Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Success of "A Little Less Conversation"

Mon May 26, 2003 3:42 pm

I was just curious to know people's opinion on the success of ALLC.

It seems to me that the success of this re-mix single was not solely due to the fact that this was Elvis,
but because it was actually a great tune which fit into the mainstream TOP 40 "music of today".
If this is the case, would it not make sense for EPE to continue along this same "vein of success" or was this just a "one hit wonder"?
(sorry for all the cliche's)

Just curious to know your thoughts.

Mon May 26, 2003 3:51 pm

elvis-fan -

It was a great idea, and a great record !

It would be a crying shame not to follow it up.

My understanding is that there will be another remix single along with the '2nd to None' CD later this year.

I hope they make a better video this time.

Colin B

Mon May 26, 2003 4:08 pm

No doubt part of the massive success also revolved around the very prominent World Cup campaign.

The phenomenon that the ALLC remix became was a one off and is best left that way - to try and replicate this success again (particularly so soon) would I suspect disappoint many if it came and went with a wimper.

As for the ALLC video, that had to be truly one of the most tacky, cringeworthy attempts to be funky and missing by a mile promotional videos they could have come up with - it was terrible !

Mon May 26, 2003 4:10 pm

The Nike commercial was certainly a factor in the song’s success. This generated lots of extra publicity, and undoubtedly influenced radio stations to add the song to their playlists. The choice of song was a good one, as “ALLC” didn’t sound dated, and the fast paced lyrics were not too dissimilar from modern rap music. Whilst JXL’s remix may have made the song more appealing to non fans and/or the younger demographic, the fact that he only had a mono acetate to work with, and all the original elements of the song were maintained was also important in my opinion, as the track still sounded like an Elvis song, rather than a dance track that just happened to sample Elvis’ voice.

It seems there will be another remix to promote “Second To None”, and whilst I’m not a fan of these remixes personally, if they continue to bring a new audience to Elvis’ music, and help to sell the “Second To None” collection, as was the case with “ALLC” and “Elv1s”, it’s understandable that BMG think that remix idea is worth repeating. I would expect radio stations to pick up on the new remix, as it will be considered the follow up to “ALLC”, and you would expect that the wider public would be interested in hearing it, but whether it can be quite as successful as “ALLC” without the benefit of a huge advertising campaign remains to be seen.

Re: Success of "A Little Less Conversation"

Mon May 26, 2003 4:23 pm

ALT+CTRL+DEL
Last edited by vinyljunkie on Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 26, 2003 4:49 pm

Do you guys think that the success of ALLC also has to do with the fact that this song was somewhat "unknown" to the casual fan?

Mon May 26, 2003 5:28 pm

elvis-fan -

Yes, the comparative 'obscurity' of ALLC made it seem more like a 'new' song than a retread of something old.

That's why they need to select the 2nd remix with some care.

Familiar songs like 'Burning Love' or 'Jailhouse Rock' wouldn't come over in quite the same way !

This has been expressed on here many times, and if Ernst/Roger read this messageboard I'm sure they are by now aware of the list of suggested titles made by fans.

We shall see.

Colin B

Mon May 26, 2003 6:59 pm

I agree, without a doubt a remix would need to be an 'unheard' track. Perhaps RCA will muster the courage to release an uncommon Elvis track. If it wasn't for JXL and the remix, they wouldn't have even thought about releasing a song that was unheard of by the public.

Would it work releasing an Elvis song <b>without</b> the remixing? Perhaps an unknown song could put Elvis at the top of the charts. 'It's Only Love' was number three in 1980 in the UK - or do the public only crave the remix sound?

Whatever track they choose, it won't work without promotion. Without the publicity of Nike, what are the chances of BMG investing in the advertising they need?