Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wed May 28, 2003 12:16 am

Now that you mention it I started looking for this USS Arizona Memorial souvenit book I have. It was published in 1966 and sold at the site. My grandparents bought it when they went to Hawaii long ago.

Anyway, in the book it mentions Elvis by name that he had done a concert to raise the construction money.

I don't know if the souvenir books have been changed since the 60s and if Elvis is still named in the ones currently sold in Hawaii.

(When I find where I put the book, I'll reprint verbatim on this mb what it says about Elvis)

Wed May 28, 2003 12:21 am

Actually, I think that's been fixed - it's not the same one that was there when Elvis was alive, but at least he's being recognized now.

alan freed shows

Wed May 28, 2003 3:51 am

the alan freed show was broadcast on cbs radio sponsored by camel cigarettes. it was also carried on the american armed forces radio service
in an edit-ed form, removing mentions of the sponsor.

most of the releases from these shows have been made from 16 inch
a.f.r.s. transcriptions. the quality varies from very good to near excellent.

they are well worth having for the priceless performances of the pioneers
of rock and roll in their prime.

my advise? find'em, buy'em, enjoy'em !

Fri May 30, 2003 6:00 pm

Someone posted asking if any of the Canadian shows had been recorded?

I actually have an album I picked up in the mid '80's with several cuts that indicate they were taken from the shows in Canada in '57. I can't recall the name and haven't listened to it in years, but I have it at home. I'll check when I get there and let you know for sure what I've got.

Fri May 30, 2003 10:25 pm

I prefer full concerts. But if that is all there is...sigh.

Fri May 30, 2003 10:31 pm

Genesim,

As far as I know, the only full concerts from the 50's are items you probably have, unless a private collector is sitting on something. Here are all the full shows I know of:

1955 Eagles Hall
1956 Vegas
1956 Little Rock
1956 Dairy Show #1

I hope some more full shows surface some day.

Greg

Fri May 30, 2003 10:35 pm

Yep I got them. Damn too bad.