Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sun May 25, 2003 3:53 am

I only like the real thing! No offense there Jamie. :)

Sun May 25, 2003 3:55 am

oh one more thing i missed in your post Keith, to my ears no one sounds like Elvis. they sound like a caricature, only for laughs. but to each his own, right? :)

Sun May 25, 2003 4:23 am

What I believe Keith is saying - if a singer turns up with a natural voice that is similar to Elvis Presley then what do we feel about that?

Should that person never sing or should he distort his voice so that he can never be accused of copying Elvis?

There is no harm in this providing that he is singing material that Elvis never recorded.

It is a harmless way of gathering a little understanding of how Elvis would have sounded on contemporay material.

It does not detract from Elvis in any way. Quite the contrary in fact.

Sun May 25, 2003 6:48 am

If you are born with Elvis voice or close to it, I dont think you have to change it, the only problem is when you make any reference to it. Singing only Elvis songs or for example adding to your CD titles like The Voice of Elvis. Then they lose all the credibility in my opinion.

Sun May 25, 2003 9:16 am

I may be way off base here.. but the whole thing about sound alikes, impersonators, blah blah blah.. its all bogus.. anyone ever heard of a John Lennon impersonator? soundalike? i didnt think so! so why is Elvis copied? it comes off cheesy and a joke. Elvis cant be copied by a sound alike just like John Lennon cant be copied. it just comes off absurd..

Sun May 25, 2003 11:34 am

Julian Lennon sounds a lot like his father, John Lennon.

Lisa Presley sounds like Lisa Presley.

Elvis Presley,"I don't sound like nobody".

Sun May 25, 2003 2:33 pm

The singer in Oasis is what I´d call a John Lennon wannabe or a soundalike. He´s trying real hard, but it sounds like sh*t if you ask me! :lol:

Sincerely MB280E

Sun May 25, 2003 4:04 pm

No, I'm sorry to say, but I don't like soundalikes, impersonators or wannabes.... I always feel somewhat embarressed when I hear them sing, trying so hard to sound like Elvis....

To be honoust, I'd rather have artists (Elvis fans) that try to sound like him, but don't sing Elvis songs or dressing the way Elvis did. These persons look more paying tribute to the King, than the jumpsuit persons....

But most important thing is: as long as you don't overact and try to be respectful to Elvis, than there's not much harm in impersonating Elvis. Unfortunately there are so many horrible impersonators around...

Sun May 25, 2003 4:25 pm

Hey kieth, I think he sounds pretty good vocally. :D
I wouldn't mind hearing more.

:)

Sun May 25, 2003 4:59 pm

I personally have no interest in anyone that 'supposedly' sounds like Elvis (none of them do). I have spoken to Jamie a few times in the past and he's a great guy so no offence intended but if you (Keith) are gonna keep pushing this stuff on the board not all responses are going to be favourable.

I'm not sure you did Jamie any favours last week by posting that Peace In The Valley clip asking us if it was an unreleased outtake. As you found - nobody was fooled. That should tell you all you need to know.

You are pushing this 'soundalike stuff' way to much on the board IMO.

Seriously - the 'comeoutcomeout' clip you posted sounds kinda like Orion if anything.
Last edited by ClintReno on Sun May 25, 2003 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 25, 2003 5:23 pm

I’m not a fan of soundalikes either. If somebody has a talent for singing they would be better using that to come up with something original, rather than trying to sing in the style of another artist. I also think that that there’s no point covering a song made famous by somebody else unless you can better the original, and with an Elvis soundalike that is never going to happen. Great music always has a something fresh and original about it, and this is something that soundalikes or tribute artists cannot offer.

Sun May 25, 2003 5:23 pm

It made me laugh when you said,in your "Peace In The Valley" post,that your friend wanted to remain "anonymous." and finding today he has his own website AND fan club! http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/

I'm sorry Kieth, but to me he LOOKS and SOUNDS like an Elvis wannabe to me. no harm in that,but to say he's natural.

Sun May 25, 2003 6:48 pm

Looking at the pictures, I'm sorry he is an imitator, he can have the same voice than Elvis (no idea I didnt listen to it) but his show is just copying Elvis.

So next time you should use OFF-Topic since he is not related or impersonating Elvis.

Now it makes more sense all those clips with no name and see the reaction.

Francesc

Sun May 25, 2003 8:51 pm

Its funny how the magic is taken away once everyone knows its not Elvis....yet prior to listening an not knowing for sure if its Elvis or not whether it be an outtake made up like the Change of Habit clips posted or some other music, most want more...

Which is understandable.........

However,.......I personally hope Jamie and DC continue to record New material its fun listening to these guys.........the "Come Out Come Out" clip was neat I'm willing to listen to more............

Here or off topic........

PEP 8)

Sun May 25, 2003 9:05 pm

I'll take the Pepsi challenge anytime!! :wink:
Its quite easy!

Sun May 25, 2003 9:21 pm

I don't have quite the same disdain for impersonators as most on this board, but in general I don't care for them, either. I DO have a problem with the grossly overweight morons who parade around in their jumpsuits and sunglasses, but we will never see that fad end.

As for "soundalikes," I have said it before and I will say it again, Terry Mike Jeffrey is an incredible talent. He does not dress like Elvis; nor does he intentionally put on the "Elvis voice." He has worked extensively with the Jordanaires and recorded with the TCB Band; and, what is good enough for them is good enough for me, as they don't pick up and play with just anyone.

Sun May 25, 2003 9:39 pm

But then TMJ doesnt sound like Elvis nor trys to sound like him, thats the difference!

Sun May 25, 2003 9:44 pm

Right. There are similarities between his voice and Elvis, but you would never mistake him for Elvis. Same thing for Ronnie McDowell. It always amazes me to hear people say how much he sounds like Elvis. He might make you THINK of Elvis, but the similarities end there.

Sun May 25, 2003 9:52 pm

I think Jamie goes about things the right way. He never tries to replace Elvis, but compliment and enhance Elvis' image. Some times he sounds like Elvis, other times he has some work to do.

I will never understand why anyone would want to join a fanclub for a sound-alike or tribute artist, but to each his own.

Keith provided an explanation as to why he posted this topic here in the All-Elvis section and I don't see why people are still chirping that he should "put this in the off-topic section" when Keith gave a legitimate reason for this topic to be here this ONE TIME.
Last edited by scotch on Sun May 25, 2003 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 25, 2003 9:53 pm

See thats it... in a nutshell. the reason I am so passionate about this is because I know how original Elvis is, its like as people have put it trying to catch lightning in a bottle, u cant get it, the whys and hows. so when someone has their act of doing Elvis, it just doesnt work.. u can do the mannerisms and the cliches and all that good stuff but it comes down as a parody.. a joke. I dont care who it is. and when people here this stuff, the uninitiated think this is how Elvis sounded because they key in on the mannerisms, inflections and cliches but unfortunately they are misguided.

Mon May 26, 2003 3:56 am

Oh brother, u didnt offend me! lay off the drama will ya Keith. lol geesh!

Mon May 26, 2003 5:16 am

Bye Keith! Even if don't listen to the guy, I can say something . can't I? Becuase the point is not if he sounds or not the question was what we think about soundalikes !!!.

Quote from Mr Flynn

"How do you guys like Elvis “soundalikes” ? I don’t mean the usual “tribute” artists like Ronnie McDowell, Orion, or even Doug Church. I mean genuine people who actually sing the same way Elvis did"

As I say I visited his website and maybe he doesnt want to be a tribute artist, but can you tell me what he is trying like this?

Now tell me he is not impersonating Elvis

+++ Apaprently the author doesnt like the idea that Im showing how he is impersonating Elvis

So hereits a link instead of a picture
http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/picpage1.htm
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 28, 2003 1:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

h.l.

Tue May 27, 2003 5:56 pm

i'm not a fan eather of sound or lookalikes, but you guys ever heart of a guy named Helmut Lotti......he is from Belgium, try to look for the song don't you believe....at Kazaa or something....sounds realy nice...
anybody does know this song from another? from who is the original?

Marcel from Holland

Tue May 27, 2003 6:52 pm

This is the man you speak of hisby.

Helmut Lotti is not an Elvis impersonator. He is a fan of Elvis and enjoy singing his music.
I recently saw Helmut on his last tour through Canada in Hamilton.
His show was outstanding.
He always adds Elvis numbers to his shows and as you can see, he recently recorded a tribute album.
He is not a tribute artist or impersonator. He performs, writes and records his own music. The Elvis music is something he adds to his own shows.

elvis soundalikes

Tue May 27, 2003 11:04 pm

I think 90% of the impersonators/soundalikes are in it for the money, noterity, or whatever. These are the morons who some idiot along the way told them they sounded or looked liked Elvis. They took that to mean they really did and somehow have made a buck off of it. The other 10% are up front that they don't think they are Elvis and may not even sound much like him or even look like him but want to keep the "spirit" of an Elvis concert alive. I have seen exactly one impersonator (Ron Furr) and he sucked. The only memories he evoked were the rare nights Elvis was bad. For those that do it because they enjoy it and do it tastefully, I don't begrudge them their right to do it. Just don't expect me to be in the audience.