Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis the Concert at Wembley

Sat May 24, 2003 2:45 pm

Hi everyone, I'm back at last, Miss me? It's been a while since I've been able to post anything & I will only be able to come on line very in as & when but that's the price I have to pay.

Now to the main part of this post, this evening I & a couple thousand others will be heading over to Wembley to see Elvis the Concert (this is my 3rd time) & I would just like to say to all those of you joining me tonight that I hope you all have a great time, wether it's your first time or hundredth time, I know it's going to be a good show if you want to say hello I'll be four rows from the front in the centre of the row.

Till next time,

Y'all have a good time 'y hear? :D

Sun May 25, 2003 2:25 am

Hi Tigerman,

I was at the Wembley show tonight, and it was my first one. I sat next to a charming lady who told me that she had been to Memphis 8 times and had also seen the concert 8 times. I told her that I had never seen the concert before, and that I had never been to Memphis either. She looked at me as though I had three heads.

Anyway - to the concert. Those who have been before will already be familiar with the setlist, and the addition of the new songs, Mystery Train/Tiger Man in particular, were a real treat. I was astonished at the audience reaction to Suspicious Minds, it is difficult to imagine Elvis getting a better reception if he were in the building himself. The band seemed to be enjoying themselves too, though Ronnie Tutt looked as though he was struggling to count throughout. Indeed, I noticed a balls-up with the introduction of Steamroller Blues, and also Glenn Hardin struggling to stop his music falling off the piano at one point.

Maybe it is the dramatic element of the show, but it is amazing how songs like Bridge Over Troubled Water, How Great Thou Art, American Trilogy etc get a better reception that your average Hound Dog, Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel etc. I am certain that if Elvis were alive today, he would not need to be performing those songs on a regular basis.

All in all a strange yet fascinating night. Great to see the band, great to hear those songs how they really should sound. Yet I never lost the sense that Elvis was never in the building, never mind having left it, which made it all the more surreal that Wembley Arena was more packed than I have ever seen it before for any event. It was chaos near the merchandise stand, and worse for the drinks and the bogs.

By the way, if the bloke who poked me in the back when I stood up for Suspicious Minds reads this message, up yours.

Tue May 27, 2003 1:44 pm

Hi Nigel!

Hope you had a great time!

Andrew.

WEMBERLEY!

Tue May 27, 2003 11:21 pm

Hi guys.
Glad u enjoyed it. I dare say this will be the last one....again!!! But seriously, it's amazing how Elvis can fill an arena 26 years after his death!!! I thought it was ace. Hope to see you at the Elvis collectors' (fan) fare in Harrow on June 7th.
TONY DOBB

Wed May 28, 2003 2:56 am

Great show! Shame the main man couldn't make it.

I've managed to post a few pictures of the Wembley show on my site - who knows - you may even spot yourself in the crowd! http://www.paulreno.com

Wed May 28, 2003 6:59 am

Thanks for those pics Getlo.
That crowd, who'd believe it 26 years after.

:D

Wed May 28, 2003 8:22 am

" By the way , if the bloke who poked me in the back when I stood up for Suspicious Minds reads this message , up yours . "

Stephen , why wait now to vent your anger ! ? You should of boofed him and / or given him a ' Liverpool ' ( kiss ) right there on the spot !
Can you imagine the headlines " Mass riot at Wembley Elvis gig " ) lol

Hang Loose

Wed May 28, 2003 2:53 pm

If your going to get pissed off at everyone who annoys you at a live gig, your going to be chinning people all night.

I had a great time at the Birmingham gig on sunday night, it was just a shame the band took off so quickly at the end. But having seen the show several times now, it never quite captures the very first time i saw it.

Wed May 28, 2003 3:12 pm

Hey Errol, you're right about the first time, I saw it in Manchester in 2000, the next time didn't come close. I also thought if I'm paying the better part of 30 quid to hear Elvis and the band, I don't want to hear the people around me singing along.

There's a whole, massive group of Elvis fans who don't know the difference between a concert, and sitting in front of the television with a can of beer on their own.

Just my two cents. :evil:

Wed May 28, 2003 6:55 pm

sam wrote:Thanks for those pics Getlo.
That crowd, who'd believe it 26 years after.
:D

You're welcome Sam. It was really good to see the place packed with people. Especially when we were going to see a show <i>without</i> the main performer. Surely it must be some sort of record? I doubt a lot of today's stars could fill that venue.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next show this Sunday, at the London Arena.

Better take my camera again - just in case any fighting breaks out! :wink:

Wed May 28, 2003 7:47 pm

For a newspaper review of 'Elvis The Concert' at Belfast Odyssey please go to the following URL:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/featu ... ory=410367

Brian :D :D :D

Wed May 28, 2003 7:55 pm

Hi Brian!

Regarding this quote from the article:

It's sad though that this legend never made it to the UK. Elvis refused to come because of a campaign against him in the Press. The editors listened to his first No 1 Don't Be Cruel and said he would corrupt our youth.

Is there any validity to it? I'm don't think that's the reason Elvis didn't tour in the UK... any thoughts?

Wed May 28, 2003 8:08 pm

I don't think that is why he never toured the UK. I think he wanted to tour the world, but the Col. kept finding excuses for them to stay in the US. :(

Thu May 29, 2003 11:30 am

elvis-fan wrote:Hi Brian!

Regarding this quote from the article:

It's sad though that this legend never made it to the UK. Elvis refused to come because of a campaign against him in the Press. The editors listened to his first No 1 Don't Be Cruel and said he would corrupt our youth.

Is there any validity to it? I'm don't think that's the reason Elvis didn't tour in the UK... any thoughts?

Hi Elvis-Fan,

I personally think that The Colonel did not want to take the risk of Elvis or his entourage being caught with drugs in a foreign country. During the 1970's the authorities were very strict on the possession of drugs. But who really knows? Other excuses have surfaced over the years including (a) not enough large indoor arenas (b) popular enough in own country without having the overhead of a foreign tour and (c) The Colonel being an illegal immigrant.

Brian

can't wait to see....

Thu May 29, 2003 2:26 pm

i can't wait to see the show for the 4th time on the 3rd of june in Rotterdam.......

Thu May 29, 2003 2:59 pm

Elvis coming to the UK also ran the risk of bursting the bubble of popularity which he had here.

His lack of personal appearances here had added to the mystique which had built up around him.

As Jerry Lee Lewis and Bill Haley could have testified, coming to the UK can damage your career !

Strangely, lesser lights such as Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran, found that appearing in the UK gave their careers a much needed shot in the arm.

Colin B