Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Another DVD release from someone other than Elvis, again!!

Sun May 25, 2003 7:37 pm

Take a look at Led Zep's new DVD coming out next week, it is all unreleased concert footage(over 3hrs)and Jimmy Page has also put Bootleg concert footage into it. This DVD is coming from a band with even less footage released that Elvis, this set will be amazing! EPE should take a leaf from Jimmy Page's book (he is overseeing it!) and give the fans what they want.With the Beatles new DVD Anthology and now Led Zep's DVD, i feel Elvis fans are getting shafted again by EPE.
We are getting excited about The 68 and Aloha DVD's but there is nothing new about them, we sould be getting unreleased concert footage.With all the money EPE are making, what is being done with it, BMG are releasing the FTD's and giving us rare unreleased recordings, but what have EPE to show for all the millions we have spent on their merchandise. They say that MGM have the rights to the EOT movie but why can't EPE partially fund it's restoration and release. It might cost them 5/10 million but so what, they can afford it!
The casual fan will not buy the 68 and Aloha DVD's only because there is some outakes of Elvis on it if they already own the VHS versions but you can bet that the casual rock fan will buy the new Led Zep DVD with over 3hrs of unreleased footage on it.
For someone that performed over 1000 concerts it amazing that we only have access to about 6 or 7 hrs of Elvis in concert (offically).

BTW: It's called "How The West Was Won".

Promocollector

Sun May 25, 2003 7:54 pm

Difference is Led Zeppelin own their own unreleased footage. EPE don't own the unreleased stuff from TTWII and On Tour. If EPE want to release stuff with that footage on it they have to hope Turner wants to as well because Turner owns it.

You have to remember as well that this is the first big collection of unrelesed stuff that Led Zeppelin have ever put out. EPE/BMG have been releasing stuff through the years.

Sun May 25, 2003 8:16 pm

Khmm wrote:You have to remember as well that this is the first big collection of unrelesed stuff that Led Zeppelin have ever put out. EPE/BMG have been releasing stuff through the years.

What have EPE/BMG released?? Concert footage that was already shown on TV is nothing to shout about.The only collection of unreleased stuff that was released about Elvis is One night with you and The Lost Performances!! EPE have a lot of money and money talks in this business, so i am sure if they can arrange a deal to get MGM to release EOT and other footage released, they it will be released.

Promocollector

Mon May 26, 2003 4:00 am

MGM doesn't have the rights anymore Turner is owned by Warner brothers Mgm hasn't anything to do with the Elvis mgm titles anymore.

Mon May 26, 2003 4:11 am

EPE and BMG have released plenty. The unseen footage in This Is Elvis, One Night With You, The Lost Performances, The Aloha Rehearsal Show, The Unchained Melody performance, and The TTWII Special Edition. And this year they will release previously unseen footage from the 68 special.

Money is important to Turner and if they don't feel they are going to make any then they won't get involved. Nothing EPE/BMG can do about that.

Mon May 26, 2003 2:04 pm

Khmm wrote:EPE and BMG have released plenty. The unseen footage in This Is Elvis, One Night With You, The Lost Performances, The Aloha Rehearsal Show, The Unchained Melody performance, and The TTWII Special Edition. And this year they will release previously unseen footage from the 68 special.

Money is important to Turner and if they don't feel they are going to make any then they won't get involved. Nothing EPE/BMG can do about that.

Absolutely right. TTWII SE sold so bad they decided not to come up with another expensive project like On Tour. At least that was the official reason in 2000 or whenever TTWII came out ...

Mon May 26, 2003 2:36 pm

see-see-rider -

If Turner/whoever haven't realised yet that the poor sales of TTWII were entirely due to their own inept, crass, useless marketing techniques, then they shouldn't be in business !

With proper marketing [& some half-decent extras] an EOT DVD would be a winner !

There is a lot of world-wide interest in Elvis post 'ALLC' & 'Elv1s'.

They would be foolish not to cash in on this.

Colin B

Tue May 27, 2003 6:01 pm

I also feel that we the buyers are voting by not buying. Until they get their releases uncut, then I ain't buying. That will give a message to the Michael Jackson's of the world that want to withold copyrights. That can take them and shove them up their arse. There is always Laserdisc if I want the originals. There is always film prints if I want the movies...etc. It is out there to be had. Meanwhile the stuff that is not effected will sell and keep selling!!

Wed May 28, 2003 1:05 am

ColinB wrote:see-see-rider -

If Turner/whoever haven't realised yet that the poor sales of TTWII were entirely due to their own inept, crass, useless marketing techniques, then they shouldn't be in business !

With proper marketing [& some half-decent extras] an EOT DVD would be a winner !

There is a lot of world-wide interest in Elvis post 'ALLC' & 'Elv1s'.

They would be foolish not to cash in on this.

Colin B

Colin - Thanks for your answer. Nonetheless I have to disagree a little bit about the "inept, crass, useless marketing techniques". Knowing that it were still "pre-30 #1 Hits-times" when TTWII SE was released I'd say the marketing was more than okay. At least here in Germany. TTWII was featured on Germany's biggest internet-provider's homepage, T-Online, and had several reviews in huge German newspapers and TV-magazines either. There was an exclusive screening on the world's biggest trade show for popular music, the "Popkomm" in Cologne. It also sold amazingly well on Germany's Amazon website. I don't want to disappoint anybody but IMHO the problem it still didn't sell that good is that there're not enough people interested in Elvis. The project was simply too big to work.

I also think that Elvis On Tour would attract even less people. While TTWII mainly built up on the legacy of Elvis returning to live performance in 1970 (some newspapers suggested that it was a 1969 performance BTW), Elvis On Tour does not have this bonus. Elvis looked fantastic and was in great mood on TTWII, he isn't both on Elvis On Tour, mainly through private problems at the time. He's looking pretty pale, the double-chin during the opening credits would be the reason for the usual watcher to come up with old prejudices and Elvis' sometimes strange, sometimes sarcastic behaviour (e.g. showing he middle-finger at the end of All Shook Up in The Lost Performances) would do the rest, I guess.

My question is: How would/could you arrange Elvis On Tour in a way that it would fit a wider audience than just the usual fans? To be honest, I don't know how ... I still think that it's one of the best documentaries on music ever made. I love the film. It's a great piece of film-making IMO. Personally I think it's far better than TTWII when it comes to this. But commercially it wouldn't be a success, I guess.

Wed May 28, 2003 1:12 am

see-see-rider -

Sorry, I was referring to the all-important US market !

They showed a version with 'extras' on TV.

Then they announced the DVD with an hour of extras.

Then they released the DVD without any extras, in fact with less on it than was on TV !

Then they sat back & wondered why it wasn't selling !

In the UK, it was a hit & appeared in our video top ten chart.

Colin B

Wed May 28, 2003 2:46 am

As far as TTWII S.E. is concerned, TV exposure is everything. And I haven't seen any of it in Europe before during or after its release, I'm sorry. A missed opportunity. Although I'm sure since the announcement was made TTWII S.E. didn't sell, it must be a diffrent situation now with ALLC and 30 nr. Hits that have come out with great succes? Hell, they could promote TTWII S.E. all over again as though it was released yesterday!

The 70s are a problematic Elvis-era for the average Joe. Selling a compilation of 1970 concert performances on DVD, featuring a vital and lean Elvis that contradicts the negative image of 70s Elvis forced by some (if not most) media, therefore is in NEED of extensive promotion. This didn't happen the right way ---> TV promotion showing energetic clips of Elvis performing Suspicious Minds, Polk Salad Annie, One Night,...

Reviews in newspapers and radio ads just don't get critical people to rush to the store and get their copy of TTWII S.E. Seeing him explode on the TV screen could have done the trick much better...