Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Which gets the most play time on your CD player?

Poll ended at Sat May 31, 2003 7:25 am

Good Times
10%
Today
17%
Promised Land
44%
From Elvis Presley BLVD
10%
Moody Blue
19%

Total votes : 48

Which mid 70's album do you play the most?

Sat May 24, 2003 7:25 am

I listened to Good Times all night long and wondered what you guys (that actually think Elvis was still alive after 73) listen to the most.

Sat May 24, 2003 7:58 am

heck my most played 70s album is Moody blue
I dont have the cd but lp and tape

i have worn out two or three lps.
but who knows ill get the cd of it to.

curtis simpkins

Sat May 24, 2003 8:41 am

I listen to all the seventies albums quite frequently, but lately the Moody Blue upgrade CD has been on a bit. :D

8)

Poll

Sat May 24, 2003 8:42 am

Hello Carolyn
There are many members of this board who believe Elvis never put out anything worthy of mentioning after 1972. :roll:
I am not one of them!

Tony

Sat May 24, 2003 10:09 am

I'm more of a singles kind of guy but in general I prefer the stuff from the December 1973 sessions.

Sat May 24, 2003 10:31 am

As I recall, there used to be a poster on this board who believed that Elvis didn't record anything worth listening to after 1958. How ridiculous is that.

Sat May 24, 2003 11:35 am

I think Elvis never recorded anything worth listening to after 1953.

:lol:

Sat May 24, 2003 11:56 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:I think Elvis never recorded anything worth listening to after 1953.

:lol:

:shock: Will I'll be darned!! :shock:

:twisted:

Sat May 24, 2003 12:00 pm

darned like a sock.

:x

Sat May 24, 2003 1:15 pm

Promised Land for sure. I like the song Love song of the year. Probably I'm the only one. I think it's a very good song.

Sat May 24, 2003 1:18 pm

Thijs077 wrote:Promised Land for sure. I like the song Love song of the year. Probably I'm the only one. I think it's a very good song.

Yes Promised Land is a great album. Right up there with his best. :D

8)

Sat May 24, 2003 1:46 pm

The Jungle room sessions.
I refuse to buy the Upgraded version of Moody Blue.
I'll rather buy the old version if cheap.

Sat May 24, 2003 5:57 pm

I would choose “Promised Land”. The title track is outstanding, and shows that Elvis could still make great rock ‘n’ roll given the right material, and the rest of the album features (mostly) good modern country material, with Elvis in fine voice. The recent upgrade that also includes most of the “Good Times” album (which would have been my second choice) is surely Elvis’ strongest ‘70’s studio album post “Elvis Country”.

I always found the “Boulevard” album quite depressing. I’m not really criticising Elvis’ performances here, it’s just that most of the material included on this album wasn’t really to my taste, though I do like “Hurt”, “For The Heart”, and “Danny Boy”. I’ve always found the “Moody Blue” album a more entertaining listen as the live tracks, whilst included out of necessity rather than by design, give the album variation, and I think the majority of the 1976 studio recordings included on this album were amongst the strongest.

Like the “Promised Land” album “Today” starts off with another great ‘70’s rocker and settles into the modern country mode, but I don’t think the material was quite up to the standard of “Promised Land”. Having said that “T-R-O-U-B-L-E” and “Shake A Hand” were fine performances, and whilst Elvis stayed close to Billy Swan’s original with his cover “I Can Help” I’ve always enjoyed his performance of the song

Sun May 25, 2003 5:17 am

Promised Land I probally played the most. I like alot of songs from these albums, but I think the weaker songs make these albums average.
RCA could have made probally 3 good albums of this material.

Sun May 25, 2003 5:45 am

I love all of Elvis's post 72 work, it's my favorite period in fact. I listen to Promised Land most but I Think EP Boulevard is a close second. I also love the song "Love Song Of The Year"

70's

Sun May 25, 2003 6:07 am

Rocks!

Sun May 25, 2003 2:13 pm

Promised Land
The best post-Nashville album IMO. Okay, there're some fillers on this one like the dreadful "Mr Songman" (what was this supposed to be?), "Love Song Of The Year" and "Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming". Paul Simpson, author of the great book "The Rough Guide To Elvis", noticed about the latter one: "Even the combined talent of Roy Hamilton, Clyde McPhatter and Mario Lanza couldn't bring it to life".

The rest of the album offers some fine stuff, from the rocking title tune over great (country) ballads like "Honky Tonk Angel" and "It's Midnight", the wonderful gospel of "Help Me" to the uptempo numbers "You Asked Me To" and "Thinking About You". The "Elvis goes funk" attempt of "If You Talk In Your Sleep" isn't all that bad but it's not really convincing either.

By the end of 1973 - year that brought more ups and downs than any other year before, personally and professionally - he seems to be at ease with his situation. Though the material probably isn't that much better than the July material You can feel and hear the change in the way he's doing it. The voice is back and so is the joy.

Sun May 25, 2003 2:25 pm

I'm a little surpirsed (and sad, too) to see "Today" at the end of this list. Why is that? Okay, I didn't vote for it either. But there must be more users out there that like this album, I guess. One person only? Hey, could you please stand up?

Now, all kidding aside. Of all of his 1970ies albums TODAY is the best sounding IMO. The "original" CD version from 1991 sounds even better than some of the late 90ies re-issues. I don't know why but the sound's great. What do you think?

There's also some of Elvis' finest material on this one: The rocker of "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" that unfortunately never really worked live, "I Can Help", "Fairytale", "And I Love You So", "Green, Green Grass Of Home" and the wonderful but underrated "Pieces Of My Life" and "Susan When She Tried".

Personally I think the track list isn't as good as it could/should be. I made a few little changes and I listen to a totally new album since:

TODAY

"Side A:"
01. Pieces Of My Life
02. Susan When She Tried
03. Woman Without Love
04. Shake A Hand
05. I Can Help

"Side B:"
06. Green, Green Grass Of Home (alt. take from "Great Country Songs")
07. Fairytale (alt. take from "Great Country Songs")
08. And I Love You So
09. Bringin' It Back
10. T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Mon May 26, 2003 9:17 pm

The upgrade version of ,,promised land,,that cd have also the best songs from ,,good times,,.

Mon May 26, 2003 10:16 pm

I enjoy "Good Times" and "Today" out of the lot, I guess.
When I first purchased "Promised Land" many, many years ago, I remember listening to it day after day after day.
I think I listened to it too many times because now I don't.
Songs like "Mr. Songman", "Love Song Of The Year" and "Thinking About You" don't really appeal to me
and are songs I might have heard on radio stations my parents listened to.
Promised Land, Help Me and You Asked Me To are excellent tracks.
Although, I enjoy the "new sound" version of the song "You Asked Me To" more than the original
- those backing vocals on "You Asked Me To" sound rediculous.

Image Image Image

Tue May 27, 2003 6:20 pm

For me, it's a coin toss between the "trio" (Good Times; Promised Land; Today). All 3 are stronger than the 4 studio albums that preceded them. If I had to pick one, then I'd have to go with Promised Land. The upgraded version is as close to a great post Elvis Country studio album (discounting the He Touched Me gospel lp) as we can get.