in early 1970). He makes many positive references to Elvis on his new CD Ringorama. In the Anthology, Ringo expressed hurt over Elvis' criticism of the Beatles to Nixon.

Tue May 27, 2003 10:03 pm

This to me shows that they misundertand Elvis. Though they wouldn't be the first. I don't know that it has ever been proven that Elvis said anything to Nixon to that order. I say so what if he did. Elvis was a fan of the music, NOT what the Beatles stood for. Elvis wasn't exactly all there at that time anyway. Drugs make people do weird things. That said, I think Elvis was telling Nixon what he thought he wanted to hear.

Harrisons comments

Wed May 28, 2003 7:29 am

What so many people seem to forget about Elvis is that he wasnt from
the generation that grew up on rock-n-roll.When he was growing up the lush big bands were popular.So the backdrop for his childhood was somewhat different than the Beatles.Yet so many wish to think
that he should have followed the Beatles lead.
But his musical universe was not the same.And the Beatles themselves
were not imune to using orchestras.

Wed May 28, 2003 7:56 pm

Elvis did not have a drug problem in 1970 and was not stoned when he visited Nixon. he said what he said to kiss Nixon's backside and get the badge he wanted. On the hand Elvis did not like music that promoted drug use or anti war songs and stuff like that.

Wed May 28, 2003 11:58 pm

Elvis did not have a drug problem in 1970

What planet are you from?

Thu May 29, 2003 12:09 am

Doc John,
Out of curiosity, from where do you get your information suggesting the opposite of what Khmm stated?
Steve

Thu May 29, 2003 12:35 am

Khmm didn't say Elvis was clean as a whistle in 1970, he said he didn't have a drug problem.

I would go along with that.

Colin B

Thu May 29, 2003 12:37 am

There are several credible books that articulate Elvis' health problems -- all relate his misuse of prescription drugs.

Additionally, I've had personal conversations with several people who were close to Presley during that time.

God bless!

Thu May 29, 2003 12:49 am

Let's put it this way:

In 1970, Elvis' drug use was not so extreme as to cause a problem with -

1] His physical appearance.

2] His studio or stage performances.

Sadly, this was not to be the case in some of the later years.

Colin B

Thu May 29, 2003 12:57 am

Yeah Colin, I can see a little uppedy, up, up and away prior to a show, but can't see any reason he'd use any of the "Make the World go Away" stuff that came after the divorce and boredom of being Elvis the machine instead of Elvis the man.
I dunno, wasn't there, can't say...I like it that way.
-Thanks for the input Doc.
Steve

Thu May 29, 2003 1:06 am

Sadly, you are mistaken -- it even affected 1970 stage performances. Read and learn!

Rick Rennie attended and recorded several August 1970 gigs, and at one he noticed our man behaving oddly:

Another favorite story of mine is from the August 19, 1970 DS and why I felt the need to edit it. Elvis seemed very unusual that evening. A lady at my table even made comments that she thought he seemed drunk. Of course, I had no such thoughts at that time, but in retrospect, he did seem influenced by something. It was during his rendition of "Love Me Tender" that he got out of control and went on much too long with the socializing part of it.

The audience became bored with it and at first began clapping in unison for him, to get on with the show. But he ignored them and just continued with what he was doing. Then, the audience began to "boo" him. I did not want my friends to hear this, because some of them already thought I was crazy liking him so much, so I edited out the "Love Me Tender" section and I have since misplaced the original. Even though he was stoned on something, he went on to perform a great show, although you can hear him fall on his face and mess up "Polk Salad Annie" in this show. Still, at that time, I never suspected anything. I didn't even question how he was behaving.

It only denigrates the memory of Elvis when we try to ignore the truth about his drug abuse.

God bless you, Colin!

Thu May 29, 2003 1:47 am

Of course there might have been the odd show...................

But I came to my conclusion by looking at Elvis' output in 1970:

1] The marathon studio sessions from June, 1970, which produced the 'Elvis Country' album etc. with many fine performances.

2] The Las Vegas season which gave us all the great songs which we witnessed him perform in 'TTWII'.

Colin B

[Blessing received]

Thu May 29, 2003 2:15 am

I don't know what the truth is regards Lennon seeing Elvis at MSG but John Lennon himself said in a Playboy interview that he never saw Elvis live -even though he had the chance. He reasoned that he didn't want to go in case it spoilt the illusion of Elvis and the Sun Sessions. Larry Geller said that Lennon had Elvis hotline phone number in the 70's and that the two were in touch about the threat of Lennons deportation from the states. In his book 'If I Can Dream' Geller says that John asked for Elvis help.

The FBI held Lennons conviction for marajuana against him and Elvis was supposed to have advised Lennon to make an anti drugs statement.

George Harrison met Elvis as has been mentioned.

Ringo Starr is also said to have met Elvis. In a biography on the Drummer its claimed that in 1970 Ringo tried to involve Elvis in a production featuring Himself, Peter Sellers and Raquel Welch. The book says he negotiated with Elvis about this rather than the Colonel and the Colonel had tied Elvis up with other commitments.

Paul Mc Cartney never met Elvis in the 70's as far as anyone knows.

And of course the Beatles were whiter than white and didn't take Drugs or make any bad recordings

Thu May 29, 2003 2:28 am

And anyone who thinks Elvis version of Hey Jude is bad should listen to Lennons version of Hound Dog at the MSG with his wife howling like a Dog.
Its nice that he paid tribute to Elvis but it has to be the worst version of the song- ever!

Thu May 29, 2003 5:57 am

Have to agree with you on that Paul. No one can do "Hound Dog" like our man Elvis. Johns version wasn't very good.

:mrgreen:

Thu May 29, 2003 6:38 pm

That story about John singing "Hound Dog" at MSG is very interesting. I've been tempted many times to pick up a copy of that concert where he performs this, but I haven't gone through with it yet. Is Lennon's version that bad? I can imagine it would be if Yukko is wailing along on it like a dog. (Really? Like a dog???) Ewww...

Too bad, I can honestly imagine that John, as much as he admired Elvis, wouldn't have performed the song at all if he meant to be disrespectful.

Thu May 29, 2003 7:50 pm

People who were around Elvis have said he did not have a drug problem in 1970. Everyone from Marty Lacker to Priscilla, to Sonny West and Jerry Schilling. I never said he was clean. Everyone knows he was taking uppers for years. But it was not a problem in 1970. Those are the facts. And Sonny West and Jerry Schilling have said Elvis was straight when he visited Nixon. That visit and anything he said had nothing to do with drugs.

Thu May 29, 2003 7:57 pm

I think John used Yoko Ono right on one song. The XMAS song. It was well done and her voice fit. That shows what a great composer John Lennon was. I think John knew how bad Yoko Ono was, but didn't care. He did love her. How she felt is another story. I think the women is a freak and not very smart. I would much rather have Cilla. At least she stayed off the albums!!

Fri May 30, 2003 2:52 am

I think the women is a freak and not very smart.

Evidently, she's in good company.

Fri May 30, 2003 4:20 am

Hi!

Yoko Ono is mixed out in this performace on the Parlophone 1986 LP "Live In New York City". (The same mix is on the 1990 4 CD-box set "LENNON").

This is my first post in the new forum by the way...

Best regards
/Jonathan Blake

Fri May 30, 2003 6:48 am

genesim wrote:At least she stayed off the albums!!

Yes that was good.