Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD of Nashville '71 soon?

Mon May 26, 2003 5:59 pm

I was browsing through David Petrelle's "Solid Gold Elvis" book and realized there is a lot of interesting, unreleased gems from the 1971 sessions.

In May & June of 1971, Elvis had to record a Christmas album(Wonderful World of Christmas), Gospel (He Touched Me) and secular album(never released - parts of which ended up on "Now" and "Fool")

Let's discuss the 16 or so secular tracks that would be a great FTD release.
First off, we would finally be able to get the long versions of "The First Time Ever I saw your Face", "I'm Leavin" and "It's Only Love". Previously, they only appeared on the cassette version of "Elvis Aron Presley". We could get the duets of "The first time Ever I Saw Your Face" with Ginger Holladay and Temple Riser. There were also alternate takes of the studio version of "My Way". We could get the real long version of the jam "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright". Best of all, we could get undubbed alternate versions of " We Can Make The Morning", "Love Me, Love the Life I Lead", "Until It's Time for you to Go", "Fools Rush In", "That's What You Get For Lovin' Me", "Padre", "Miracle of the Rosary" and "Put Your Hand in the Hand". Also alternates of the three "piano" songs - "It's Still Here", "I Will Be True" and "I'll take you home again, Kathleen". The overdubbing on most of these recordings were terrible.

Amazingly, very little of these sessions have been released or even bootlegged. Sadly, this is the last signifigant area of Elvis studio recording that are still unreleased.

Mon May 26, 2003 6:08 pm

This could be one of the best FTD's ever! I think these recordings are very underrated and overlooked. They deserve our attention.

What is the "Solid Gold Elvis" book about?

I've never heard of it.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon May 26, 2003 6:17 pm

One problem maybe slowing the release of the project is that the session tapes for some of the songs you mentioned (i.e., We can make the morning, My Way) are missing. At least, this was the state of the tapes as Joe Tunzi stated in Sessions II in 1996. I asssume that some tapes have probably been recovered, but it is unclear at this time.

Certainly, I hope the release will contain the 11:36 minute version of Don't Think Twice. Or if this takes up too much space on this disc, what if they included the track on a special single CD released with the '71 disc? This was done a while back for the very first Bruce Springsteen bootleg CD released on the Great Dane Label - a very nice and classy touch.

Mike C

Mon May 26, 2003 6:22 pm

Thanks for the post Pat!

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of most of the material from the May and June '71 Studio B sessions.
I am sure there are a lot of fans who are craving this material as you are and I do agree there is some good material here.
I would rather see the Christmas outtakes on a complete Christmas CD collection instead of having it with an FTD studio release (much of which has already been released).
Same for the gospel outttakes. I do enjoy many of the gospel numbers from that session
- Reach Out To Jesus, He Touched Me, Lead Me, Guide Me.

I just don't like some of the other material chosen for these two sessions.
Songs like "It's Still Here", "I Will Be True" and "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" are depressing (IMO).
I would not look forward to hearing a longer version of "Don't Think Twice, It's Allright"
- I have the long version on the LP set "Behind Closed Doors" and as Ernst once put it "making it longer doesn't make it better".

I know most fans will probably disagree with me on this.
I guess I'd say I'd probably buy an FTD release from this session and you are right, it does fit into the FTD type framework.
I just don't listen much to "Elvis Now" and Elvis "Fool"
Just my two cents.

Mon May 26, 2003 6:30 pm

patpetersen -

Surely the longer versions that appeared on the 'Elvis Aron Presley' cassette release were just electronically edited to increase their playing times.

Not true original masters.

Colin B

Mon May 26, 2003 7:26 pm

i would also love alternate takes from these sessions.
the unedited jam of don't think twice needs to be released.
there is possibily so much maybe they could make this a 3 cd vols.
vol 1 christmas
vol2 gospel
vol 3 seculiar

Mon May 26, 2003 7:32 pm

The secular 1971 material does deserve to be issued on an album in it’s own right. Personally I love the folk covers, and the three songs Elvis recorded at the piano on May 19. For those that are interested I have written about the secular recordings from these sessions on my website:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/rockinrebel/sev11.htm

On the subject of the extended tracks from the cassette release of “Elvis Aron Presley”, I would agree with Colin that these were not longer versions of the original masters, and were simply electronically edited to make them appear longer.

Mon May 26, 2003 7:51 pm

Thank you rockinrebel.

Even though these aren't my favorites recordings, a very insightful and interesting write-up...
as we have now come to expect from you.

Mon May 26, 2003 8:05 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Thank you rockinrebel.

Even though these aren't my favorites recordings, a very insightful and interesting write-up...
as we have now come to expect from you.

Thanks for the kind words. I think one of the reasons some fans don’t rate this material is because as it was originally issued over a number of albums and singles, it was never heard in its proper context. If you actually compile all the secular songs in chronological order on a CDR it makes for an entertaining disc. Of course there were some weak songs cut during the sessions, but I think the material sounds better this way, than it did mixed together with material from other sessions on albums like “Now” and “Elvis”.

Mon May 26, 2003 8:55 pm

ColinB & RockinRebel:

I did not know that the 3 "long versions" on EAP cassette were electonically extended, Thanks for the info

Keith Richards Jr.:

Solid Gold Elvis was an exhaustive book created by David Petrelle that listed every CD,LP,EP & 45 (including various artists) released in the USA. It also lists every recording session with every(known) take of every studio recording Elvis made. A staggering book!!. I found out about it through Paul Dowling's WorldWide Elvis Web site a few years ago

Great responses to my post so far

Thank You all!

Pat

Mon May 26, 2003 9:07 pm

I have always wanted an FTD of Nashville 71! We Can Make The Morning and It's Only Love are two of my favorite Elvis songs ever!!! I also like Love Me, Love The Life I Lead, This is a must!!

Tue May 27, 2003 9:22 pm

"3 long versions" "electronically extended." D#*n! For a moment I thought I was reading my junk mail!

Tue May 27, 2003 9:30 pm

On a more serious note, I too think the secular 71 masters deserve some type of release. My preference would be a mainstream BMG release along the same lines as The Lost Album and Tommorrow Is A Long Time, but at this point in time I don't think it will happen.

Tue May 27, 2003 9:33 pm

Hi Pete!

Do you think it should include the Christmas and Gospels cuts?

Tue May 27, 2003 10:11 pm

Hi Elvis fan -
No, I think it should focus soley on the secular tunes. The 71 Christmas and gospel material has been packaged and re-packaged a few times already to the point where it's becoming redundant. However, the secular tunes are another story. With Elvis Now and Elvis (Fool) deleted for some time now, and the 70's box only including what Ernst and Roger considered to be the best tracks, a number of songs are currently commercially unavailable including some rather decent performances and fan favorites: Help Me Make It Through The Night; Early Morning Rain; Fools Rush In. And although I'm aware that Love Me, Love The Life I Lead is considered one of Elvis' lesser 70's studio tracks, if Ernst & Roger have no qualms about releasing the likes of The Love Machine into the mass market (as is apparent from it's inclusion on T,T&F) then they should have no problem with LM,LTLIL.

Tue May 27, 2003 10:23 pm

So how much was Don't Think Twice extended electronically? Does the import of Don't Think Twice not have the Complete version? Or at least as complete as it can be?

Tue May 27, 2003 10:47 pm

From the Imports section of this site:

Another Madison release, and this time they supply us the January 29th, 1973 show. It comes again in a beautiful 8 page booklet, with great pictures and liner notes. The show itself is pretty good, including Sweet Carolina, that is very rare for 1973. Some of the other highlights are "Steamroller blues" (with james burton guitarworks just being outstanding), What now my love" and a bluesy version of Hound Dog. The bonus song is a longer (edited) version of "Don't think twice" and last over 14 minutes.

I actually believe there is more (if you can believe it) - the sound quality on this import is not that good. It sounds like an acetate but I'm not sure.

Wed May 28, 2003 3:20 am

The version found on the Don't Think Twice Import is electronically edited to run 16 minutes. It is awful sounding.
According to Ernst, the track runs 11:36 minutes (A Life in Music).
Our Memories of Elvis Vol. 2 contains an 8 minute version.
The longest version to date (sounding good) can be found on the old vinyl import Behind Closed Doors. It runs about 10 minutes.

Mike C

Wed May 28, 2003 10:35 am

The 8 minute version on "Our Memories of Elvis" Vol. 2 was enough for me. Even at that truncated length it was repetitve to the point of boredom
(imo). As Enrst has stated, "Making it longer doesn't make it better".
I'm sure Ernst will get around to releasing the whole thing eventually, but it certainly isn't near the top of my "must have" list.

Wed May 28, 2003 12:44 pm

I don't know, "Don't Think Twice" is one of the best songs for driving to and from work I can think of. Travelling to my new job takes about ten minutes, so this works for me.

(Not the most inciteful opinion on a release but I'm working on a paper for a conference in June. I'll worry about the important things in life when I get this finished! :oops: )

Wed May 28, 2003 9:42 pm

It would be great to have a FTD release with this material.

And yes, I do want the complete unedited version of Don't think twice. I love the song. The 8 minute version is so short.

Wed May 28, 2003 10:58 pm

Seeing that it's unlikely there will be a mainstream/BMG release of the secular masters, then an extra FTD release will do the job. And the outtakes would make for a fine regular FTD release.

Thu May 29, 2003 12:28 am

If it exists, we need an outtake of "Early Morning Rain" so bad it not even funny..."

71 would really make a great FTD release!

Thu May 29, 2003 5:31 am

Yes it would be great to have a release of this material, and the full version of "Don't Think Twice" has to be made available for the Elvis collector. :D

:mrgreen:

Thu May 29, 2003 5:57 am

Here's what they could possibly pull from:

1. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (duet versions or outtake)
2. Early Morning Rain (if an outtake exists)
3. (That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me
4. Padre
5. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (full)
6. Help Me Make It Through The Night
7. Until It's Time For You To Go
8. Fools Rush In
9. It's Still Here
10.I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen
11.I Will Be True
12.I'm Leavin'
13.We Can Make The Morning
14.It's Only Love
15.Love Me, Love The Life I Lead
16.My Way

These are all the songs that aren't either Gospel or Christmas.. maybe there are more jams out there, too.. In the cases where there are no available outtakes, they could include the undubbed masters with any available false starts and pre-take chat.

This sounds like a great CD to me. :)