Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

SAVCD - THE 1977 CONCERTS.

Sun May 25, 2003 4:43 am

In regard to the recently announced advice that a SAVCD disc is to be released in Chile of the last Tv concert.

We are told that SAVCD = Super Audio Video Compact Disc.

Which is a nice concept - but does not exist.

At least according to Philips/Sony who are merely the inventors of SACD.

And if it did exist how do you play video on a SACD player - as much chance as watching a DVD on a CD player.

Sun May 25, 2003 4:45 am

I thought some of Sony's DVD players also played SACD.

Hope this is helpful. :lol:

:wink:

Sun May 25, 2003 5:10 am

The problem is that a SACD is super audio because ALL the space on a DVD has been devoted to audio.

I understand that only dedicated SACD machines can play SACD and not a DVD machine. But I could be wrong.

That was part of the Philips/Sony game plan - to force consumers into buying their players.

Sun May 25, 2003 5:20 am

KiwiAlan wrote:That was part of the Philips/Sony game plan - to force consumers into buying their players.

One still has to upgrade to the more expensive DVD player that is capable of playing SACD. :(

Here's some info on the player...
Features:
DVD Video & CD Video, DVD+RW, DVD-R/RW (Video Mode) Playback
CD, CD-R/RW & MP3-CD Playback
SACD Multi
FL Display
PAL/NTSC Playback
DVD-V/CD/SACD Text
Multi Disc Resume
Precision Drive 2 Mechanism
Twin Laser Pick Up
Dynamic Tilt Compensation
Block Noise Reduction
Advanced Smooth Scan
30x77x257

Sun May 25, 2003 7:33 am

But this supposed release is on SAVCD.

A dog that won't hunt :?:

Sun May 25, 2003 11:32 am

KiwiAlan wrote:But this supposed release is on SAVCD.

A dog that won't hunt :?:

I don't have a clue what an savcd is. I was just pointing out sacd can be played on some DVD players. :oops:

Sun May 25, 2003 2:02 pm

Is it not just a SVCD. That does exist.

It's a VCD but with better picture quality.

I think they are gonna release this, because there are many movies on VCD from those country.

It would be great to have those shows in good picture quality.

Sun May 25, 2003 5:54 pm

I’m a bit sceptical about this project. The very best video copies of the CBS out takes that are circulating are still some way short of broadcast quality. I’ve no idea what SAVCD is, but if the transfer involves any further loss of picture quality, the whole thing will be pointless. This has to be an unofficial release as there’s no way EPE would sanction an official release of the CBS special itself, and this release is offering the unedited out takes. Of course unofficial doesn’t necessarily mean poor quality, but with this release I have my doubts.